Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:53:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Time Gentlemen Please, Lee/Herring/Murray's doomed Sky series

Started by Jake Thingray, September 19, 2019, 06:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 19, 2019, 10:29:29 PM
Still the Evil Galactic Empire, though. Ironically, when Americans whinge about British programmes' lack of eps per "season", TGP can be pointed to as an exsmple of how it doesn't work.

Nowadays, away from the big networks, American TV is moving more to the lengths of British TV.

I like TGP. Hamstrung by its length admittedly it still raised a good few laughs. And also admittedly my favourite memory of it is being picked on by the Pub Landlord between takes rather than an actual episode. But it was funny a good proportion of the time.

imitationleather

Just watched the first two episodes. It is still a giggle.

Alberon

Quote from: sick as a pike on September 19, 2019, 07:46:11 PM
Yes I worked with Steve/Jason at around the same time, and like everyone else am confused at the way he's totally disappeared.  I've just remembered he was a slightly late internet adopter and asked me about interesting sites, and I pointed him to a thread on here. One of Neil's favourite things threads, something like "good things on the internet."  So maybe his disappearance is somehow something to do with here.

Maybe he's just not into the internet much and is off living a normal life like one of the actors off of Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes who became a plasterer.

idunnosomename

i prefer to watch it through rose-tinted glasses from under the bedsheets

checkoutgirl

Quote from: imitationleather on September 19, 2019, 09:17:05 PM
Yeah it was the same as one of Stewart Lee's catchphrases from TMWRNJ,

Did he have one that was "Cheg on, you am a twad" or something? Never understood that one.

madhair60

Cuellar

Remember being vaguely aware of this at the time, but assumed it was just a pretty lame sitcom in the vein of Brittas Empire, Prince Among Men, that sort of thing, which I'd 'grown out of' by then.

Only found out Herring wrote it when I started listening to RHLSTP, and I sometimes wonder if it's worth going back to as it might have more to it. Dunno though.

madhair60

I'll definitely check it out if someone can SORT ME AHHHT with it.

imitationleather

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

magval

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 20, 2019, 06:39:06 AM
Did he have one that was "Cheg on, you am a twad" or something? Never understood that one.

Explained somewhere on the Fist on Fun commentary, I'll see if I can find it, but it boils down to "it was an exaggerated version of an already-obnoxious thing to say".

checkoutgirl

Quote from: magval on September 20, 2019, 01:17:14 PM
Explained somewhere on the Fist on Fun commentary, I'll see if I can find it, but it boils down to "it was an exaggerated version of an already-obnoxious thing to say".

Quite niche, which would describe a lot of Herring's stuff.

bgmnts

Quote from: imitationleather on September 19, 2019, 08:55:36 PM
I remember it being incredibly easy to watch about ten episodes in a row because there were essentially the same gags every week. Just stick it on and not think. It was meditative. An early '00s Farming Simulator.

Channel 4 morning fodder, like Frasier or Everybody Loves Raymond.

Same gags and plot every week, but it's comforting and safe.

the

Quote from: bgmnts on September 20, 2019, 02:08:05 PMChannel 4 morning fodder, like Frasier or Everybody Loves Raymond.

Same gags and plot every week, but it's comforting and safe.

That does not apply to Frasier at all.