Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:07:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not wanting to go through a wedding

Started by Bobby Ralgex, September 20, 2019, 03:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby Ralgex

The year 2007 - I felt I had to. Looking back I was a twat. I didn't want to.

Didn't last.

This thread title is a real tease, Bobby. I assumed the titular wedding was this weekend.

Bobby Ralgex

No it wasn't. Didn't really get on with her.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

You shouldn't have agreed to marry her then, you dozy git.

Someone will come along soon, and put up an image of Mark and Sophie from " Peep Show" leaving the church in tears  directly after getting wed, I'm sure.

Need to have strength of conviction or you got nothin, I always say.

I once called off an engagement because she said AnCo were shit.

Looking back, she was the most principled human being I've ever met, prepared to die on that hill knowing full well that I would react in the only way I could.

All it would of took was a pair of headphones.

Crabwalk

I'm not convinced that anyone in history has really wanted to go through with their wedding.

Brian Freeze

I wanted to be married, marry the person I was marrying and was very happily married. Didnt want the wedding bit though.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 20, 2019, 06:24:36 AM
I'm not convinced that anyone in history has really wanted to go through with their wedding.

It's just showing off isn't it? That's what annoys me about weddings. It's just proles trying to see what it's like to be famous for a day. Speeches about nobodies when they met each other. Saying doesn't the bride look fuckable 57 times. Unfunny jokes that crack up the audience.

The worst human invention yet.

bgmnts

I hate funerals for the same reason, just replace the word bride with corpse.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

You mean go through *with*, too. Bloody annoying me, that is.

Urinal Cake

Weddings, funerals are ideally once off occasions. Now birthdays and Christmases people always try to outdo some imagined past.

NJ Uncut

I'm sorely disappointed.

I thought this was a rare CaB motoring thread!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAll it would of took was a pair of headphones.

Of you ever thought that was silly?

Johnny Yesno

Buelligan

Quote from: Urinal Cake on September 20, 2019, 06:52:19 AM
Weddings, funerals are ideally once off occasions. Now birthdays and Christmases people always try to outdo some imagined past.

Have I ever mentioned, I don't do birthdays and Christmas?  Never.  Weddings are right out. 

I will, however, allow myself just the one cheeky funeral, just to see what they're like, a dimly-lit funeral for one, no guests, keep it simple, post me back to god with the printable label and forget about it.

SetToStun

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 20, 2019, 06:34:40 AM
It's just showing off isn't it? That's what annoys me about weddings. It's just proles trying to see what it's like to be famous for a day. Speeches about nobodies when they met each other. Saying doesn't the bride look fuckable 57 times. Unfunny jokes that crack up the audience.

The worst human invention yet.

Not always. When my wife and I married a few years ago we just had a few close friends and our families come to the register office and then, when it was all done and dusted, retired to a local pub for Champagne and other drinks until the opened the live music venue next door. Free bar all night and a right proper buffet - not one speech, nothing more than a proper knees-up.

I agree, though, that for an awful lot of people weddings have become a competitive sport - I've been to a couple where the "happy" couple were proud of the fact that hiring the castle, paying for their families' rooms, getting the catering sorted, hiring the wedding planner, table flowers, the dresses and all the other malarkey that seems to come with these things cost them the thick end of £50,000. And the next couple to be getting hitched take all that in and decide they have to spend even more - because that means they'd had a better wedding. Fuck that.

Quote from: Buelligan on September 20, 2019, 08:59:03 AM
post me back to god with the printable label
That's a fantastic way of saying it.

Buelligan

Ta.  Nice of you.

Fuck me Stunners, you're home.  I'll get kettle on.

wosl

In the summer of '95 someone bounded up to me (I knew them quite well) while I was taking a dip in the sea at Zandvoort and said winningly "I'd like to marry you!" And, although becoming married had never vaguely figured in my goals or ambitions - such as they were - in any case, it dawned right then and there that I'd never be capable of the developing the sort of belief you need to go through with an act like that.  Good times.

SetToStun

Quote from: Buelligan on September 20, 2019, 04:26:06 PM
Fuck me Stunners, you're home.  I'll get kettle on.

Buellers! I have truly, genuinely missed being around here - and you're one of the biggest reasons I've missed the place. Sadly this will be but a flying visit so belay the kettle and get the wine out (a slightly-chilled Gamay for preference).

Buelligan

Seriously, please try to come back here more often, you have been greatly missed.

SetToStun

Quote from: Buelligan on September 20, 2019, 04:51:07 PM
Seriously, please try to come back here more often, you have been greatly missed.

You're way too kind but yes, I promise I will try to get a little more free time and come back. Now where's my (lightly-chilled) Gamay?

wosl

We placed a glass near your bad leg.  Don't kick it over.  With your leg.  The bad one.

(apologies if you've actually got a bad leg)

checkoutgirl

Quote from: SetToStun on September 20, 2019, 04:06:05 PM
retired to a local pub for Champagne

Maybe there is hope for the human race.

It's the speeches that get me. It's just....fuck off. They're interminable claptrap. At best.