Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:58:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kill Bill

Started by madhair60, September 20, 2019, 10:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Kill Bill starring Uma Thurman as Kill Bill.

Just finished this, still going through the Tarantenis "enboxed set". Really like it whole way through both parts. What YOU think fuckface

NJ Uncut

Like it but I can't be arsed slogging through it again. Tried to do the third time cause its on Netflix but I just don't find it too gripping. Also not as much fun as his other films

Probably might help if I liked the influences

lipsink

I absolutely loved Vol 1 when it came out but Vol 2 just seemed such a massive disappointment and anti-climax. I rewatched them again recently (I'm also on a Tarantino rewatch) and Vol 1 just didn't grip me as much anymore (even though it's still the better film) Vol 2 does has some fantastic dialogue (apart from the Superman monologue which just seems like someone trying to be Tarantino).

It's weird cos I find that aside from the first 3 Tarantino films the rest don't lend themselves to repeated viewings. I enjoyed Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained on the first viewings but once you know how they play out they just seem a bit dull.

bgmnts

It's miles better than its sequel because half of the film is a massive swordfight, and I like swordfights.

lipsink

The escaping from the coffin scene with the Morricone score playing gives me goosebumps everytime.

imitationleather

I've not watched Vol 2 since I saw it in the cinema. Just remember it being total shite.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: imitationleather on September 20, 2019, 12:34:03 PM
I've not watched Vol 2 since I saw it in the cinema. Just remember it being total shite.

It was, I've not seen Death Proof as the reviews were so bad, but bar that it's easily Tarantino's worst if you ask me. Dull, bland, even the bits it steals from other films aren't that interesting.

madhair60

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 20, 2019, 02:08:32 PMeven the bits it steals from other films aren't that interesting.

WHAT DID I SAY

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: madhair60 on September 20, 2019, 02:15:53 PM
WHAT DID I SAY

I think you're confusing SMBH for me.  As I promised, I haven't made any such comments.

(though, just between me and SMBH, I'm glad he said it - SSSSSHHHHHHH SMBH!!!!)

madhair60

I am and I apologise unreservedly

Shit Good Nose

I didn't put him up to it, I promise.

(SMBH - £1000 electronic transfer on its way.  SSSSSSSHHHHHH - don't tell madhair)

greenman

Quote from: lipsink on September 20, 2019, 11:40:09 AM
The escaping from the coffin scene with the Morricone score playing gives me goosebumps everytime.

The Buck section generally I think is pretty good, the rest less so.

Puce Moment

I think he should have released this as one film, as I think it would have aged better. I would probably think of it as that Tarantino film which is great for 60% of the time, and then the third act goes to shit. But then it does in many films, including Tarantino's, so I could forgive that. But taking the worst parts and making an entire film of it really does poop on the first volume.

Volume 1 is a wild ride, and shows Tarantino focused on spectacle and story. The second just settles into Tarantino ennui.

Inspector Norse

I vaguely remember it being OKish but the start of Tarantino's decline, and indeed the point at which he started being less cool to like, the result being that even his early, good films started feeling a bit seedy and naff, films for 14-year-olds.
Since then I've only watched Inglorious Basterds and that was one of the worst films I've ever seen. But I'm tempted by the praise across the board for the new one.

I never did see the sequel. Did she kill Bill?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 20, 2019, 03:26:06 PM
I never did see the sequel. Did she kill Bill?

No - he was dead by cupboard asphyxiwank by the time she got there.

Inspector Norse

Reassuring to know it had a happy ending.

lipsink

Quote from: greenman on September 20, 2019, 02:47:51 PM
The Buck section generally I think is pretty good, the rest less so.

I kinda love that they made Buck a bit of a sadsack. And that we never find out what he and Bill fell out over.

Ferris

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 20, 2019, 02:08:32 PM
It was, I've not seen Death Proof as the reviews were so bad, but bar that it's easily Tarantino's worst if you ask me. Dull, bland, even the bits it steals from other films aren't that interesting.

Deathproof was utter toilets. Exploitative and unpleasant, but not in a way that was clever or interesting. Avoid.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 20, 2019, 02:08:32 PM
I've not seen Death Proof as the reviews were so bad

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 20, 2019, 05:17:46 PM
Deathproof was utter toilets. Exploitative and unpleasant, but not in a way that was clever or interesting. Avoid.

Well, Kurt IS good in it (of course), and that plate of nachos he's eating in the bar looks amazing.  I keep saying QT should change careers and become a food photographer (note the foot joke has already been done in response to that).  But other than that it is a genuinely terrible film.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The car chase at the end where she's clinging onto the bonnet is good though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 20, 2019, 02:31:16 PM
I didn't put him up to it, I promise.

(SMBH - £1000 electronic transfer on its way.  SSSSSSSHHHHHH - don't tell madhair)

That's the easiest grand I've ever earnt. And the most satisfying too.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 20, 2019, 06:37:43 PM
That's the easiest grand I've ever earnt. And the most satisfying too.

Not as satisfying as the rogering I'll be giving you later.  But it'll be harder.  A LOT harder...

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 20, 2019, 05:58:52 PM
Well, Kurt IS good in it (of course), and that plate of nachos he's eating in the bar looks amazing.  I keep saying QT should change careers and become a food photographer (note the foot joke has already been done in response to that).  But other than that it is a genuinely terrible film.

Mmmm. These IS a tasty nachos!

I can't really think of any other food things I've found notable in his films though. The milkshake and steak in Pulp Fiction? The sandwiches made out of Bimbo bread (with all the crusts cut off like a nonce) at the end of Kill Bill Part 2?

mothman

OK, it was basically a sandwich made for a small child - but how can a native of a nation, which produced something as awesome as the Cuban sandwich, consider that acceptable?

popcorn

Jesus Christ what is it with you people. No one is allowed to make any more Tarantino threads until we all agree that he's never made a bad film. Not even Death Proof.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST EXCEPT TO ADMIT THAT TARANTINO HAS NEVER MADE A BAD FILM, NOT EVEN DEATH PROOF.

imitationleather

Quote from: popcorn on September 20, 2019, 10:43:58 PM
Jesus Christ what is it with you people. No one is allowed to make any more Tarantino threads until we all agree that he's never made a bad film. Not even Death Proof.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST EXCEPT TO ADMIT THAT TARANTINO HAS NEVER MADE A BAD FILM, NOT EVEN DEATH PROOF.

I didn't really like Django Unchained.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Deathproof thread next plz!

magval

I been thinking recently about bits in films that I've never acknowledged how much I love, not properly, after watching the bit in Frankingstein 2 where he meets the auld blind boy. Another is the golf match in Goldfinger.

Kill Bill has one. Herself going into meet Hatori Hanzo and not letting on she knows who he is. That whole scene delights me, start to end. His interactions with the guy offscreen, the way she plays it, the change in tone when she quits playing with him. It's warm and lovely. Don't care if it's nicked from anywhere as no two others could have played it exactly like that.

I like Kill Bill generally. Prefer 2, really like Mike Madsen and David Carradine, but seeing 1 in the cinema with a big gaggle of pals as a teenager set a bar for going to the pictures with friends that's never been challenged.

Always thought that Bill's generalisation that Superman was "not particularly well drawn" was a dialogue clunker. You could say that about a single-author strip (Peanuts or something), but not about a comic published over decades and decades with hundreds of artists.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 20, 2019, 06:30:45 PM
The car chase at the end where she's clinging onto the bonnet is good though.

I, personally, like that bit where our heroines all fuck off and leave their mate to be raped by that feller. What an amusing scene.

popcorn

Quote from: magval on September 21, 2019, 07:46:21 AM
Kill Bill has one. Herself going into meet Hatori Hanzo and not letting on she knows who he is. That whole scene delights me, start to end. His interactions with the guy offscreen, the way she plays it, the change in tone when she quits playing with him. It's warm and lovely. Don't care if it's nicked from anywhere as no two others could have played it exactly like that.

That sequence is extra fun if you know a tiny amount of Japanese and can enjoy how crap her Japanese is.