Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:25:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Great Pulp Debate

Started by 23 Daves, March 25, 2005, 10:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favourite Pulp album?

It
0 (0%)
Freaks
0 (0%)
Seperations
4 (3.3%)
His N Hers
33 (27.5%)
Different Class
49 (40.8%)
This Is Hardcore
15 (12.5%)
We Love Life
19 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Voting closed: March 25, 2005, 10:00:10 PM

23 Daves

On the subject of "missing extras", there's been some outcry in the Pulp community over the last few years that "The Cuckoo Song" (which was supposedly recorded for "We Love Life") has never gained a commercial release.  In fact, there was a whole ton of material for that album that was supposedly performed live, recorded, then scrapped, and it makes me wonder if we'll ever hear any of it.

A box set would be nice, to be honest.

Cack Hen

These reissues are also going to have sleeve notes by Jarvis himself.

Ciarán2

Well, the reason I bought the NME this week was because it had Jarvis in. He talks about the new single, on being known simply as "Jarvis" for his solo stuff (a move which I quite like) and on his nervousness about entering the pop/rock world again after 5 years absence. I'm really hoping his stuff will be good. I love "We Love Life", me.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Jesus Christ, is it really five years? I feel old.

Cambrian Times

I just heard "Cunts are still running the World"

It's not as good as the Relaxed Muscle stuff, but I may change my opinion .

Although having said the that, Jarvis using the word "Cunt" is a bit like Seeing Doctor Who punching a child

lazyhour

Quote from: "Ciarán"He talks about the new single, on being known simply as "Jarvis" for his solo stuff (a move which I quite like)

Ack, it just makes me think of http://www.jarvisplc.com/!

I'm very much looking forward to hearing the studio recording of We Can Dance Again.  I'm possibly one of the few who really liked Chevette's cover of it at the time, and still rather like it now.

Ciarán2

I like "Running The World" a lot, I look forward to it being out properly.

I don't know what Jarvis PLC involves, but if it's anything to do with Martin Jarvis, you can forget it! I can't stand the guy. He always ruined Countdown...

Darrell

Quote from: "Paul Dee"I don't understand why Moloko Woman's cover isn't featured on that disc though, if they're going with the Bad Cover Version b-sides of Different Class songs. She did Sorted for E's and Whizz didn't she?

Probably because these reissues have finally realised that people buying Pulp singles always shuddered when the word "Moloko" was printed anywhere on the back.

thewomb

I'm so excited about these reissues. New Pulp songs! Some of which ('The Boss' + 'Live On') have been the holy grail for fans.

Jemble Fred

Great Jarvis interview at the back of the new Radio Times – I've never liked the guy so much, he doesn't put up with any of the interviewer's cosy shite and lambasts the BBC... except for CBeebies.

It's weird to see his thoughts filtered through the fucking shit RT mill though – the exclamation mark at the end seems out of place, for a start.

Bernard

Different Class.

It's funny how, often, a label know an album's going to be wildly successful before it's released and they make the effort with the packaging/artwork.

I got the impression Pulp knew they wouldn't be able to top this album. Sortof like Ricky Gervais and The Office ha ha ha.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Cambrian Times"I just heard "Cunts are still running the World"

Although having said the that, Jarvis using the word "Cunt" is a bit like Seeing Doctor Who punching a child

It's not the first time.  See The Professional, one of the This Is Hardcore B-sides from 1998.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Bernard"Different Class.

It's funny how, often, a label know an album's going to be wildly successful before it's released and they make the effort with the packaging/artwork..

I got the limited CD version of that album with all the alternative card sleeves you could slot in.  Lovely idea, but in practice, a right royal pain in the arse - after opening it up a couple of times, you couldn't help but tear the card.  Particularly annoying if you wanted to read the lyric sheet which was in amongst it all.

Bernard

I only had tapes in those days, but was very impressed with how it was a chrome tape rather than the usual material.

humanleech

"The Fear" is actually the only great pop song ever written.

hoverdonkey

Different Class for me. Misshapes is a minor anthem and got me through the macho lad bollocks of the mid-nineties

Jemble Fred

Jarvis is presenting a new show on Radio 4 about art school rock, starting this week. But then you all probably already knew that!

Ciarán2

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"Different Class for me. Misshapes is a minor anthem and got me through the macho lad bollocks of the mid-nineties

I don't like "Mis-shapes" now, although back in 1995 I did relate to the lyric, I've come to change my mind. I could go into tedious detail, but I won't. It's that line "oh what's the point in being rich/ If you can't hink what to do with it/ Cause you're so bleedin' THICK!" At the time I thought, "ha, yeah, most of the people round where I live do live in squalor because they're thick, unlike me". I realise I was wrong now.

23 Daves

Yes, "Mis-Shapes" makes me feel very awkward now, even though I did enjoy it at the time.  The lyrics in places read back as being like the work of a young Thatcherite, which sounds a bit harsh but then an awful lot of Young Conservatives have similar outsider complexes mixed with notions of superiority.  

I think it's more clumsily written than anything else, though.  Jarvis has since said that "Weeds" says everything that "Mis-Shapes" was supposed to say, which would indicate that the purpose behind "Mis-Shapes" wasn't entirely "Let's all sneer at the stupid chavs who make our nights out such a misery, we'll earn more money than them in the end, anyway, then we'll be laughing".

Cambrian Times

Quote from: "The Mumbler"
Quote from: "Cambrian Times"I just heard "Cunts are still running the World"

It's not the first time.  See The Professional, one of the This Is Hardcore B-sides from 1998.

Actually he says "Cocksucker". Even "Fuck" is not shocking (Sorted, Bob Lind, some of the RM stuff, but "Cunt",  I hate that word.

23 Daves

It's going to be an expensive year for Pulp fans!  There's going to be a "double" Peel Sessions album released as well:

http://www.nme.com/news/pulp/23898

Did they really record enough Peel Sessions to release a double CD, though?  And I do hope Jarvis doesn't chicken out this time and actually allows their early material to get a proper release on this.  The first session they did is actually surprisingly good, and in my opinion contains the definitive version of "Wishful Thinking", much more haunting than the one that ended up on "It".  The recording I've got is a fairly distorted bootleg, and I'd really like to hear a proper master of it.

Marvin

Bizzarely he's uploaded a podcast of him reading folk stories to his myspace page, see here:

http://www.myspace.com/jarvspace

4 arses

Quote from: "23 Daves"Yes, "Mis-Shapes" makes me feel very awkward now, even though I did enjoy it at the time.  The lyrics in places read back as being like the work of a young Thatcherite, which sounds a bit harsh but then an awful lot of Young Conservatives have similar outsider complexes mixed with notions of superiority.  

I think it's more clumsily written than anything else, though.  Jarvis has since said that "Weeds" says everything that "Mis-Shapes" was supposed to say, which would indicate that the purpose behind "Mis-Shapes" wasn't entirely "Let's all sneer at the stupid chavs who make our nights out such a misery, we'll earn more money than them in the end, anyway, then we'll be laughing".

I've just read through this thread as I'm having a bit of a Pulp renaissance at the moment, and this interpretation of Mis-Shapes is completely different from what I thought he was going on about. I actually thought that because he starts the verse with "Check your lucky number / That much money could drag you under" he's saying that the majority of people around showing off their wealth are thick and don't know what to do with their money (splashing out on pointless things to show off, in other words). Then that whole "Future you've got mapped out / Is nothing much to shout about" seemed to be more about how middle class people have an ideal of comfortable living that they consider makes them successful but in reality isn't that impressive. It's still a bit Sixth Form though.

In thinking about it, the whole point to me in Mis-Shapes was that he was singing about people who didn't fit in anywhere, if there is an "Anti-Chav" verse it seems like the first verse, while the second is the anti middle class verse. Well that's my take on it anyway...

Ciarán2

Oh "Joyriders" pisses me off too.

QuoteWe can't help it we're so thick we can't think
Can't think of anything but shit sleep and drink
Oh and we like women, "oh the women" we say
And if we get lucky yeah we might even meet some one day...

But cunts are still running the world, he was right about that one.

(I think the "check your lucky numbers" line in "Mis-shapes" is a reference to the "proles" who do the Lottery, 4 arses...)