Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:14:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Good Place Season 4

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 19, 2019, 10:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This returns for it's fourth and final season next Thursday and I can't wait as I love it to pieces, and can never understand those that say it's likeable but not funny as it makes me laugh a huge deal. Also, I've yet to see it but they've recently released a short web series online which someone on Reddit has rather kindly made available to non-US viewers. https://old.reddit.com/r/TheGoodPlace/comments/d3qiaj/the_good_places_6webisode_miniseries_the/?st=k0r7rnp2&sh=c425a386

oy vey

It's about forking time. As usual it's going to be a challenge remembering every plot element thus far but no matter.

NJ Uncut

Holy forking shirtballs

This is the best show in years. Hilarious and lovely. It's rare I even laugh at a show's bloopers.

Plus, philosophically speaking, it does point you at very interesting texts.

Almost makes me believe we're not in the Bad Place

Edit: started immediate rewatch after posting this. Fucking hell it is better second time round? Crass Eleanor is amazing, and Jason is just sublime knowing who he really is. Mythology in this too, fuck me. Friends never had all this

NJ Uncut

Welcome to the opening of The Good Plates!

PlanktonSideburns

olliebean

Thanks for the link to the web series, SMBH - I was wondering if Netflix was going to make this available to us, it seems they haven't.

Icehaven

Please tell me this is going to be on Netflix.

olliebean

Season 4 will be on UK Netflix weekly starting next Friday. They might get around to putting the web series there under "Trailers & More" but I wouldn't hold my breath.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: olliebean on September 20, 2019, 09:06:34 AM
Season 4 will be on UK Netflix weekly starting next Friday. They might get around to putting the web series there under "Trailers & More" but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Holy forking shirtballs it's nearly next Friday!

So excited. I love this show beyond reasonable adoration.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 26, 2019, 10:21:04 PM
Holy forking shirtballs

So many people rave about this show, but this quote is why I can't bring myself to watch it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 27, 2019, 03:18:28 PM
So many people rave about this show, but this quote is why I can't bring myself to watch it.

It's not a big aspect of the show, and you're missing out on what's one of the best and most inventive network comedies of the century by not giving it a chance. And sexy, sexy Ted Danson too.

The new episode is another great one, impressively inventive and very funny, the baby elephant being the best gag for me but Simone in general was excellent, as were Derek and Jason's interactions.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 27, 2019, 03:18:28 PM

It's so original and dazzling it's like the ONLY quote that resonates with anyone

Can quote a whole script if you think your mind can be changed??

The equivalent is like fucking off Stone Cold Steve Austin because you see some cunt in a 3:16 t-shirt (I mention Stone Cold cause he's referenced in this show!)

Brundle-Fly

I've just realised I haven't caught up with the last three episodes of S3 for some reason. Yaay!

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 27, 2019, 05:26:45 PM
It's so original and dazzling it's like the ONLY quote that resonates with anyone

Can quote a whole script if you think your mind can be changed??

The equivalent is like fucking off Stone Cold Steve Austin because you see some cunt in a 3:16 t-shirt (I mention Stone Cold cause he's referenced in this show!)

Well, to be totally honest, it's partly the cutesy language and partly people I know saying it's not really very funny, just nice to watch.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 27, 2019, 09:55:15 PM
Well, to be totally honest, it's partly the cutesy language and partly people I know saying it's not really very funny, just nice to watch.

How much of the show have you watched? I had the same issue as you for about two or three episodes of the first season, as I can't really be doing with stuff that's overly twee with a load of CGI wackiness, which this show has in spades. But honestly, I very quickly learned to tolerate it because the show on the whole is so brilliantly constructed and the world it inhibits is realised to a tee. Philosophically it is extremely sound and wholesome, very intelligently written, and performed by an excellent cast. Once I realised this - and it didn't take me long at all - it became clear that the show wouldn't really work if it was stylised any differently.

I know it's rather a big ask if you're already screwing your face up at it, but I strongly recommend you get through the first season and reevaluate your opinion afterwards. The plot develops at a very fast pace and practically every episode ends on some sort of cliffhanger, each becoming more and more tantalising as it goes on. This show hooked me in hard and I watched the first three seasons in less than a week.

I certainly won't be the first to admit I don't find it hilariously funny, but it is funny. It has its own simple brand of humour but, again, this slots in perfectly with the ethos of the show and the charm becomes wholly apparent once you're sucked into it.

I enjoyed the new episode greatly. As much as I would love to see this go on forever and have been hugely anticipating more development, I will humbly accept that some things deserve to be preserved in amber as being excellent from start to finish, and if this is a taste of how things are continuing to go, fingers crossed we won't have to worry about that at all ... loath as I am to sit through any more of Simone's piss awful Australian accent.

I already fancy D'arcy Carden but when she's playing evil Janet...phwoarrr

NJ Uncut

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 27, 2019, 09:55:15 PM

I thought that for the first two episodes but there was juuust enough of an edge

Beauty of this show is it doesn't stay in the same place for long. It gets proper... affecting, dark even, the cutesy language definitely dies pretty quickly

remedial_gash

Watched the latest ep and while cool was very dense and maybe could have done with an extra ten minutes. Which is odd, because most things are too bloody long.

To people unsure, please give it a go. It's twee and lovely and not that funny really, but it knows it and the general plot arc is wonderfully unlikely for a very (on the surface) mainstream network sitcom.

The performances are exceptional from top to bottom and I think the writers know that they were lucky to get something so odd in tone to prime-time. Just hope they find a satisfying end to it all.

phantom_power

It is surface twee but has a darkness underneath.

NJ Uncut

If you even remotely get into the philosophy it'll blow your mind

Writing this off as twee is like writing off Blood Meridian as A Western

remedial_gash

Quote from: phantom_power on September 28, 2019, 10:21:31 PM
It is surface twee but has a darkness underneath.

Yeah prolly didn't phrase it well - surface twee is in deed what it is.

NJ Uncut

Lovely first ep, but now I have to wait for it weekly gaaaah!!

Ah well, will give me something to look forward to after Big Oil...

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 29, 2019, 09:15:53 PM
Lovely first ep, but now I have to wait for it weekly gaaaah!!

Ah well, will give me something to look forward to after Big Oil...

Even worse is that if it's anything like the other years (which it will be) then it'll stop in early December and there'll be a month's gap before the final few episodes are shown.

Quote from: remedial_gash on September 28, 2019, 09:51:27 PM
Watched the latest ep and while cool was very dense and maybe could have done with an extra ten minutes. Which is odd, because most things are too bloody long

There's another 20 minutes left in the episode, NBC cut it in half to fit in the premiere of the other new Schur show.

Ornlu

Pleased for this. The endlessly twisting, driving plot threads are just a joy to behold.

The cutesiness is still there, just not as overt - I just wish the writers could understand that the word 'butts' isn't a punchline.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Poison To The Mind on September 30, 2019, 04:20:44 AM
There's another 20 minutes left in the episode, NBC cut it in half to fit in the premiere of the other new Schur show.

What, even on Netflix?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 30, 2019, 06:00:17 PM
What, even on Netflix?

I think what he meant was that the season opener was originally going to be a double episode, but because of Schur's new show the second part will now air this week instead of straight afterwards.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 30, 2019, 07:05:37 PM
I think what he meant was that the season opener was originally going to be a double episode, but because of Schur's new show the second part will now air this week instead of straight afterwards.

Oh! That's a better phrase

Long as we get the content, though didn't loads get cut in previous seasons?  (or they had Extended Editions)

samadriel

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 01, 2019, 08:45:43 AM
Oh! That's a better phrase

Long as we get the content, though didn't loads get cut in previous seasons?  (or they had Extended Editions)

Apparently the DVD episodes have a bunch more stuff I haven't seen on Netflix.  Supremely annoying.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: samadriel on October 01, 2019, 10:39:48 AM
Apparently the DVD episodes have a bunch more stuff I haven't seen on Netflix.  Supremely annoying.

WE'RE IN THE MEDIUM PLACE

*does coke*