Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:13:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Good Place Season 4

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 19, 2019, 10:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

It is almost guaranteed to have a hopeful or happy ending. That is pretty much the MO of the series, to show that people can change and be better. The idea that they will succeed because Michael has changed is an interesting one though

surreal

Quote from: phantom_power on November 11, 2019, 11:54:44 AM
It is almost guaranteed to have a hopeful or happy ending. That is pretty much the MO of the series, to show that people can change and be better. The idea that they will succeed because Michael has changed is an interesting one though

I'm expecting it to end with Michael being allowed into the Good Place

Blumf

I think Jason had been a bit too insightful throughout the show. I'll place a bet on him being a sleeper agent, maybe for The Good Place who aren't as dumb as they've been made out to be.

kngen

Have we ever actually seen the (proper) Good Place? Strikes me that somewhere that everything was wonderful all the time would get pretty boring (like playing games on cheat mode), so maybe there's an angle there?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: kngen on November 11, 2019, 07:06:15 PM
Have we ever actually seen the (proper) Good Place? Strikes me that somewhere that everything was wonderful all the time would get pretty boring (like playing games on cheat mode), so maybe there's an angle there?

Nah we just saw the mail room and a couple of those other basic office rooms that one time they all snuck in, but the door to the actual good place was locked shut.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Blumf on November 11, 2019, 01:29:05 PM
I think Jason had been a bit too insightful throughout the show. I'll place a bet on him being a sleeper agent, maybe for The Good Place who aren't as dumb as they've been made out to be.

He does belong in the Good Place: he's stupid, it's not his fault he doesn't understand things

But does come out with amazing wisdom!

I love Jason. Total Jason apologist.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 09, 2019, 07:08:54 PM
That bit made me smile too, as I'm really not fond of the place.

I've been thinking about it and I'm all but convinced the Judge is going to rule in the Bad Place's favour, sending them all to hell, only for Bad Janet to help them escape at some point. Brent might have been on the verge of saying sorry but that's the only non douche bag thing he's done in a year (at least for the right reason) and Simone hadn't exactly changed much either.

Ah, it feels so good to be wrong (and very, very slightly right when it came to the Bad Janet thing). For me that was another great episode, anyhow, the fake funerals were all kinds of sweet and funny, and the madness with the Judge and Shawn and the inept Good Place folks made me laugh a lot too.

samadriel

That bit with all the Janets coming out of portals reminded me of Avengers Endgame.  I consider that a good thing.  Quite an exciting episode, I actually thought there were two left after this, but I'm glad that, having checked, there appears to be just the one.  I wonder if Simone and John are going to show up at all, it seems like a bit of a dangling thread that they just drove into the sunset last time, but actually I'd be perfectly happy not to see them again.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: samadriel on November 15, 2019, 11:28:51 AM
That bit with all the Janets coming out of portals reminded me of Avengers Endgame.  I consider that a good thing.  Quite an exciting episode, I actually thought there were two left after this, but I'm glad that, having checked, there appears to be just the one.  I wonder if Simone and John are going to show up at all, it seems like a bit of a dangling thread that they just drove into the sunset last time, but actually I'd be perfectly happy not to see them again.

Well there's one left this year, but then it returns in 2020 for the final five episodes.

samadriel

Oh! I totally forgot about the end of year pause bullshit, this has me thinking about everything differently... But this episode was still mightily entertaining, it just doesn't quite have the finality I initially imbued it with.

BritishHobo

I love that the show is still going as happily breakneck as ever. In most shows you'd expect the experiment to take up the whole season, then we find out the result at the end. That there's still six episodes left is fucking mad.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 15, 2019, 01:57:28 PM
Well there's one left this year, but then it returns in 2020 for the final five episodes.

oh WHAT

Fuck I've been crying into my pillow thinking this week was the very end of it.

Gulftastic

I did feel my eyes get a bit leaky at that note. Lovely stuff.

BritishHobo

I briefly feared it being a filler episode, but fucking hell that was lovely. My heart broke at little Chidi and his divorce presentation. A nice shining moment for each member of the group, and a wonderful reflection on a character who's become one of the most memorable and interesting TV characters in recent memory for me.

samadriel

I particularly loved that final convo Chidi had with Michael before he got mind-wiped. What a great show, and now I have to wait for yonks to see more. Curse you, NBC!

I guess I picked a good time to get into Brooklyn Nine Nine though. Such yuks!

alan nagsworth

Absolutely fantastic episode. Chidi really is brilliant.

Tell you what, this show is gonna have some seriously good rewatch value a couple years down the line. The journey they've been on since the start has been - and I don't use this word lightly - epic.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 24, 2019, 12:20:44 PM
Absolutely fantastic episode. Chidi really is brilliant.

Tell you what, this show is gonna have some seriously good rewatch value a couple years down the line. The journey they've been on since the start has been - and I don't use this word lightly - epic.

You're not wrong, I was thinking about BritishHobo's post above re: filler episodes and I'm wondering if the show has ever had one, and I really can't remember it if it has.

BritishHobo

Indeed. I've never really seen a show like it where they're so confident to burn through in half an hour an amount of ideas which could keep another show's plot going for a full season or more. Another show would easily have wrung twenty-four episodes out of the first season, another twenty-four out of the breakneck repeated resets of season two's first few episodes. It's so tight and fast and fun that it makes the quieter, more reflective episodes all the more worth it, rather than feeling like unnecessary delays.

Brundle-Fly

Has anybody had any thoughts on how Michael would torture you in the 'not' The Good Place?

I think if he made Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani and Jason be completely indifferent towards me. Even Janet. Now that would sting.

McChesney Duntz

Small Man Big Horse

Yeah, she's a fucking idiot quite frankly.

phantom_power

The Guardian getting it wrong again. It is only complicated if you are a fucking idiot

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If anything, my one complaint about the series is basically the opposite: They kept things too simple, with all the repeated resets of both the premise and the characters.

alan nagsworth

I am by absolutely no means a smart man. I have no academic achievements to my name after my dismal GCSEs and I have the attention span of a backflipping toy dog that's been thrown at a wall by a toddler, but this show is not remotely complicated to me and I love every detail of it.

mjwilson

The whole "jumped the shark" idea is dumb when you put it under scrutiny. Most shows have bad patches and then recover. Even Game of Thrones had one of its best ever episodes during its final season. But once you talk about it jumping the shark you have to pretend that it's an endless downhill collapse once you have a few dodgy episodes.

Then to make a regular column about it in a paper means you have to keep endlessly picking shows then applying this "analysis" to them.

[Edit:]
For example, weather forecasts:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/nov/25/jump-the-shark-televised-weather

PlanktonSideburns

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's back and as funny as ever. I did think Timothy Olyphant was a bit underused, though.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 10, 2020, 04:40:59 PM
It's back and as funny as ever. I did think Timothy Olyphant was a bit underused, though.

I was impressed that all the references this season were included after they'd sounded him out about being in it.

phantom_power

I have been bingeing the show the Judge was talking about as well, and it is indeed excellent

oy vey

Sean's great. I thought he had the best lines this time.