Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,209
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Death Wish 3, tonight ITV4 2210h

Started by Blumf, September 22, 2019, 09:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

The solemn meditation on crime, community, and redemption is perhaps Michael Winners greatest work (after defending some lesbians).

RLM review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgbPUHfBJA0

Shit Good Nose

Debut of the blue leather jacket, mail order rocket launcher, Martin Balsam using a full size howitzer, death of The Giggler, dreadful score by a newly sober Jimmy Page, villain death so good they did it again in another sequel. 

Masterpiece.

Epic Bisto

The Sistine Chapel should be painted over with stills from this film.

"How do you it was him?"
"Oh, it was him."

"I hope you like chicken. It's the only thing I know how to make."
"Chicken's good. I like chicken."

The one thing that would have improved it is replacing the guy who looks a bit like Ernest Borgnine with Ernest Borgnine.

Epic Bisto

MY SHOP!  MY SHOP!  MY SHOP!  MY SHOP!  MY SHOP!

One of my favourite things about this film is where it was shot.  If you're simple enough or just squint a bit, the first half does a good job of trying to look like a war-torn section of New York, rather than a patch of Sarf London.  The second half feels like London all the way.  All the stuntmen have a certain look to them (the one picking his teeth with a grenade, the one who gets a nail in the head), that sort of Newcastle-Brown-drinking, 3 packs of B&H a day, (to quote Taylor Parkes) sausage-sandwich-eating-motherfuckers look to them.  They all look like they're called Derek.

Also, Alex Winter's character is supposed to be Hispanic.

Yeah, I was not surprised to see Ricco Ross and Tip Tipping turn up, if that's what you're getting at.

Shit Good Nose

My favourite story from the making of the film is how Bronson had a top-end Jag with a driver all to himself to drive him from his trailer to the set.  Which was about 10 feet away.

Also always worth mentioning that Chuck was 64.

Obviously less entertaining is Marina Sirtis' experience of the shoot.  Perhaps save that for a separate thread...

Epic Bisto

Quote from: A Hat Like That on September 23, 2019, 11:59:51 AM
Yeah, I was not surprised to see Ricco Ross and Tip Tipping turn up, if that's what you're getting at.

Definitely.  You spend most of your time waiting for Roy Kinnear to turn up as a chainsaw-wielding Yardie.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Epic Bisto on September 23, 2019, 11:39:23 AM

Also, Alex Winter's character is supposed to be Hispanic.

I worked with a young lad who looked the spit of him.

Shaky

Bronson is still the epitome of most-elderly-action-star-ever, even if the likes of Ford and Stallone have him beaten at this stage. I think his decrepit aura is enhanced by the fact he barely even moves in films from the early 80's onwards. The fucker literally just stands still in every scene. Maybe says two words. Genius.

I remember catching the start of one of the Death Wish films, in which the main villain hurls a shop dummy into a vat of acid.  I didn't watch the film past it's beginning, but I have a feeling that was almost certainly foreshadowing some character's fate...

magval

Lads how class is this film? Should I watch it?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: magval on September 24, 2019, 08:32:12 PM
Lads how class is this film? Should I watch it?

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 22, 2019, 10:17:42 PM
Debut of the blue leather jacket, mail order rocket launcher, Martin Balsam using a full size howitzer, death of The Giggler, dreadful score by a newly sober Jimmy Page, villain death so good they did it again in another sequel. 

Masterpiece.

magval

Should I watch it without the first 2

Shit Good Nose

Mr Banlon

New York graffiti artist visiting London is asked to graff up the Death Wish III set by Winner : https://youtu.be/uEbh97UbIgM?t=1103

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Shaky on September 24, 2019, 02:20:45 PM
Bronson is still the epitome of most-elderly-action-star-ever, even if the likes of Ford and Stallone have him beaten at this stage. I think his decrepit aura is enhanced by the fact he barely even moves in films from the early 80's onwards. The fucker literally just stands still in every scene. Maybe says two words. Genius.

Absolutely, the aged Bronson's blatant "Couldn't give a shit, mate" attitude while wandering through those action films is to be applauded. Who here among us wouldn't follow his lead if, in our dotage, people kept throwing wads of cash our way while asking for no more than the barest minimum of effort? Nice one, Chas. The ultimate pension plan.

Blumf

I honestly had no idea that Bronson wore a syrup until watching that RLM review, I've always assumed that he had naturally thick, lustrous hair.  It's a pretty convincing piece, no?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 22, 2019, 10:17:42 PM

Masterpiece.

Page didn't write a single note. They just reused his score from Death Wish II.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-death-wish-soundtrack/

George White

Quote from: A Hat Like That on September 23, 2019, 08:44:51 AM
The one thing that would have improved it is replacing the guy who looks a bit like Ernest Borgnine with Ernest Borgnine.
Martin Balsam?
Nah. He's just as good as Borgnine.
They did work together in an astonishing sounding Italian prison actioner called the Last Match, about a NFL pro named Cliff Gaylor, played by a dubbed Oliver Tobias whose daughter is ratted for drugs Midnight Express-style, so Cliff and his mates (Including a few NFL stars) team up and raid the prison in American football gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA5gdep1axc
Also, Henry Silva and Charles Napier

BlodwynPig

Was The Giggler in more than one film? Hate that cunt

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on September 28, 2019, 08:14:28 PM
Page didn't write a single note. They just reused his score from Death Wish II.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-death-wish-soundtrack/

Soundtrack wise DW1 with Herbie Hancock is the winner.

PowerButchi

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: PowerButchi on September 30, 2019, 09:31:10 PM
Death Wish 2 is the best one.

I was watching it a few years back and remembered somebody on here (possibly [banned troll]) talking about an inappropriate synth sting from Jimmy Page when Bronson returns home to the aftermath of the horrific gang rape and sees his daughter's unicorn ornament on the floor. So when it happened I lol'd a little too hard considering I had company. 3 is best.

Egyptian Feast

Previous post also qualifies for the 'Strange, random, out-of place things in films that make you laugh' thread.

Quote from: PowerButchi on September 30, 2019, 09:31:10 PM
Death Wish 2 is the best one.

Just tried to watch that, but binned it during the rape scene. Michael Winner was such a leering piece of shit, an incompetent, fatuous hack with no moral compass or artistic integrity. I don't care how many lesbians he defended against Richard Littlejohn.

The first film is more contemptible than the sequels, as it presents itself as a fairly serious, gritty piece of social commentary. Is it fuck, it's an offensive right-wing fantasia. At least Death Wish 3 doesn't attempt to be anything other than an utterly stupid action film.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 01, 2019, 01:44:01 PM
The first film is more contemptible than the sequels, as it presents itself as a fairly serious, gritty piece of social commentary. Is it fuck, it's an offensive right-wing fantasia.

Often wonder how the original Sidney Lumet directed version with Jack Lemmon would have panned out.  On the one hand Serpico probably wouldn't have happened, at least not with Lumet, but on the other - Sidney Lumet directing Jack Lemmon as a middle aged vigilante...

Blumf

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 01, 2019, 01:53:45 PM
Often wonder how the original Sidney Lumet directed version with Jack Lemmon would have panned out.  On the one hand Serpico probably wouldn't have happened, at least not with Lumet, but on the other - Sidney Lumet directing Jack Lemmon as a middle aged vigilante...

Was going to say, in Charley Varrick he showed some gritty chops, but no, you were talking about Jack Lemmon, not Matthau (thanks, brain!)

What's the grittiest Lemmon ever got on film?