Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:57:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Season 14)

Started by selectivememory, September 21, 2019, 07:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Uncut

Watching it now, and laughed a few times 8 minutes in! Not sure on overall quality up / down, but it's doing its job. Dennis looks a bit thin... but it isn't shit, no, no no!

Shame I have some weird compulsion to upload the episode in 720p to Onedrive and set it to share though. Hopefully nobody minds

Edit: Haha, "Middle America"

selectivememory

I liked that one a lot. Not a classic by any means, but a decent and promising opener. My only real gripe is that Dee was kind of sidelined, although she was very good in the few moments she did have in the episode.

Mac has really become my favourite character in the last few years and he was comfortably the best thing in that episode for me. But I did love Frank and Charlie finding their soulmates in those two weird Austrians.

non capisco

The bit where Mac and Dennis are eavesdropping on the arguing couple and then hear a load of squawking animal noises which subsequently turns out to have just been Dee entering the apartment, loved that bit. Also Charlie and Frank's dawning realisation about how much they loved the two weird Austrian guys was done really well.

The "punchline" about the dead son I saw coming a mile off but it was worth it for Dennis hitting the CD player and "La Bamba" coming out at full blast.

Glenn Howerton looks very gaunt these days, as if Dennis needed to be any creepier.

up_the_hampipe

It was a classic Sunny episode in many ways, so a suitable opener. Made me laugh a few times. Dee being sidelined seemed purposeful.

Moribunderast

Yeah, was probably a 6/10, though I agree that Frank's email brought a howl out of me and I did like how terrifying Dennis and Mac's initial plan was when it first started to unfold.

Mobius

The making a romantic story thing wasn't great and didn't really make sense as a premise but Charlie and Frank were hilarious. A solid enough start.

H-O-W-L

Felt the finale of S13 was pretty good and it drew real tears for me (probably because I've also struggled with The Gay and The God), but if it weren't for NJ Uncut's link (big up propz mah bludd) I might not have sought out S14E1.

up_the_hampipe

Loved the joke where they cut away in the middle of Dee's rant about men not controlling what women do, as Howerton was directing this episode. Also Mac's seriousness when he said "get your hands off me".

H-O-W-L

The Charlie and Frank stuff was fantastic, a straight-up return to form, but the Mac/Dee/Dennis stuff was honestly thin as fuck for me, to the extent that it makes me wonder if the show has run its course for rela.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I thought it was a very funny episode. Maybe not top flight, but I laughed heavily throughout (I had smoked a funny cigarette, admittedly).

chveik

NJ Uncut

Mister Six

I thought that was a solid episode through and through. The romantic film plotline was a bit weak, perhaps, but the highlights (dead child, "You want me to watch you plunge the shit out of your toilet?", Mac and Dennis in bed) were funny enough to make it worthwhile. Was chuckling throughout which already makes it better than about half of the episodes from last season.

remedial_gash

Really enjoyed that, the meta bits with Dee cut off, the squawking and the general idea of rom-com emmy winners and stuff were great. 

That sounds a bit cunty and only for 'the  gang lovers' on reddit , but the rest of it was good to very good. Chuckled a lot and even though the couple's punchline was telegraphed if you've ever  watched any sunny,  I'd still give it 8 out of 5 'Uncle's, 3 out of the best peep show episodes 5 and d 6 out of not the nine 'o clock news'  perfect 11.

7/10 then.

NJ Uncut

"We're here to watch, analyze, critique, and, most importantly, judge."

This new episode I have compulsively uploaded is pretty damn good! Who says straight white men can't have anything anymore?

Mobius

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 03, 2019, 06:28:11 PM
"We're here to watch, analyze, critique, and, most importantly, judge."

This new episode I have compulsively uploaded is pretty damn good! Who says straight white men can't have anything anymore?

Thanks for sharing. The one I downloaded from TPB had audio out of sync in second half :(

Small Man Big Horse

Eh, I had mixed feelings about it, parts worked but others felt a bit obvious.

Mobius

I must say I didn't really enjoy the half I saw. Another sort of 'meta' episode like the first,

Charlie's Fuck You was great though

H-O-W-L

I haven't seen Ep2 yet but on reflection I think if Ep1 had come like, during the middle of Season 5 or something like that I might not have been so sour on it, but after a straight up dead weight season like the last one, Sunny really needed a cleanup of some kind. That was not it.

NJ Uncut

I just like it for what it is. Few series are as good 14 years in

Liked this new one, felt even a bit original, even if it wasn't mega different, particularly unpredictable or classic.. Just glad to have it back, and to be laughing at it, even if it's less funny than what they were doing years ago

selectivememory

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 04, 2019, 10:33:07 AM
I just like it for what it is. Few series are as good 14 years in

Liked this new one, felt even a bit original, even if it wasn't mega different, particularly unpredictable or classic.. Just glad to have it back, and to be laughing at it, even if it's less funny than what they were doing years ago

Agree with this. It's fine. A fairly strong start to the season I reckon.

The actual scenes of Thundergun that we saw though were pretty badly done. The only real weak point of the episode for me. Luckily they didn't linger on that for too long.

up_the_hampipe

I've enjoyed the first two episodes. Classic Sunny without just relying on repeating jokes. That said, "hanging dong" is one of my favourite terms from the show so I'm glad they brought that back.

SteveDave

Quote from: selectivememory on October 04, 2019, 01:45:30 PM
The actual scenes of Thundergun that we saw though were pretty badly done. The only real weak point of the episode for me. Luckily they didn't linger on that for too long.

The broad said the film wasn't finished...

Brundle-Fly

Finally, just started to watch this show on CaB's recommendation from ages ago. A belated thanks. Enjoying it so far. When does Danny De Vito crawl sweaty and naked out of a tent?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 08, 2019, 01:25:35 PM
Finally, just started to watch this show on CaB's recommendation from ages ago. A belated thanks. Enjoying it so far. When does Danny De Vito crawl sweaty and naked out of a tent?

That would be the Christmas special in season 6. He crawls out of a couch.

Glad you're enjoying, you're in for a great ride.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 08, 2019, 01:33:15 PM
That would be the Christmas special in season 6. He crawls out of a couch.

Glad you're enjoying, you're in for a great ride.

I was crying with laughter at the mad Munchkin Lollipop Guild impressions as me and my mates used to tease each other doing exactly that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJSXGj_-Cd8

Ant Farm Keyboard

The second episode was still a little half-baked. All the stuff about piracy tacked at the end, or on PG-13 vs R was quite flat. Yet, outside of Charlie's confusion or Dee's take on the female characters, I loved the stuff about the "passing of the torch", or the final line (Mac, about the TV setting).

neveragain

Ferris

NJ do me a solid and help me out, cos I'd love to see this if it's out there...