Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:43:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Started by The Boston Crab, September 19, 2019, 09:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This had a great trailer, with a kind of cel-shaded vector graphics art style and driving vaporwavey hypnogogic dreamy synth-pop (in the vein of Robyn's amazing Heartbeat), but in a way that made me think at a cynical moment that I'd seen it all before. It looked great but too current. Too A E S T H E T I C.

Looks like this:

I kept one side-eye on it but thought with DxM and Link's Awakening and a load of other stuff coming out and so on that I'd like probably skip this time. Then the reviews came in and they were pretty damn good. 85% Metacritic with some seriously blinding comments in certain quarters. I heard that it's basically a video game pop album, which sounded great.

Fifteen minutes in and it's one of the best openings since, ooh, Astral Chain a few weeks ago but nevertheless, it's a great start and it goes from strength to strength. It's exciting, beautiful, the music is gorgeous and catchy, it's easy to play without any tutorials but tough to get a gold rank on each stage. It's probably pretty short but one that is fun just to replay whether or not you're playing for score. It's kind of like Rez in that respect.

Absolutely insane month of games, especially on Switch, but this is a cracking palate cleanser before Link's Awakening and until I exhaust Daemon X Machina and eventually pick back up Astral Chain.

Twed

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 19, 2019, 09:19:35 PMIt looked great but too current. Too A E S T H E T I C.
After watching the trailer I decided I am not too proud to want to sign up for that.

peanutbutter

It's Simogo so I'll obviously be playing this the second I have a machine it runs on (possibly my PC right now?), and I'll be both impressed by the polish and some of the touches but ultimately frustrated that the experience doesn't really work in the way it could.

Although, the gap between this and their last biggish one is absolutely huge, isn't it?

Never played anything by these guys before. I generally can't abide indie games these days but this is great stuff. It's a rhythm game, it's a driving game, it's shooty, it's fighty, it's pretty, arcadey, vaporwavey, call me maybe, get in gravey.

Twed

It's lovely. I didn't expect it to be so feminine. There's something about it that just makes me want to cry the entire time. They did a really good job of making all the action feel like getting over heartbreak.

(gay)

It also has one of the best implementations of "restarting quickly after messing up" I've seen in a game.

Totally agree, really nice perspective. I know what you mean. It's weepy but ecstatic and very soft and girly but also empowering and cool, like A Real Hero from the Drive soundtrack. My favourite song so far apart from the opener is Begin Again, maybe the 5th track. Very pretty and in soft focus but also a triumphant banger. Fucking great game man. I didn't expect this.

Really great little game. Something I can see myself replaying every few months in one go. The music is superb. I finished it over about four or five short sessions but I suspect it's only about an hour long. One of my favourites this year, for sure. Does exactly what it sets out to.

madhair60

Need to get this looks good. Alright bye

Beagle 2

This looks amazing, I really need more money pls send

Also looks like something I can play in front of the boy without it scaring the shit out of him like Thumper.

Pretty obsessed with the soundtrack, might even start a thread in the sordid aids grief lounge

Jerzy Bondov

Just got this, it's on sale in the Switch eshop. Fucking superb. It's like a Dreamcast game.