Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:40:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Aniara

Started by another Mr. Lizard, September 24, 2019, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

another Mr. Lizard

Coming to Blu-ray soon from Arrow, and I've been told it may already be available via Prime etc - I caught Aniara at the cinema this weekend on a very limited big screen run, and was very impressed. Scandinavian SF, in the stark, cold manner of the post-'2001' era and fitting in nicely with the past decade's trend to revive such austere, stately space fare (Interstellar, Moon, First Man, Gravity, Ad Astra, The Martian, Passengers, Arrival, Soderbergh's Solaris etc). This may be the best of that bunch, and at times is more like a folk film than a bit of hard tech science fiction ('that' scene from Midsommar even gets an onboard-spacecraft equivalent here, in one of the sex/orgy scenes that merit the 18 rating, and there's near-worship of some of the ship's equipment). Use of white-on-black title cards to show the passage of time - but with added significance - is every bit as effective as the way The Shining used the same idea (at my screening, the audience audibly gasped at one of the onscreen captions late on). I won't say too much about the plot, as this needs to be discovered and allowed to unroll before you. Those who are as old as me will know exactly what I mean when I say that this is reminiscent of the type of fare that used to get sprung on us in BBC2's 'Film International' slot 40 years ago, and for me it will stick in the mind like the best of those Beeb Sunday night screenings did circa 1980.

Dog Botherer

little bit of a bump on this but i watched this the other night and i've been thinking about it ever since. well worth watching, it's on Hulu for non-pirate folk.

another Mr. Lizard

This thread got pushed so far down the pile that someone started another slightly more productive/popular one that you might have missed, Dog B...
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,77440.0.html

Dog Botherer

thanks, somehow i'd already posted in that thread and forgotten about it