Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:06:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Death Proof (car film)

Started by madhair60, September 23, 2019, 11:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Saw this other night on my Tarantrails, not sure if it was very good but I did enjoy it. The exploitation/grindhouse trappings felt laboured and obvious but I enjoyed the last act quite a bit when the Ladies turn the tables on Stuntman Mike

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What did you think about the " Ha Ha, that hapless bird ,just left there by her mates, is clearly going to get raped " scene (as mentioned in another thread)?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I hated this film at the cinema and have never felt the need to reassess it in the years since.

The ending is Tarantino having his cake and eating it, after that scene with the actress and the rapist redneck.

madhair60

There's far worse in real exploitation cinema so I wasn't really bothered. It was so cartoonish (with MEW saying "gulp", even) that I found it difficult to get upset about

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't like how it was clearly a mixture of scenes stolen from other movies. Even though I've never seen it.

Ahem. Sorry. I just want Shit Good Nose to have sex with me again.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 23, 2019, 12:20:40 PM
Ahem. Sorry. I just want Shit Good Nose to have sex with me again.

You exhausted me the other night.  I need at least three weeks to recover.  And I say that as someone who has quick-turnaround and good stamina as about the only things I've got going for me sexually.  You animal (wink).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 23, 2019, 12:26:58 PM
You exhausted me the other night.  I need at least three weeks to recover.  And I say that as someone who has quick-turnaround and good stamina as about the only things I've got going for me sexually.  You animal (wink).

I'll pm you on the 14th then.

lipsink

There's lots to like about Death Proof: Kurt Russell, the main crash half way through, the soundtrack and its cool to see Tarantino do kind of a slasher film. The first half at least is great but it does kinda drag towards the end. It's just nice in Tarantino films where you feel like you're just spending time hanging out with the characters (I know a lot of people find the characters in Death Proof annoying but I don't).

I also found it incredibly hot for some reason when Rosario Dawson is beating the fuck out of Stuntman Mike at the end.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 23, 2019, 12:28:43 PM
I'll pm you on the 14th then.

In my diary.

Full disclosure - I haven't actually seen the Grindhouse version of Death Proof, only the full-fat one.  I get that it's got all the trims and everything to make it like a 70s/80s piece of Z-grade cinema, but is it that different?

Dusty Substance

Tarantino may have said that Death Proof will be "the worst movie I ever make" and said it was a "left-handed" film, but I absolutely love it. I rate it above Django , Hateful Eight and Jackie Brown - More alongside Reservoir Dogs and ...Hollywood.

Goldentony

this is better as part of grindhouse, on it's own it's a self indulgent load of shit with characters it's impossible to like and fuck all of interest going on for fucking donkeys so cutting all the dogshit out and making it shorter was very wise. Get that version. The obvious thing here is for someone to reply to this and go ahh ha well see he's always been olverindul-fuck off.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Ultra-violent filmmaker Sylvester Stallone apparently turned down the role of Stuntman Mike in Death Proof because he found the character's M.O. distasteful.

https://www.looper.com/37666/actors-refused-big-roles-tarantino-movies/

Stallone would've been good in that role, but I bet he turned it down because his massive filmstar ego demands that he always has to be the killing spree hero, not the killing spree victim.

Or maybe he just thought the script was shit.

I only saw the long version. It was pretty boring, with some nice visuals and a good soundtrack. Am I right in thinking that two very minor characters (policemen/detectives) also appeared in Kill Bill?

magval

Yes, Michael Parks has played that Sherriff since From Dusk Till Dawn. He also plays the "where's BEEL?" guy in Kill Bill 2.