Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:39:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things that you've only just realised (Vol. 2)

Started by Foo Manchew, March 25, 2005, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercussing

Quote from: "Bogey"Well yes, that does raise (not beg) the question, what the hell did you think was in this mysteriously named pie?

I dunno, really, i'd never thought about it due to my infrequent encounter with this dessert. Like ol' Burn-o i thought it was a crazy yankie name.

It's an English dessert, though, fact fans. And it's made with condensed milk, the most dense milk.

zozman

This should probably be in the other thread, but are evaporated milk and condensed milk the same thing?  Only reason I ask is that I made a rice pud the other day and put the "wrong" one in.  Still tasted very nice though.

MojoJojo

No, they are different. Not entirely sure how.

Apparently very hard to get condensed milk which isn't "light" now. According to mum.

petercussing

Evaporated milk is less dense. Nothing is as dense as condensed milk. Not even dark matter.

zozman

Your right - I've just been googling.  Condensed milk tends to be thicker and much sweeter (40% sugar!  fuck!).  That's why your mum can't find light stuff.  Evaporated milk is just milk with about half the water removed.

Top bit of thread de-railing though I thought.

zozman

Quote from: "petercussing"Nothing is as dense as condensed milk.

I hereby challenge you to speak to the "assistant" in my local dry cleaners.  She puts dark matter to shame with her densisity.

Quote from: "Plank"'HP sauce...houses of parliament on the label...of course, it all makes sense now. The HP stands for houses of parliament!' *slaps forehead*.

That was me yesterday as I was putting brown sauce on a bacon sandwich.

I am ashamed at not having realised this little bit of culinary knowledge before now.  And you seem to have managed without me for the condensed / evaporated milk question.  I feel quite superfluous.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "zozman"Evaporated milk is just milk with about half the water removed.

How do they do it?  I've always had fantastical thoughts of big milk evaporation chambers in the middle of nowhere, painted green with gold turrets where inside the milk would float around in swirling languid clouds.  A bit like the awful Baileys ad but without all the Media Studies students in there.

zozman

Gazeuse

No it's not...They remove the water troughs from the fields. Yet another example of farming cruelty.

Slackboy

Re: South Park: Token's full name is Token Black in case anyone cared.

Re: Mississippi: always double esses and double pees.

Ambient Sheep

Chalk up another one for "Ideal" (although to be fair I've not seen the series, although I know the main premise), but I did know about HP sauce, although it took me a while too before I sussed it.

Quote from: "Gazeuse"No it's not...They remove the water troughs from the fields.
I assume you're joking?!?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"

Quote from: "Gazeuse"No it's not...They remove the water troughs from the fields.
I assume you're joking?!?

Nah it's true. And they make ice cream by putting cows in freezers and force-feeding them strawberries.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"And they make ice cream by putting cows in freezers and force-feeding them strawberries.
Ah but of course!  How could I ever have thought otherwise?  Silly me.

Quote from: "Slackboy"Re: Mississippi: always double esses and double pees.

Waaah, I was so near but yet so far.

Gazeuse

And those cattle grids aren't for keeping cows in fields either...Oh no!!! The farmers run the cows over and over them before milking so that they produce pure butter without the need for extra machinery.

Anything for a quick profit.

Bastards.

gazzyk1ns

Yup, and you know when you see a farmer chewing on "a piece of straw"? That's actually the remnants of a cow's tail, they eat the poor things live and whole.

petercussing

Yay! It's turned into a thread about milk.

The high sugar content in condensed milk is why it's used to make the toffee in banoffee, as it is heated up until it's caramelised, making the brown gloopy bit.

Fact: Did you know that most farmers, because of economic reasons, still milk there cows when they are ill and/or have teat infections, so that all the puss goes in with the milk. Mmmm, milk-a-licious.

And milk is carcenogenic, and in the U.S., the growth hormone they inject their cows with is also carcenogenic, making U.S. milk ultra dangerous. That's a warning to you VegasLA, don't drink the milk!!!!!!

And milk makes our bones grow incorrectly if you drink milk prefusely throughout childhood as it is meant for infant cows and makes our bones thicker than they should be.

Go Team Milk!!!

Sorry for thread jacking.

And milk makes you well mucus-y (muscus filled?). If you are a singer you should lay offa the dairy produce in order to sing better.

Or something.

Quote from: "Burn The Witch"And milk makes you well mucus-y (muscus filled?). If you are a singer you should lay offa the dairy produce in order to sing better.

Or something.
This is true.  It coats your throat, meaning you have to strain to sing properly.  I used to do a lot of choral tours during school holidays and had to lay off all dairy produce, including chocolate, in order to be able to do a two hour concert every night for six weeks.

You should also steer clear of all the dairy stuff if you suffer from eczema or asthma too. Don't know why, but it helps enormously with the symptoms, so I understand.

butnut

Having more time in the company of singers than is recommended, I too back up that statement.

slim

In Firefox, under Tools/Options/General/Fonts & Colors, there is a "Minimum Font Size" box which I can use to stop fuckers straining my eyes with tiny text. HA!

untitled_london

Quote from: "slim"In Firefox, under Tools/Options/General/Fonts & Colors, there is a "Minimum Font Size" box which I can use to stop fuckers straining my eyes with tiny text. HA!

ctrl+scrolly wheel on the mouse is a nice "on the fly" way to make reading easier too.

slim

Yah, I knew that one. I was fed up with having to do it on every other page though :)

untitled_london

i have a spare profile which the mrs uses.

being dyslexic, she prefers the pages to be in certain colours, and the fonts a certain size.

it takes some of the fun out of the internet when you force it to all take one colour scheme, but, it does save her from getting headaches etc, so who am i to complain.

Rats

Ah, I didn't know about the scrolly wheel thing, It just makes the text go smaller on mine because I've got the font set big already because my monitor doesn't like 1024xwhatever at a high refresh rate and I heard it's bad for your eyes if the refresh rate is low so I'm on a higher resolution. Changing text size in your browser doesn't work for this site so I usually zoom at 150% in avant browser when I log in. It makes things look funny and you can't select some shit, when I'm reading I always highlight things with the mouse for fun, I have a trolley full of snouts and cakes as well. but at least you can read it without straining your neck.

untitled_london

i thought a higher refresh is better for you...

i was under the impression that a low refresh rate = headaches and eye strain.

mind if i nab a cake ....

Rats

That's what I said isn't it? Am I going mad? Get off my cakes?

Rats