Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 11:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things that you've only just realised (Vol. 2)

Started by Foo Manchew, March 25, 2005, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

fanny, you are Sir Wagalot of Wagshire and I claim my 27p!

SetToStun

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "SetToStun"I think it's because only green on its own means "GO" - green and amber (contrary to popular belief) do not give you carte blanche to set off. In all circumstances a red light means you must stop - a green light doesn't always mean you can go.
I think you'll find it does.  I'd like to know where one can see a traffic light that ever has green and amber on at the same time...  :-)

Bugger! Well, I don't drive often (fortunately, it seems :-)  ). Perhaps I ought to invest in a copy of the highway code...

Rats

Fanny's right, it used to be ruby, amber, emerald but it was proving too expensive so they started to use plastic instead. They wanted to call them rag boxes so amber stuck.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "untitled_london"nope to green = always go.

i failed my first driving test for passing thru a green light.

if you pass thru a green light at a four-way junction, when the traffic in the lane you intend to join is blocked up, it is quite concievable that you will be in the yellow box when the lights turn red allowing the alternative lanes to proceed. therefore, you have positioned you ve-hick-le dangerously.
Well yes, in the grander scheme of things.  Neither do you "go" if there's a car right in front of you, a young mother with a pram lying prostrate in the middle of the road, nor if you notice a Twin Tower collapsing in your vicinity.

I was merely talking about the rules as applied to the narrow little world of the poor ickle traffic light itself.

Sorry to hear about you failing your test in such a crap way, though.  I can sympathise - I failed my first one for driving down the right-hand lane of a dual-carriageway when the left-hand lane was clear.  And the thing is, I did it deliberately, because it was a very short stretch of cabbageway, I could already see the next roundabout coming up, and the signpost said that both straight-on and left took you out of the town, so I *knew* that I would be going right even before he told me.  If I'd got over to the left, I probably wouldn't have been able to get back over to the right in time before I got to the roundabout.

So I got failed for over-anticipating the road ahead.  Bah!

Gavin

When I was a child there was an awful novelty record called "The Umpire Strikes Back" sung by a bell-end pretending to be John McEnroe ("Chalk dust! Anyone can see that there was chalk dust!")

Yesterday I realised it was a pun on "The Empire Strikes Back".

zozman

Quote from: "Gavin"When I was a child there was an awful novelty record called "The Umpire Strikes Back" sung by a bell-end pretending to be John McEnroe ("Chalk dust! Anyone can see that there was chalk dust!")

Yesterday I realised it was a pun on "The Empire Strikes Back".

If I admit that I bought this when I was about 7 can my eternal soul be saved?  *blush*

slim

You can click that little orange page with an arrow on it, next to a topic title, and it will take you to the newest post in a thread.

The time I could've saved; clicking on the last page of a thread and then hitting the end key, or dragging my mouse over to click the (virtually identical) icon next to the name of the last poster... they both took vital milliseconds. I WANT THAT TIME BACK!

zozman

God, I'm ashamed to say this one.  Have you seen those meat adverts with the cricketers?  Beefy and Lamby!  I'm so very, very thick.

Paul Dee

Quote from: "slim"You can click that little orange page with an arrow on it, next to a topic title, and it will take you to the newest post in a thread.

The time I could've saved; clicking on the last page of a thread and then hitting the end key, or dragging my mouse over to click the (virtually identical) icon next to the name of the last poster... they both took vital milliseconds. I WANT THAT TIME BACK!

Haha..I only just realised recently that the page symbol next to the word 'posted' at the top of everyone's posts can be clicked to make that post appear at the top of the screen.

Whenever I've had to link to someone's post that was half-way down the screen I've had to search for ages in their profile to do it.

God, I've explained that awfully.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Paul Dee"Haha..I only just realised recently that the page symbol next to the word 'posted' at the top of everyone's posts can be clicked to make that post appear at the top of the screen.
What really annoys me is that vBulletin forums (DigitalSpy, OG, and others) have that little icon, but clicking it does nothing.  You have to hover the mouse over the quote button, note down the post number, and then hack your own URL accordingly; which is the way I always used to do it in here before finding out about the page symbol.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I didn't 'get' the title of Ideal (that Johnny Vegas sitcom) until about three or four weeks into the run.

zozman

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"I didn't 'get' the title of Ideal (that Johnny Vegas sitcom) until about three or four weeks into the run.

I didn't get it until 7 seconds after reading your post.  What is wrong with my brain lately?  Or is everyone as thick as me but don't admit to it?  ;)

Hobo

Quote from: "zozman"
Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"I didn't 'get' the title of Ideal (that Johnny Vegas sitcom) until about three or four weeks into the run.

I didn't get it until 7 seconds after reading your post.  What is wrong with my brain lately?  Or is everyone as thick as me but don't admit to it?  ;)

I've just got it.

gazzyk1ns

I don't get it, but I've never seen it or read anything about it. Is his character a dealer or something? Or maybe the lead character comes up with lots of ideas, but has problems separating the dot from the main line in an exclamation mark?

Deadman97

Just got it! Thanks BA!

Bogey

Quote from: "slim"You can click that little orange page with an arrow on it, next to a topic title, and it will take you to the newest post in a thread.

Except about half the time it doesn't, or is that just me?

Edit: Like just now, it took me to near the bottom of page two. Hmph.

I love that little orange page clicky. I had no idea what it did for ages!

What a genius contraption.

butnut

I've only just noticed the little thing in the top left corner of posts is orange! Has it changed recently or is it my usual badness at spotting visual things? I'm sure it used to be white.

MojoJojo

I think it's orange if the post has appeared since you last viewed the thread. If it's new in other words. And I had not noticed it before either.

butnut

Oh yes, so it is. Your post is orange, but my one before it is white. Wow!

petercussing

I only realise the other day that the Banoffee in Banoffee pie is an amalgam of the words Toffee and Banana.

I is idiot.

Oh, I never knew that either. Makes perfect sense now.

Lets say we were having a blonde moment.

Bogey

Well yes, that does raise (not beg) the question, what the hell did you think was in this mysteriously named pie?

I knew it was banana flavoured but apart from that I never really gave it any thought. I have never eaten the hideous item though due to a terrible debilitating fear of the fruit.

I suppose I'd always assumed it was a kerraazzzeee American name for something rather ordinary much like Mississipi Mud Pie etc.

EDIT for dubious spelling of the river's name. Still not right, no doubt.

VorpalSword

Quote from: "Bogey"

Except about half the time it doesn't, or is that just me?

Edit: Like just now, it took me to near the bottom of page two. Hmph.

I believe that when you log in the 'system' makes a note of when you have done so and shows you all the posts since your last visit in by flagging them with the orange post icon. However a limitation of phpBB is that the 'new post' icon will only take you to the newest post there was as you logged in. The only way to get it to always take you straight to the newest post everytime is to keep logging out and then back in. This is of course inefficient and it means you can only keep up to date on one thread.

The orange button can be ignored after the first time you use it for each thread though, if you have a good memory. After you read the newest posts, just remember whatt page you were on, and the next time you want to look at that thread in the same login session, remember the page, go to it and the use the Page Down key to keep strolling through until you see a flash of orange, denoting the new post. Of course, if you're reading a lot of threads, you have to have quite a good memory.

Like anyone gives a shit.

Plank

'HP sauce...houses of parliament on the label...of course, it all makes sense now. The HP stands for houses of parliament!' *slaps forehead*.

That was me yesterday as I was putting brown sauce on a bacon sandwich.

Robot Devil

Does it?! Fucking hell, count me in the slaps-forehead brigade.

Jemble Fred

There was a whole documentary on the origins of HP Sauce on BBC2 some time last year. Can't remember why it was made, but I seem to recall Andrew Marr interviewing a lot of politicians about it.

Morrisfan82

Well I never! You're right:

QuoteThe original recipe for was invented and developed by FG Garton a grocer from Nottingham. F.G. Garton's Sauce Manufacturing began to market HP Sauce in 1903. Garton came to call the sauce HP because he had heard that a restaurant in the Houses of Parliament had begun serving it. Garton sold the recipe and HP brand for the sum of £150 and the settlement of some unpaid bills to Edwin Samson Moore.

HP Sauce became known as `Wilson's Gravy' in the 1960s and '70s after Harold Wilson, the Labour Prime Minister who, it was alleged, used to cover his food with the sauce. The allegation was neither confirmed nor denied by Wilson.

The brand is now owned by Danone.
The Wilson's Gravy part probably spurred the documentary.