Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Untitled Goose Game

Started by The Boston Crab, September 20, 2019, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
BJ, when you get round to buying a Switch, you gonna love it.

Blue Jam

Dammit, I still need to get round to buying a PS4 for Death Stranding...

Anyway, here is a review of Untitled Goose Game by someone who doesn't generally play games but is a keen birdwatcher:

https://gizmodo.com/a-birdwatchers-review-of-untitled-goose-game-1838402227

Lovely stuff. Get Bill Oddie on Twitch, pls.

Harry Badger

Was playing this round at my brother's house earlier and my two year old niece was mesmerised by the goose's antics, leading to a minor tantrum when I stopped playing. Result!

Blue Jam

UPDATE: Yep, with a controller this is ace. Fuck you, PC Master Race- and fuck you, hat-wearing gardener. Fuck you and your keys and your Thermos and your fucking pumpkin.

Zetetic

Quote from: Twed on September 26, 2019, 01:22:03 PM
Really interesting, surprisingly political footnote in the game's credits about where this was made, BTW.
Yeah. And the black people are the only goose-tolerant ones in the game.

Genuinely grateful that we've not had to endure a backlash.

Zetetic

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 26, 2019, 10:44:27 AM
I have also wondered if it would work better as an Untitled Seagull Game, as geese are hardnuts but seagulls really are arseholes
I've wondered if it would work as well with a canada goose or an egyptian goose.

Definitely not the former, for me.

popcorn

Guess what, nerds? The game you like isn't that good really.

Obviously it's funny and charming. I love the Englishness of the presentation and setting, particularly the signage. I love how nonthreatening it is. And the basic premise is just so obviously appealing.

The problem is the incompatibility between the player and the goals. They're arbitrary rather than necessary. Make the man go barefoot? Why? "Because you're a bastard goose", of course, but if I'm a bastard goose I should be a bastard goose on my own terms. I'm not really being a mischievous goose if I'm just doing exactly what I'm told, am I?

Basically, you're not given any reason to want to do these things other than being told they're goals unto themselves. It's the game design equivalent of telling instead of showing. In Metroid, you see something you want like a missile upgrade or whatever and make plans to get it - because you know it's useful and you want it. The goal emerges as a natural response from the player. In Goose Game, if the gate is locked, and I notice the groundskeeper is carrying keys, then I should be able to think "Right, I want those keys" and decide to steal them myself. Let me connect the dots.

Of course I'm not finished yet. Perhaps there's a big meta joke coming or somesuch. But this is the problem I'm having with the early parts and I can't imagine something later making them retroactively better. Not even a big meta joke.

Also they should have called it Untitled Goose Game during development and then announced that the title was Goose Game when they launched.

popcorn

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 26, 2019, 10:44:27 AM
I have also wondered if it would work better as an Untitled Seagull Game, as geese are hardnuts but seagulls really are arseholes, and then I remembered how much I hate seagulls and decided I'd rather play as a goose (the movement of the untitled goose is rather satisfying to watch) than as a cuntbeak.

Cambridge was menaced for many years by a swan with the nickname Mr Asbo.

Blue Jam

Quote from: popcorn on September 27, 2019, 03:23:38 PM

Heheheh-, brilliant... and even better, Cambridge is now being menaced by Mr Asbo's grandchild*, Asbaby:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/shortcuts/2019/jun/19/is-asbaby-the-swan-the-terror-of-cambridge-punters-the-grandson-of-mr-asbo

...and before that, Cambridge was menaced by Mr Asbo's son*, Asboy:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/son-vicious-swan-mr-asbo-4046044

*Possibly
**Possibly

Blue Jam

Hang on...

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/swan-mr-asbo-river-cam-14746714

QuoteAfter about three years of attacks and various attempts to curb his anti-social behaviour waterway authorities were granted an emergency licence by Natural England to move the swan 60 miles from the city in 2012.

Windsor Castle is about 60 miles from Cambridge. That "secret location" is the Queen's tum-tum isn't it?

popcorn

Would be good to do a sequel to Goose Game set in Buckingham Palace.

Blue Jam

sponk

Quote from: popcorn on September 27, 2019, 03:23:38 PM

Can imagine a bunch of priviliged posh cunts chortling as they came up with that nickname. Should have called him Mr Bullingdon

Thursday

Picked this up and had a glitch in the first level where the farmer wouldn't come out when I turned the hose on. Absolute shite.

Twed

A good article here with the developer describing how the reactive soundtrack was made (pretty much what you'd expect): https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/23/20879792/untitled-goose-game-nintendo-switch-debussy

madhair60

FUCK-SICK of hearing about this game now.

Me too. Wish I never started the thread.

Cold Meat Platter

Thursday

It's a bit much isn't it, someone made a little novelty game that's quite funny. Now calm down and fuck off everyone.

Twed

It's fine, it will be gone in a couple of months. We've had to tolerate xkcd for 14 years.

Cloud

Cabbers being grumpy old bastards? Say it ain't so

Loving this thing, loving being and utter bullying little cunt to that kid.

Honking errands: the game

a duncandisorderly

where is generous seagull game?

Thursday

Quote from: Cloud on September 30, 2019, 10:36:54 PM
Cabbers being grumpy old bastards? Say it ain't so

Loving this thing, loving being and utter bullying little cunt to that kid.

Honking errands: the game

It's just one of those things where it very suddenly hits an oversaturation point, not really about the game at all.

Mister Six

Help! I'm shit at this. Mrs Six and I had good fun messing about with the gardener but all of the gates leading away from that section are locked. Do we have to tick off everything on the to-do list before the next part opens?

Blue Jam

Baws. I need to nick a pint glass from the pub but I have only found two and I have now broken both of them. Will that woman who obsessively cleans all the tables eventually bring out some more?

I enjoyed making the neighbours argue even more than I enjoyed terrorising the speccy kid. Mwahahahaha.

Blue Jam

Limmy likes it? Of course he does.