Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:37:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Season 14)

Started by selectivememory, September 21, 2019, 07:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

This is back next week on the 25th. Didn't realise it was coming so soon, the last season still seems barely over in my mind.

Lots of Dennis in the trailer, so that's encouraging. It did miss him quite a bit last year when he wasn't in it. I think there was something contractual in his other show that meant that he wasn't allowed to appear in every episode of the previous season (at least, I remember reading something to that effect) so I hope that isn't the case this year.

Hopefully it's a return to form, though even another patchy season like last year's would still make it one of the best things on TV this year.

NJ Uncut

Fuckin hell, that's good news!

Liked Mac's interpretative dance, but understood why it was not funny so much as the show trying to push the envelope further. Not everything is straight guffaw stuff, in this show; I'd say a lot of different comedy is quite well represented, there's often pathos, in amongst the grotesque.

This season needs to have a Mac who hasn't gone in reverse, but is still, or even more so, annoying and horrible. I don't think he will become sympathetic.

Tentatively super duper excited. It's a quality show and the imagination and, yes, the fucking lore, are magnificent

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: selectivememory on September 21, 2019, 07:37:49 AM
This is back next week on the 25th. Didn't realise it was coming so soon, the last season still seems barely over in my mind.

Lots of Dennis in the trailer, so that's encouraging. It did miss him quite a bit last year when he wasn't in it. I think there was something contractual in his other show that meant that he wasn't allowed to appear in every episode of the previous season (at least, I remember reading something to that effect) so I hope that isn't the case this year.

Hopefully it's a return to form, though even another patchy season like last year's would still make it one of the best things on TV this year.

I don't think it was contractual, just that he was busy on the other show and could only do so many episodes (and definitely didn't have the time to write any). I really hope he's in it more, but like you say, even if it's a mixed bag it's still capable of being fantastic.

Twit 2

Shouldn't decide based on the trailer but it doesn't look that great. Hope I'm wrong.

Mister Six

Fingers crossed for this one. The only episodes that flew for me last season were the ones with everyone together (Time's Up and car one especially).

One thing that I hope they don't repeat - and which I hope was just because they were struggling without all of the cast there - is having a largely mirthless, stretched-out first half because they only have enough of the "proper" plot to fill out the back end.

Thinking in particular of the Charlie does Home Alone episode (which spends most of its first act on an extended re-enactment of Culkin's Home Alone montage) and Mac's dance (with the gang trying to do a pride parade, which in any other season would have taken up a good two thirds of the episode, rather than pissing it away because of cast limitations and then doing a fairly tame S&M club skit).

Still, I'm glad it's back. I'd just like it to soar again, you know?

Also, did I somehow miss the entire second season of AP Bio?

up_the_hampipe

Glenn Howerton's sitcom was cancelled so he's back full time. Rob McElhenney and Howerton were posting some funny back-and-forth Instagram videos during the shooting of this season, seems Howerton is directing as well https://youtu.be/qXsECroAZo8

robotam

AP bio is being brought back for NBCs streaming thing. Hopefully he doesn't have to fuck off from Sunny again

Ferris

AsparagusTrevor

I wish Netflix had the rights to release them each week in line with the US airings. I'd like to wait for them all to appear on there but I won't, I'll be getting them each week by other means.

Even though last season was kind of patchy, it still had one of my favourite scenes from the series (beating the shit out of the kids), not to mention plenty of other laughs. It'll be good to have the whole gang back proper.

Also, here's this, here:

Noodle Lizard

It's quite remarkable to think that Season 7 (i.e. Fat Mac season) is now the midpoint of the series.  I don't think there's been much from Season 8 onwards that matches the quality of the earlier seasons, and some episodes are downright bad (the Flowers For Charlie one sticks out as especially awful), but ... I don't have a "but".  Just saying thoughts that I have.  What a waste of time.

Cardenio I

Little Simz on the soundtrack there. Good for her.

non capisco

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 22, 2019, 12:50:51 PM
the Flowers For Charlie one sticks out as especially awful

Written by Benioff and Weiss from Game Of Thrones and half of some weird FX theme night where It's Always Sunny and The League (aka the pauper's It's Always Sunny) both did episodes loosely based on the concept of Daniel Keyes' sci-fi short story 'Flowers Of Algernon', for some reason. Yes, that is fairly comfortably my least favourite episode.

Disagree that there's been a massive drop off since series 8. The most recent series wasn't the best but 'The Gang Broke Dee' and 'Charlie Work' are two of my faves and they're series 9 and 10 respectively.

Mobius

That episode and Frank's Brother are shit. The rest are all good to excellent

Ferris

The ep where they try to win an award for the bar is also very good, and that's a later season.

See also: moving to the suburbs, and the excellent "Charlie work" and "the gang broke Dee" mentioned above which are terrific.

mr. logic

I think Mac and Dennis in the suburbs in my favourite ever episode. Love the water park one too.

The moving to the suburbs is one of the very best episodes. The way Dennis looks at Mac as he hurls his dinner plate down the hallway is just brilliant.

up_the_hampipe

There have been some amazing episodes after season 8. The main problem is they have the Community writer, so they keep doing special themed episodes, parodying genres and so on. That's not what this show is. From the trailer, it looks like that will continue this season, they're even doing an old timey black and white episode. How original and meta!

Yeah, the themed episodes have always been my least favourite. The liberty bell one and the gang turns black come to mind as ones I always skip when rewatching. Being Frank too maybe.

I think there is a noticeable dip but perhaps not as bad as some have suggested. Maybe it's the quality of some stand out episodes that pull everything up, but it's only the last two seasons where I felt there was a really noticeable dip.

The award one is probably my favourite episode full stop, even if only for the song at the end.

JamesTC

The Gang Turns Black is a classic. But then I do love Quantum Leap.

Always Sunny is a remarkably consistent show. I remember not enjoying a season as much in the middle but then it was back to normal.

Still producing so many classic moments up to the latest season. Charlie and Mac beating the shit out of the kids who stole their bike is one of the funniest scenes they've ever done.

Mobius

How can you not like Being Frank! Pondy is one of the best side characters...

I recall thinking it made him a bit too cartoonish and didn't fit in with how he's otherwise portrayed as a character. Pondy is fun though, yeah.

Ferris

I really like the one-offs. It's a chance to be funny and interesting within the established parameters of the show. The team know they go a bit overboard, to the point where the most recent season had an episode where they decry madcap schemes and just tend bar (which ends with a madcap scheme).

To be honest, the show is so good it could do whatever it wanted and I'd still think it was great. Charlie in the bar on his own during the Super Bowl was a properly cack episode though.

Mister Six

I liked the backend as the pain escalates, but it took too long to get there without enough payoff.

H-O-W-L

That superbowl episode was honestly the first point where I've turned off a Sunny episode in sheer disgust for what they're doing to the characters, which is a fucking feat. I love seeing Charlie fuck up and get into scrapes as much as anyone else but the excessively realistic gruesomeness was outright sadistic. Utter shite.

Cuellar

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on September 25, 2019, 12:14:08 AM
I recall thinking it made him a bit too cartoonish and didn't fit in with how he's otherwise portrayed as a character. Pondy is fun though, yeah.

Yeah, I didn't like Being Frank - it sort of zombie-Homered (if I'm using that correctly) Frank, made him just seem completely brain damaged. Not even knowing the names of the rest of them? What? In the episodes preceding it and those succeeding it there's no evidence of the this absolute dissolution of faculties.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I thought the scene with the landlord was really odd in that episode. The landlord seems wildly out of character, cackling maniacally. Then the whole scene revolves around his sandwich. I guess they needed an excuse to knock Frank out so the action could jump forward, but was that the best they could come up with?

Small Man Big Horse

Can't say I loved the first episode, it was okay, had some moments (Frank's email address probably got the biggest laugh of the episode), but felt a bit forced at times, it was nowhere near a disaster, just a very average one.