Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:34:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Circle (Channel 4)

Started by Ja'moke, September 21, 2019, 01:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Has anyone seen this Channel 4 reality-gameshow?

I recently binge-watched the entire first series, which originally aired last year. The best way to describe it is a cross between Big Brother, Gogglebox, and The Mole. While some of the contestants are annoying as fuck (that's the Big Brother comparison), the concept is intriguing enough that if you stick with it for a couple of episodes you'll find yourself becoming strangely addicted.

Basically, it starts with 8 contestants living in an apartment complex. Each of them lives in a separate apartment and can't see one another. They can only communicate via social media (an app made specifically for the show). All of them select a profile photo and create a bio. There is a main group chat, but they can also private chat with each other. There is a newsfeed where The Circle sometimes posts "hot topic" articles to get them debating. Every couple of days, the contestants have to rate each other out of 5 stars. The top two highest-rated become "influencers" and must then "block" one of their fellow contestants (which means that person is eliminated).

What makes it interesting, and gives it its strategic element, is the fact you can pretend to be anyone. So while some of the contestants are just themselves, others create a fake persona. For example, one guy pretending to be a girl (using his girlfriend's photos). An over-the-top gay guy pretending to be straight. A sweet Welsh girl pretending to be a granddad. And so on. This is where The Mole comparisons come in.

Also, when a contestant is eliminated, they can choose to visit one of the other players. That leads to some tense interactions (the finale episode where the final four contestants meet is brilliantly compelling). Oh, and after someone is eliminated, a new player enters the game (this eventually stops). The overall winner receives £50,000.

I believe the second series started this week, but I haven't seen any of it yet.

Any other lapsed Big Brother/The Mole fans checked it out?

imitationleather

Sounds interesting. I'd seen adverts and it didn't look my cup of tea (too many reality TV-types, basically) but your write-up intrigues me.

Might actually give an episode a go.

Ja'moke

Quote from: imitationleather on September 21, 2019, 01:28:06 PM
Sounds interesting. I'd seen adverts and it didn't look my cup of tea (too many reality TV-types, basically) but your write-up intrigues me.

Might actually give an episode a go.

Yeah, I think that is what initially put me off when I saw the ads last year. There are definitely reality-tv types involved and that can be off-putting. But if you can grit your teeth through those personalities for a couple of episodes you'll probably become invested in the concept. And by the end I even ended up quite liking a couple of the players.... very much like Big Brother.

georgetaylor

I enjoyed the first few years of big brother, and this is similar, interesting from a people watching perspective and didn't suffer from too much interference from TV production types.
I was drawn in by the promise of Alice Lavine presenting (a lie), but stayed for the poker strategies and the photo of the winners girlfriend.
Says series 2 begins 24th Sept.

BritishHobo

I meant to post about this last year but never got around to it. Like you two, I was wary of it, thought it looked like exactly the kind of thing I would hate. But I ended up hooked really quickly. Far from a cynical, modern thing, it actually felt like it showed a really genuine look at how people interact with each other and how they view their friendships with each other. I found it often to actually be really nice. But yeah, more than anything, it was fucking exciting. Every time a person who'd been kicked off went to visit someone, I found it genuinely properly tense. And fuck me, that final reunion. I almost physically couldn't watch it, it was so horrific. Everything funny I'd been expected just became real and horrible in a moment. That's what's powerful about the set-up.

I wonder how different it'll be this year. Last year it all felt a bit improvised, which I quite liked. There was no set voting day or eviction day, so you never quite knew when one was going to happen. It was really unpredictable and fun in that way. Whether they structure it a bit more this time, who knows. And it's possible the contestants will approach it in a completely different way, knowing how the first series went. I think there'll be much less trust. I'm excited.

Ja'moke

Quote from: georgetaylor on September 21, 2019, 01:49:34 PM
I enjoyed the first few years of big brother, and this is similar, interesting from a people watching perspective and didn't suffer from too much interference from TV production types.
I was drawn in by the promise of Alice Lavine presenting (a lie), but stayed for the poker strategies and
Says series 2 begins 24th Sept.

You might want to spoiler this in case anyone wants to watch the first series.

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 21, 2019, 01:58:24 PM
I wonder how different it'll be this year. Last year it all felt a bit improvised, which I quite liked. There was no set voting day or eviction day, so you never quite knew when one was going to happen. It was really unpredictable and fun in that way. Whether they structure it a bit more this time, who knows. And it's possible the contestants will approach it in a completely different way, knowing how the first series went. I think there'll be much less trust. I'm excited.

I'm definitely intrigued by how it will change this series--both in terms of production and how the players approach the game. Emma Willis is now hosting it and I believe the prize fund has been upped to £100,000, so already it feels "bigger". But like you, I really liked how off-the-cuff the first series felt.

SOME SPOILER-Y STUFF BELOW ABOUT THE FIRST SERIES BELOW...

I imagine the contestants will be a lot more suspicious this time around, and yet I think we'll also get a lot more deception and gameplay. They really hit the jackpot with the winner of the first series being a "catfish". If one of the genuine players had won, then we'd probably see fewer lies and less strategy in the new series because people would think the only way to win is to be honest. And while honesty is a great trait in real life, it doesn't make for an interesting gameshow.

JesusAndYourBush

I saw the first series after watching one of the early episodes partly out of curiosity and partly because there was nothing else I wanted to watch and then got hooked and stayed with it until the end.  The people seemed to be ordinary people and not the fame-hungry types that Big Brother attracted, but now there's already been one series it'll be interesting to see if the vetting process has gladly accepted those kind of people or weeded them out and chucked them in the bin.

Ja'moke

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 21, 2019, 06:22:07 PM
I saw the first series after watching one of the early episodes partly out of curiosity and partly because there was nothing else I wanted to watch and then got hooked and stayed with it until the end.  The people seemed to be ordinary people and not the fame-hungry types that Big Brother attracted, but now there's already been one series it'll be interesting to see if the vetting process has gladly accepted those kind of people or weeded them out and chucked them in the bin.

I mean, Freddie was definitely the type that would have been on Big Brother if it still existed.

Dr Syntax Head

I found it strangely warm in a way most reality shows are not. Looking forward to the new series

Ja'moke

New cast revealed: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/g29175095/the-circle-2019-cast-new-contestants

Starting with two catfishes this time, including a 43 year old mum playing as her son. I'm glad we have a woman playing a young guy this time.

lgpmachine

What do they actually do when they're in there? They don't meet each other, so are they essentially in solitary confinement for the duration?  Or do they just turn up for filming a couple of days a week then go home again afterwards?

Ja'moke

Quote from: lgpmachine on September 23, 2019, 10:20:58 AM
What do they actually do when they're in there? They don't meet each other, so are they essentially in solitary confinement for the duration?  Or do they just turn up for filming a couple of days a week then go home again afterwards?

They're in solitary for three and half weeks. But they can leave their apartment to go to the building's gym, yoga room, or rooftop garden. Obviously they have to go at separate times as not to bump into each other. Also, unlike Big Brother, they can bring in books and puzzles and other items to keep them amused during the downtime.

Ambient Sheep

I wasn't able to watch this last year for reasons, but a friend of mine did and loved it.  I'll see if I can't squeeze this year's into my viewing schedule.  That's my useful contribution.

Ja'moke

We were right to be worried about them meddling with the show in the new series. According to the Daily Star, Richard Madeley will be taking part for a week and viewers will get to choose which character he plays.

I really don't think the show needed that kind of gimmick. It's only the second series.

Ja'moke

BritishHobo

Unanimous irritation on Twitter for the Richard Madeley news on Twitter, and I have to agree with them and you. Higher-ups in TV really are just fucking idiots, aren't they? This was a HUGE unexpected hit last year, everyone loved it for what it was. So, of course, their first thought is LET'S CHANGE IT!

Ja'moke

I don't actually think the ratings were strong last year though right? Despite it being well received by those who did watch it. So I suspect they're hoping the Madeley twist will give it a bit of a ratings boost and that those new viewers will stick around.

BritishHobo

Did it not? Fair fucks. I think I'd just assumed from how much they were pushing this that it had been a bit of a sleeper hit, and they were excited to take advantage of it.

I do hope it doesn't monopolise the show too much, 'cos I've been enjoying the opener so far. Tim is cracking, and I quite like the Scouse lad. It is good fun watching them all scope each other out.

Ja'moke

I think word of mouth really picked up for the first series after it finished airing. I only caught up with it in the past week because I'd seen more people talking about it online.

But yeah, this first episode shows the core format just works. It's great seeing them size each other up and try to work out who is real or not.

Tim and his cat, such a good find.

BritishHobo

Eurgh, Madeley in presenter mode.

BritishHobo

Fuckin hell, what a damp ending!

Ja'moke

The ratings increased for last night's premiere, so that's a good sign at least.

There's also an American version that recently finished filming in the same Salford apartment block. It'll be airing on Netflix.

Ja'moke

Things I didn't think I'd see in 2019... Fatboy Slim's son flirting with Richard Madeley.

up_the_hampipe

I will start watching this show - even though it sounds like one of those terrible shows you'd see in the Fifteen Million Merits episode of Black Mirror - purely because I miss Big Brother.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 27, 2019, 09:46:20 AM
I will start watching this show - even though it sounds like one of those terrible shows you'd see in the Fifteen Million Merits episode of Black Mirror - purely because I miss Big Brother.

Do it!

BritishHobo

I like seeing the immediate reactions of blocked people to finding out who all the catfishes are, but otherwise the live show feels pretty pointless - and again, people on Twitter seem fairly united in disliking it and disliking all the stuff about immunity and twists. It's not really adding much, and distracts from what makes the show so fun to watch.

George Oscar Bluth II

Yeah no need for the live show. Particularly when I watched it this afternoon, when it was not live at all.

Genuinely quite surprised that only Tim has sussed out "Jay" yet!

Ja'moke

I wasn't sold on the Richard Madeley twist at first, but I've got to admit, it's won me over. I was worried that the whole show would revolve around him, but that hasn't been the case. He's just part of the group and some of the tasks he's had to do have been funny.

Tim is well on to "Jay," but I'm surprised no one is really questioning "Sammie," especially after she posted another photo with the baby. I feel like if I was in there that would scream that the baby is just a prop.

BritishHobo

Yeah, the little mission for Madeley has won me round a lot. It's a great way to mix things up without actually trying to turn the contestants themselves into villains, like Big Brother. I'm looking forward to seeing what tricks he has up his sleeve to get himself booted.

I think I would try to identify who's close, then blatantly lie to each of them about something the other has said about them. Tell Georgina that Tim was slagging her off and I don't trust him, then tell Brooke Georgina said she's thick or something. Then just wait for them to get together and realise I've made it all up.

I think Sammie's doing well at not being too show-offy, or too big a presence, so nobody is giving much thought to it. I think it's dead interesting to see how paranoid he gets. It's easy for me to watch and go 'why are you getting defensive, they're only asking questions out of genuine interest', but when you're sat in that room on your own, and only getting written messages, it must be much harder to gauge tone. I'd get paranoid as well. Don't reckon Sammie will be an influencer again - or if she does, people will soon turn. I like him though, he seems like a good laugh.

BritishHobo

I really hate that cliffhanger shit with not saying who's been blocked. If it's a good compelling show then we're gonna watch tomorrow anyway. We're gonna watch to see who the nlocked person meets, watch to see what happens with Madeley. It's shit and lazy. I'm more likely to switch off because of the celebrity guests than a lack of characters.