Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

South Park Season 23 starts Sept 25th

Started by NoSleep, September 21, 2019, 12:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh

There's reports that the episode's got South Park banned in China: https://twitter.com/shawnwzhang/status/1180606524831326208. Main South Park website seems to be blocked too.

NoSleep

Actually nice to see satire that causes ripples in the real world. Shows tegridy.

Although it was probably showing Pooh that did it.

backdrifter

Quote from: NoSleep on October 06, 2019, 08:53:08 AM
Although it was probably showing Pooh that did it.

I'd say there are about 10 scenes in that ep that would have gotten the entire show banned in China, if it wasn't already.

I personally LOVED ep 2 and honestly can't believe so many people here want it to be a pure comedy show. This is powerful satire and now millions of Americans get how big an influence China has over Hollywood.

madhair60

I was a little surprised by the reaction on here to be honest

MojoJojo

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 04, 2019, 06:57:54 AM
Which is weird considering just how fucking loaded they are between South Park (to which they own all digital rights) and Book of Mormon. Last I checked, they were each worth a few hundred million. They've always seemed pretty grounded and self-aware, they must know the quality is nowhere near what it once was, and judging by the tone of some of the episodes/interviews it seems as if they're a bit sick of it too. Do they want the money that badly? God knows there are enough insanely wealthy people who still churn out increasingly poor-quality work in order to get more, so maybe it's something you don't understand until you're one of them.

Maybe I'm being overly generous to millionaires, but isn't it possible they don't want to sack a load of people they've been working with for years?

backdrifter

Last time everyone thought they were sick of it and close to quitting (due to the plot of an episode) they said in an interview they still LOVE making it. I see no evidence that this has changed.

rue the polywhirl

Last two episodes have been pretty good and worth quite a few chuckles. Randy very funny atm and Tegridy Farms angle helping keeping it fresh. Mexican Joker was the better quality episode. The Chinese episode felt more daring but they could have gone even further with the satire - I was expecting some Mulan references as well - and the Mickey Mouse character was better than he has been in previous seasons but he still is the closest thing the show has to a humour vampire.

Noodle Lizard

NoSleep

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: olliebean on October 03, 2019, 11:15:23 PM
Just watched episode 2 and I don't think I cracked a smile once. So bored with Tegridy now, and judging from the theme song it's looking like it's going to feature heavily this season. When the fuck did it become the Randy Marsh show?

Yeah, the moment the theme started and I realised it hadn't been a one-off for last weeks episode I quietly said "Oh for fucks sake!".  I can see now that Tegridy is going to dominate this season.  That said, I quite enjoyed this episode.

Quote from: weekender on October 04, 2019, 07:08:33 PMAs a suggestion - and bear in mind I have just Googled "annoying child climate change" - they could do an episode about Greta Thunberg and her parents' attempts to infiltrate world governments.

If they used their "make an episode in a week" brag wisely they'd have made a Greta Thunberg episode this week, or even last week, but it's a hollow brag because they hardly ever use it to actually make something that's this-week-topical.  If we get a Greta Thunberg episode it'll be in 5 to 6 weeks time when they've have plenty of time to think about it, and it won't be any the better for being so late.

weekender

I'm usually a defender of South Park, and thought the first two episodes of this season were fairly strong as I've already noted in this thread, but honestly that third episode felt like a bad one.

I think the only time I laughed was when Cartman threw in Token alongside Timmy and Jimmy as an example of what vaccinations could do to people, and even then it felt like a *very* cheap laugh.

olliebean

Fuck. Cartman is going to be Thunberg, isn't he?

Tombola

It's just become so dry. I like my South Park bonkers, or not at all.

Quote from: olliebean on October 11, 2019, 10:30:55 PM
Fuck. Cartman is going to be Thunberg, isn't he?

No. His ex-girlfriend will and he will naturally try to bring it down with hilarious consequences.

Petey Pate

I've gone on and off South Park over the years but I've found each episode this season really funny. It doesn't help that I find that Trey Parker's delivery is innately funny so almost everything Randy Marsh says amuses me even if in context the material can be fairly weak.

up_the_hampipe

Cartman squealing and running around all greased up was very funny this week. "He was like a hog tornado!"

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 13, 2019, 06:32:24 PM
I've gone on and off South Park over the years but I've found each episode this season really funny. It doesn't help that I find that Trey Parker's delivery is innately funny so almost everything Randy Marsh says amuses me even if in context the material can be fairly weak.

It's probably what keeps the show afloat. Even in the very worst episodes, Parker's delivery will help it along.

olliebean

A possibly meta line from Randy near the start of this episode: "Is it me, or are people starting to not be that stoked about Tegridy Farms?"

selectivememory

It's not been great by any means, but there has been at least one moment in each episode so far this season that's made me laugh a lot. Randy's and Towelie's gleeful cow massacre was the one in the latest episode. Cartman squealing like a pig (and greasing himself up) did it for me in the previous one.

I will say that the There Will Be Blood parody was a bit of an odd and outdated choice, and I've seen loads of people do funnier Daniel Plainview impressions. Even 10 years ago that would have been a bit shit.

mojo filters

I'm not sure what to make of this series so far. The Tegridy Farms aspect has been funnier than I expected as an ongoing theme, but I'm not especially impressed with the actual comedy.

Reliable sources report Parker, Stone and Viacom have just sold the streaming rights to the entire South Park catalogue for $450 - 500m...so at least someone's laughing!

olliebean

This week's was one of the better ones this season, but every week when I start watching I am immediately disheartened when the theme song reminds me that it's mostly about Randy and Tegridy now.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah the Halloween special was sort of fine - would've been a very middling episode even five years ago, but there you go. I have a feeling that whole Mummy subplot may have something to do with Trey's recent divorce, but it was remarkably on-point about a recent tendency or attitude with which people perceive troubled relationships - especially in capital t "Therapy" - which I haven't really seen represented anywhere else. So I'll give it kudos for that.

up_the_hampipe

I know it's really cheap, but Randy being attacked by Weinstein over the phone and the condom joke at the end, that did make me laugh.

JesusAndYourBush

Is next week really the last episode of the season?  6 episodes?  It's pitifully short even when a season is 10 episodes.

mojo filters

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 06, 2019, 06:56:58 PM
Is next week really the last episode of the season?  6 episodes?  It's pitifully short even when a season is 10 episodes.

I think that's just the episode title for E6. I can see scheduled air dates for episodes 7 (13th November) and 8 (27th November) already, but no episode titles yet.

Since that takes us past the usual holiday break, I see no reason why they wouldn't pencil in another two before Christmas - so it may be a truncated 8 episode season, or those could just be dates automatically generated by CC's scheduling, and after "Season Finale" they're off to spend their share of the $500m HBO Max just paid for streaming rights?

NoSleep

olliebean

I'm guessing/hoping the "Season Finale" will mark the end of the focus on Tegridy Farms. Fingers crossed for a return to the usual theme song next week.

Ambient Sheep

It seems likely, especially given the episode description:

QuoteThe citizens of South Park have had enough of Randy and Tegridy Farms and they just want to lock him up.

Have been watching South Park this season for the first time since 2001(!) and have to say that I've been largely enjoying it, even if I'm left confused by the sudden presence of a sentient talking towel. :-)  Still, vastly preferable to a sentient talking turd, which was one of the reasons I stopped watching it in the first place.

Certainly hasn't lost any of its edge: even given the events of S23E02 I was still amazed at "FUCK THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT" in the following one.

mojo filters

Well Season Finale was by far the best episode of these six. Great resolution to the story arc, plus brilliant use of certain much missed characters. Hard to give more details without revealing plot spoilers, but well worth watching!

The Giggling Bean

The only episode I've felt came close to classic South Park was the vaccination episode. That genuinely made me laugh quite a lot. The rest of it has been the usual slog to watch. I do hope that they're done with Tegridy Farm now. It felt like Parker had forgotten how to do Garrisons voice in that last episode. Fingers crossed it'll be back to self contained episodes from now on.