Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Season 14)

Started by selectivememory, September 21, 2019, 07:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Yeah I was hoping it'd be like the water park episode. At least, the promotion sold it that way. The zoo was just the background for an outdated "texting's weird isn't it?" commentary.

NJ Uncut

I wouldn't laugh at harming animals, so there's not a ton of stuff to do in a zoo episode that isn't a rehash of, say, messing with kids at a water park

MortSahlFan

Like the 2nd episode (movie test audience), "The Gang Texts" is a good episode. Good use of irony (but should have been said years ago).

Lewman

Bit of a flaky series so far but thought that last episode was quite good. Liked the texting dynamic,  if a little "community"n its writing dynamic. Guess thats what we can expect now with the writers.

Mobius

selectivememory

Genuinely loved that episode. At the start I thought it was going to be terrible, but it quickly settled into what it was doing and there were plenty of laughs, the writing was very sharp and funny, and the performances all spot on. Charlie putting cat food in his drink, and his logic with the bleach/poison thing at the end had me laughing most.

I know some people hate the "Community" episodes, but as they only do about one or two of them a season, I don't mind. They tend to be hit-and-miss for me (the Making a Murderer parody was one I didn't think worked), but I don't think you can begrudge them for getting a bit playful with the show this many years in. Unless of course you really do think the show is rubbish these days, in which case, fair enough, but I think this season has been a big improvement on the last one.

neveragain

I didn't enjoy it. They had the gumshoe speech patterns down pat and yes the performances were great. A few laughs. I just wish it was in the show's standard universe. Would have helped it make more sense.

selectivememory

Quote from: neveragain on October 31, 2019, 12:34:32 PM
I just wish it was in the show's standard universe. Would have helped it make more sense.

Yeah, I did wonder what exactly was going on as both Dee and the Waitress broke character several times. This was too well made to be something the gang had decided to put together themselves, so in the end I have to assume it was supposed to be some kind of glue/cat food fever dream of Charlie's.

neveragain

Yeah I assumed it would end with an all-a-dream reveal and Charlie dribbling in the corner.

Mobius

I just didn't laugh once. The idea was inconsistent too, like you say probably a Charlie glue dream but just sort of didn't make sense as a concept. Yeah the noir acting and stuff was good but is that that impressive? parodying noir is hardly original...

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Mobius on October 31, 2019, 10:24:53 PM
I just didn't laugh once. The idea was inconsistent too, like you say probably a Charlie glue dream but just sort of didn't make sense as a concept. Yeah the noir acting and stuff was good but is that that impressive? parodying noir is hardly original...
I also wonder how many of their fans saw "Double Indemnity" and "Chinatown". I saw them, and it still didn't make it good, although at the first moment, I thought "Oh, I see what they're doing" and expected better. Parody without substance.

up_the_hampipe

Apart from how well it was shot, this week's episode was terrible. Parodying film noir should be grounds for arrest by the Hack Police in 2019. The writing was barely funny, Charlie was a bad choice to be the lead, as Dennis probably would have had a better voice/performance for it, and the whole thing didn't even make sense with all the character-breaking, as mentioned already. I went on the Sunny subreddit, expecting them to be tearing it apart, but they're showering it with praise, some even calling it one of the best episodes ever. I guess the fans are actually enjoying when they play with the format. I've seen better film noir parodies on Whose Line Is It Anyway like 20 years ago, with funnier lines and performances, and they're improvising.

kidney

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 03, 2019, 05:32:04 AM
I went on the Sunny subreddit, expecting them to be tearing it apart, but they're showering it with praise, some even calling it one of the best episodes ever.

From what I've seen they do that with every new episode. Mentalists.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: kidney on November 04, 2019, 01:11:03 AM
From what I've seen they do that with every new episode. Mentalists.

They were fairly critical of the last season.

brat-sampson

Latest episode of Bojack had a pair of Atlantic-Accented investigators and the writing was funnier and they weren't the whole episode so I guess Bojack's the better show so there.

Dannyhood91

Where are you boys watching the new episode?

H-O-W-L

No parody of noir will ever be as entertaining as the first Max Payne game, sorry.

neveragain

In response to dannyhood...

I wish I
Could tell you but
Everyone seems to think it's
Fucking rude to reveal the
Intricacies of their own
Laughable web history -
Mind you I'm
Sick of this already

Ant Farm Keyboard

Latest episode is available at the usual illegal places.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 07, 2019, 01:44:52 PM
Latest episode is available at the usual illegal places.

I am street lega!

IT IS GETTING SO HOT, I WANNA GET UPLOADS OFF

selectivememory

The Charlie and Dee stuff was fantastic this week. It's usually good when the show pairs them up. Feels like Kaitlin Olson has been a bit underused this season, so I was glad to see her get a bit more to do.

The rest of the episode was OK. Dennis getting exasperated with Mac is always fun. 

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 07, 2019, 05:28:15 PM
I am street lega!

IT IS GETTING SO HOT, I WANNA GET UPLOADS OFF

Thanks for sharing these, NJ.  Much appreciated.  Don't suppose you've got a link for last week's episdode, have you? 

Mobius

Enjoyed this episode. Felt more like traditional Sunny, mainly set in the bar.

Not sure if it's the lighting or what but the show doesn't have that grimy feel it used to. Seems to be happening to a lot of shows though, the latest season of Curb was the same. It's like daytime soap lighting.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on November 07, 2019, 07:29:12 PM
Thanks for sharing these, NJ.  Much appreciated.  Don't suppose you've got a link for last week's episdode, have you?

I didn't get it, all the bad reviews here put me off ...

Very good season so far, only two duds for me were the two 'concept' eps; the zoo texting and the noir

neveragain

Was there no new one this week? I'll ask here but then head to Google anyway.

And I'm back. It was solid episode. No great shakes but felt right.

MortSahlFan

Episode 8 just came out. I like these "message" episodes.. Living by algorithms, and then realize at the end, "We don't like it"

up_the_hampipe

Some proper laugh out loud moments this week. Dennis asking Dee "have you been eating butts?" might be my line of the season.