Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:04:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mate, fucking CO-LIVING in London

Started by alan nagsworth, September 19, 2019, 07:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

imitationleather

Surely the facilities are like apartment buildings where there's a gym and whatnot in the basement.

No-one ever, ever uses them. And they all feel extremely inadequate because of this.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Noonling on September 19, 2019, 09:26:35 PM
I don't understand advertising that has a bunch of smiling people in it. It doesn't make me feel like "that could be me", simply "wow, I wouldn't fit in there".

Come on mate it's meant to make you feel jealous. Get involved!

Twed

Quote from: Flatulent Fox on September 19, 2019, 08:36:33 PM
Sounds like smelly communism to me.
The only communism element of this is people living together. Everything else about it is the logical conclusion of late-stage capitalism.

mippy

I had a look at Tipi. Costs more than our two bed flat for a room about the size of my student halls room. Started to feel depressed that that's what things have come to for anyone who's not wealthy enough to buy their own place here.

imitationleather

Quote from: mippy on September 19, 2019, 09:44:42 PM
I had a look at Tipi. Costs more than our two bed flat for a room about the size of my student halls room. Started to feel depressed that that's what things have come to for anyone who's not wealthy enough to buy their own place here.

"£1700/month for a studio. Where is this? Must be Battersea or something for that price... Oh. Wembley Park?!?!"

Cloud

Sounds shit.  But the housing situation as it is, isn't it pretty much the only way younger generations are going to be able to afford to live these days?

I have the privilege of simply living with my parents (who last I checked don't mind.  I should probably check up more often though) and am more than okay with that.  Not being a relationship person (a self absorbed cunt and not 'outgoing' enough), it's pretty much all choice I have that doesn't involve either something like that, or renting a grotty cardboard box, never going to the pub, and living off cold baked beans and instant noodles.  And approaching 40, rapidly running out of time to start a mortgage, if I'm unable to look after the parents and they end up in a nursing home (which means the house gets claimed by the state, obviously) then some kind of space sharing thing seems inevitable.  Landlords ask eye watering amounts for rental.

If there's a good thing to come from no deal brexit maybe there'll be a housing crash.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteSounds shit.  But the housing situation as it is, isn't it pretty much the only way younger generations are going to be able to afford to live these days?

Unless the great many jobs that don't have to be based in cities and can easily be in towns are dispersed to those towns.

Twed

Quote from: Cloud on September 19, 2019, 09:55:41 PM
Sounds shit.  But the housing situation as it is, isn't it pretty much the only way younger generations are going to be able to afford to live these days?
Yeah but it's largely engineered to be this way. By cunts.

The "getting too old for a mortgage" thing is petrifying. You know it's illegal in many other countries (including the US which usually screws over its citizens) to include age as a factor in mortgage applications? The UK could pass legislation to take the unfair age pressure off entirely, opening up prospects for millions.

It's shit like this, man.

Sebastian Cobb

At the moment the only people living in these 'luxury' student flats for non-students are creatively bankrupt idiots getting grifted. It will only extend to more soulless places for young professionals, without the marketing bullshit that it's somewhat bohemian if people let it, which is an incredibly high possibility.

I've heard such things are cropping up in Silicon Valley. And Google were threatening to beta test feudalism at one point. 

imitationleather

My missus used to work in the coffee shop in a Google co-working building. She said the people who hung out there were such dolts they make your brain evaporate.

Cloud

Quote from: Twed on September 19, 2019, 10:01:18 PM
Yeah but it's largely engineered to be this way. By cunts.

The "getting too old for a mortgage" thing is petrifying. You know it's illegal in many other countries (including the US which usually screws over its citizens) to include age as a factor in mortgage applications? The UK could pass legislation to take the unfair age pressure off entirely, opening up prospects for millions.

It's shit like this, man.

Yeah :(

To be fair, I heard that a lot of lenders are removing age caps these days.  But there's still the basic practicality of the matter: if what you can afford takes 30 years to be able to pay off and still be able to afford to live til then, and you start at 50, and workplaces kind of want you out around 70 before you're a jibbering wreck..... and most pensions except for a lucky few on final salary being designed with "you won't get as much as when you were working but should own your own accommodation by then" in mind... then it doesn't actually solve the problem as you retire and can no longer afford the payments.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 19, 2019, 10:01:50 PM
At the moment the only people living in these 'luxury' student flats for non-students are creatively bankrupt idiots getting grifted. It will only extend to more soulless places for young professionals, without the marketing bullshit that it's somewhat bohemian if people let it, which is an incredibly high possibility.

I've heard such things are cropping up in Silicon Valley. And Google were threatening to beta test feudalism at one point.

Ah right, it seems I've misunderstood and this is more some kind of trend for cunts.  The fact it's a thing in Silicon Valley where people should be making plenty of money says a lot.  I was thinking more of the likely future of larger numbers of people having to co-habit even if they're not family or partners.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Noonling on September 19, 2019, 08:21:40 PM
Reza said he is looking to "assess investor appetite and prove out the strength of the investment market for this emerging asset class".

Nice box of words you got there Reza. Pretty expensive as I recall

Sebastian Cobb

What assets do these twats have when they're renting this arsehole's dormitories?

Flatulent Fox

I'm just thinking about a great way to use all that capitol in the pipeline -  A bigger gold toilet than the one that was stolen!

People from miles around would come and marvel at it,plus a four part drama on the TV about the process itself.

Scene 1 featuring Mr Merchant in one of his favored Velvet jackets...
I couldn't stand by and do nothing about this missing golden toilet.Something had to be done,so I got in touch with English heritage and we agreed to make this new bigger toilet even better.Not bad for a guy who's only 28!

peanutbutter

Quote from: Cloud on September 19, 2019, 10:12:46 PM
Ah right, it seems I've misunderstood and this is more some kind of trend for cunts.  The fact it's a thing in Silicon Valley where people should be making plenty of money says a lot.  I was thinking more of the likely future of larger numbers of people having to co-habit even if they're not family or partners.
The guys in places like that generally ARE making crazy money from what I could gather, it's just Google/whoever have worked really hard to facilitate every thing for them from their freshman year internship to ensure they have no notion of how to deal with any of that kind of shit for themselves and no real desire to find out. Google basically become their mammy in exchange for their brains.

Sebastian Cobb

I bet this guy is like the landlord in Mike Leigh's naked but on an industrial scale.

José

I have the privilege of simply living with my parents (who last I checked don't mind.  I should probably check up more often though) and am more than okay with that.  Not being a relationship person

ah well, at least you've got your anime.

Cloud

Quote from: José on September 20, 2019, 01:39:06 AM
ah well, at least you've got your anime.

And video games.

And a basement (if I use VR)