Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,466
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:59:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Season 14)

Started by selectivememory, September 21, 2019, 07:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Giggling Bean

"Your name is a homage to a hamburger clown" was my laugh out loud line of this episode.

Just wondering how Cricket got into the bar when the Police had cordoned it off.

phes

Only seen up to 7 so far but this has been my least favourite of all seasons to now. Very few laughs at all. The noir episode was a bit of a mess and tired, but was one of the few that had me properly laughing, mainly Dee's voice and visual comedy.

ohnocomputer

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on November 17, 2019, 09:37:36 AM
Just wondering how Cricket got into the bar when the Police had cordoned it off.
He was already on the roof collecting eggs.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They're airing two episodes, including the finale, tonight.

Mobius

Oh awesome. I read something earlier that the episode had leaked, but maybe they've just put them on the FX app or something.

Small Man Big Horse

Eh, I thought they were okay, a bit heavy handed on the message front (even if, of course, they never learn from them), but ending on a bottle episode was a bit frustrating and though they both had their moments neither made me laugh that much.

Mobius

I've only watched the penultimate episode and whilst it had a lot of the ingredients of Sunny I love, yeah it just wasn't all that. I dunno, think I've just had enough after 14 seasons. I never fully recovered from the final episode of last season with Mac's dance.

selectivememory

I really liked the laser tag finale. Dennis and Charlie were both on fine form. But the haircut episode felt a bit off. The abortion/haircut parallels were really forced and heavy handed to the point where they might as well just have made it explicitly about abortion, and I didn't really buy that Dennis or Frank would be that bothered about it all. I mean, protesting outside the hairdressers - what the hell was that? But there were some funny moments. But probably the weakest episode of the season.

Good season though on the whole. I know everyone on here but me hated the film noir episode, but honestly, I don't think there were any outright bad episodes this year, and quite a few really good ones. 

neveragain

The Godot episode didn't work for me. It started off strong but the non-Godot sections (Larry Takashi mainly and the ending with Big Mo) didn't work and there's some good stuff from the play that didn't get referenced; Pozzo going blind could have been shown by Mac and Dee blinding each other with the lazers and seeing Frank do some version of Lucky's speech... I mean, what a missed opportunity!

The Giggling Bean

Got to agree, the series felt like it went out with a whimper rather than a bang. Since they were showing 2 episodes in one night I thought it was going to be a 2 part story. Showing the last 2 episodes in the same night feels a bit like throwing it out just to get it over with.

There was still enough laughs there to make it worthwhile but the haircut episode felt really forced. I'm also surprised they never followed up on last season's finale. Overall it's been a decent season and is still a show that's worth watching.

MortSahlFan

Decent season, but the last two, especially the finale was shit.

spaghetamine

Don't think I've laughed once this season, it's had a good run but at this point they really ought to put this show out of its misery

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mobius on November 21, 2019, 08:33:15 PM
I never fully recovered from the final episode of last season with Mac's dance.

They really should have saved that episode for the last episode they ever do.

neveragain

As spectacular as the dance was, it would be a shame to end the show with an episode focusing on one character's issues rather than something that tackled the group as a whole (like the sinking cruise-ship ep).

MortSahlFan

I'm pretty sick of Charlie. It's the same stupid shit regurgitated over and over. I think Dennis is the most essential.

Clownbaby

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 24, 2019, 10:13:09 AM
There have been some amazing episodes after season 8. The main problem is they have the Community writer

Yep. I don't like this either. Sunny is so gifted with a very distinctive and oddly natural, deranged quality. Reality-bending brought on by paint fumes, glue, alcohol poisoning, dodgy alley-almonds, tainted seafood, TCP, all works obviously in the world built by Sunny. I don't think the borderline glossy themed episodes work so well. To me anyway. They feel like all the shit Medieval/naff historical reenactment ''special episodes'' of The Simpsons which I always switch off. Don't aslk me how the Tredhouse of Horror ones are different, they just somehow are

I was actually fair disappointed with season 14 as a whole. I barely cracked a smile at that laser quest episode. That's never happened with me and any other episode before. Maybe I'm missing something but what was the crack with the music from The Shining throughout that episode? I didn't really pick up on any connection to The Shining tonally or storywise. In  ''Mac And Dennis Move To The Suburbs'' (one of my all time favourites)  aye, but not this one. Maybe I need to watch it again. And the zoo one was fucking shit, it pains me to say. It's a shame because Sunny is my top-teir show, I don't want to see it drag on and go shit before ending, like Arrested Development and Community did. I don't think Sunny will get like that though. There were still plenty fab moments but if I'm being honest, it was patchier than season 13 even with Dennis being in all of it

H-O-W-L

Season 15, if it happens, is really gonna have to grab me by the clunge else I might have to drop Sunny as a whole.

smid

My favourite was definitely Dee's day which people seemed to skipped on this thread. The idea of her lowest of the bullied of the group getting her time in the sun amused me vastly. Plus Dennis with the makeup off looking the worst of the group.

Interestingly that was the one with the old Community writer was that one too.

The season was far better than the previous one, I'd say mainly because Dennis was actually in this season, he was only in half the previous season and even at that, the writing was awful for most of it.

The noir one, was hohum, but better than my least favourite: the liberty bell one.

There's so much of Sunny and such a wide scope, that it doesn't surprise me that half the people here's favourite episode it the other half's least favourite episode. For me the Chardee Macdennis's, Nightman, Waking up black, Mac and Dennis in the suburbs, Charlie work, Frank falling out the window, blood bucket, "the implication" and I can't even remember the other fifteen favourite episodes I missed...

Seems as if Dennis's sitcom still exists, which might affect future seasons... But they manage to keep Dee in it fine when she worked on The Mick... And Danny Divito having other work too.

Cardenio I

Well now Mac, Charlie & Megan Ganz are working on Mythic Quest (as well as David "Rickety Cricket" Hornsby who's written a lot of Sunny episodes over the years) I wouldn't be surprised if they put Sunny on hold for a few years.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Actually they finished shooting the first season of Mythic Quest last March, which means that season 14 was most likely produced after that.

Small Man Big Horse

This has now been renewed through to season 18, which I can't help but think is a bad thing, I love the show but it's already a little patchy and so in 40 episodes time could be rather poor. https://tv.avclub.com/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-will-outlive-even-the-1845855792

Mister Six

I still love it even when it's shaky, and the most recent season (or maybe not? The one with Time's Up) still had some great stuff in it. So yeah, I'm happy. I just hope that they can fit it around their schedules a little more comfortably.

Just got Mrs Six into Sunny and we're going through the episodes at a decent clip, but I want us to watch the hour-long Christmas special at Chrimble. I watched it years ago but have forgotten it all and don't want to be reminded by reading a summary, so can anyone remember which characters are in it and whether it's fairly standalone?

The latest episode we've watched is the one where they try to join the Philly Eagles (feat. first appearance of Green Man). So far we've met the Waitress, Artemis, the McPoyles (Mrs Six loves them), everyone's parents, and Cricket (although only his first episode so he hasn't become a scarred meth-head yet). Haven't yet met the Ponderosas, Old Black Man or Uncle Jack.

Reckon we can watch the special? We'll probably reach season four by Christmas.

earl_sleek

I reckon so. You've already seen all the regular supporting characters that appear in the Xmas episode, according to the Always Sunny wiki.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It almost seems a shame that they've already done a quarantine episode, as I can't imagine the next series won't tackle the pandemic. Then again, they've successfully reused old plotlines before.

Mister Six

Quote from: earl_sleek on December 11, 2020, 01:39:20 PM
I reckon so. You've already seen all the regular supporting characters that appear in the Xmas episode, according to the Always Sunny wiki.

Cheers! Is Cricket in it? That's the one that might cause some confusion depending on where he is in his fall from grace.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Cricket's appearances, according to IMDB:

- Paddy's Has a Jumper (2019) ... Cricket
- The Janitor Always Mops Twice (2019) ... Cricket
- Mac Finds His Pride (2018) ... Cricket
- The Gang Wins the Big Game (2018) ... Cricket
- Charlie's Home Alone (2018) ... Cricket
- A Cricket's Tale (2017) ... Cricket
- The Gang Tends Bar (2017) ... Cricket
- PTSDee (2017) ... Cricket
- Dee Made a Smut Film (2016) ... Cricket
- The Gang Goes on Family Fight (2015) ... Cricket
- Psycho Pete Returns (2015) ... Cricket
- The Gang Squashes Their Beefs (2013) ... Cricket
- Pop-Pop: The Final Solution (2012) ... Cricket
- The High School Reunion (2011) ... Cricket
- The Storm of the Century (2011) ... Cricket
- Dee Gives Birth (2010) ... Matthew 'Rickety Cricket' Mara
- Mac's Big Break (2010) ... Matthew 'Rickety Cricket' Mara
- The Gang Wrestles for the Troops (2009) ... Matthew 'Rickety Cricket' Mara
- The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell (2008) ... Matthew 'Rickety Cricket' Mara
- Who Pooped the Bed? (2008) ... Matthew 'Rickety Cricket' Mara
- Mac and Dennis: Manhunters (2008) ... Matthew 'Rickety Cricket' Mara
- The Gang Dances Their Asses Off (2007) ... Matthew 'Rickety Cricket' Mara
- The Gang Gets Whacked: Part 2 (2007) ... Matthew 'Rickety Cricket' Mara
- The Gang Exploits a Miracle (2006) ... Matthew 'Rickety Cricket' Mara

earl_sleek

Quote from: Mister Six on December 11, 2020, 01:58:26 PM
Cheers! Is Cricket in it? That's the one that might cause some confusion depending on where he is in his fall from grace.

Apparently he appears briefly in a crowd scene if you look closely - I don't remember seeing him in it. I don't think he degrades much between seasons 4 and 6 either.

I first got into the show via a friend who showed me his favourite episodes, so I never saw things like Cricket's decline in order, and it didn't really affect my enjoyment.

Leo2112

The last two seasons have been a real downturn.  In hindsight it was probably best for the show to finish on Season 11's 'The Gang Goes to Hell.'  Though if they stop farming out scripts to average TV writers and have the McElhenney/Day/Howerton team write more episodes again then I think it could still make a decent comeback.