Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:37:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Press Gang

Started by DrGreggles, September 28, 2019, 12:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Watched this when I was a teenager, but never since (was it ever repeated?).

Earlier today I saw the complete DVD box set in a charity shop, so I coughed up the 2 quid and thought I'd see if the young me's viewing habits were correct.

You know what, it's fucking great.
Burned through the first 7 episodes in no time at all.

The performances are really strong, the dialogue is sharp and funny, and the storylines really flow.
Plenty of 'Oh, it's him/her from that thing' fun to be had too.

Your Press Gang thoughts and memories please!

bomb_dog

Loved it first time round (aged 12-15) and no-one in my peer group watched it, that I was aware of. Looked forward to Moffat writing Doctor Who after knowing how good this was... only to be slightly disappointed as I wasn't 12 when this happened (or his writing wasn't as good).

Had the paperback books as well. Later surprised when I heard Dexter 'also Baby Face from Bugsy Malone' Fletcher talking with a London accent. Paul 'Let Him Have It, Chris' Reynolds was fantastic VFM in this. Ooky spooky story with the statuette head. Good one with the fire and the one with the girl drawing the body outline in the park.

poo

Loved it when I was a nipper

Mister Six

The one where Dexter Fletcher gets trapped under an exploded record shop (?) talking to a girl through a pipe in the rubble has stayed with me since I was a nipper.

Bradford library had the couple of VHSes that were released around broadcast and I rented them when I was doing my A-Levels - was delighted to learn they were properly excellent. Never did get the DVDs, though, which I should probably rectify. IIRC it was a bunch of Moffat fans who bought the rights, wasn't it? And he did some commentaries for free.

maett

Was a fan, too. Had an argument with first girlfriend about whether Dexter Fletcher was American or not, I idiotically believed he was.  Really fancied Julia Sawalha until Gabrielle Anwar joined. She was a cut above the good looking Brits 'd fancied in Grange Hill. Can't remember any of the story lines though.

Jasha

When whatsisface who wasn't Colin or Julia Swahlia or Spike kept getting a crossed line and chatting to a bird until he didn't get a crossed line and missed speaking to her. That might not have been Press Gang though.

Gurke and Hare

Kenny, who was the nicest man in rock. He met the bird at the end of the epsiode but didn't realise.

Puce Moment

Saw Dexter Fletcher in the Elmsleigh Centre in Staines in about 1990 and couldn't believe a famous American actor was actually walking around my shitty manor.

olliebean

He used to show up occasionally at Jackson's Lane in Finchley - including, on one memorable occasion, with Julia Sawalha - where his brother, Graham Fletcher-Cook, ran a weekly impro session that I used to go to.

Just looked up Graham to find he died a couple of months ago, aged 55. Fucksake.

pigamus

Quote from: Jasha on September 28, 2019, 04:45:38 PM
When whatsisface who wasn't Colin or Julia Swahlia or Spike kept getting a crossed line and chatting to a bird until he didn't get a crossed line and missed speaking to her. That might not have been Press Gang though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0678004/

a duncandisorderly

dexter, bless him, had to fix the mess of bryan singer's inadequate & flawed coverage to make 'bohemian rhapsody', & didn't he do 'rocketman' too?

I remember press gang, & this, of course- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP4bYc_HrMo

pigamus

Oh good Lord. I hope I never meet Ione Skye, I don't think I could look her in the eye...

Sebastian Cobb

Having never seen it, I thought this was a precursor to Newsround.

Rev+

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 30, 2019, 12:36:43 AM
I remember press gang, & this, of course- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP4bYc_HrMo

Was expecting that to be a Gamesmaster link.

Press Gang was a bit like Grange Hill on fast-forward until it got to the 'issues' episodes, but it was one of the few kid's shows of the time that adults could properly enjoy too, as it seemed to be something that would be written the same way if it was on in the evening.  There's not been anything like that since that I can think of.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: pigamus on September 30, 2019, 12:43:37 AM
Oh good Lord. I hope I never meet Ione Skye, I don't think I could look her in the eye...

Thom Yorke considers rewrite.

DrGreggles

Ah yes, Claire Forlani...

a duncandisorderly

DrGreggles

No, right thread.
She appeared in a couple of episodes.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 30, 2019, 09:21:05 PM
No, right thread.
She appeared in a couple of episodes.

yeah but phwoar is what I meant.

non capisco

**DID YOU KNOW**

Tim Roth based his character in Reservoir Dogs on Dexter Fletcher in Press Gang? And also the bloke out of 'Spatz' who was meant to be American.

And the child from the Le Crunch Bunch advert for apples

magval

Quote from: pigamus on September 30, 2019, 12:43:37 AM

She's the cheese

studpuppet

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 30, 2019, 12:36:43 AM

Jonathan Pryce and the mum out of Outnumbered - what's not to like? But yeah... Ione Skye...

Quote from: non capisco on September 30, 2019, 11:40:35 PM
**DID YOU KNOW**

Tim Roth based his character in Reservoir Dogs on Dexter Fletcher in Press Gang? And also the bloke out of 'Spatz' who was meant to be American.

Can we not have a separate thread for 'Spatz'? So much to unpack there.

Shit Good Nose

I hated Press Gang, BUT always watched it.  Without fail.  Odd.

Although I don't think I saw the last series.