Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Radio on a phone.

Started by bgmnts, September 28, 2019, 02:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Quote from: Twed on October 23, 2019, 12:29:36 PM
DAB is the most dead in the water technology that's actually in use that I can think of.

Lol, it is indeed properly rubbish.
64 kbps mp2 quality (or around that).
Techmoan did a great video on it if anyone's interested in finding out exactly how shit DAB is and why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27w3quNTP84

Quote from: Twed on October 23, 2019, 12:04:56 PM
The Bluetooth/WiFi chips usually support FM too. A common one (around 2009 at least) seemed to be the BCM4329 which was in the iPhone and iPad.

That's interesting.  I know FM radios are fairly simple bits of electronics, so it makes sense that it's sort of included by default.
It also makes sense to remove them, if they want users to use more data and install fancy apps with adverts.

buzby

Quote from: Twed on October 23, 2019, 12:04:56 PM
The Bluetooth/WiFi chips usually support FM too. A common one (around 2009 at least) seemed to be the BCM4329 which was in the iPhone and iPad.

(this is from me researching it all just now, not from knowledge, so I'm sure somebody in the field could give more current examples)

So FM radio is just a bonus feature, vendors just need to write the software to interface with the chip.
A more recent one is the Broadcom/Cypress  BCM4356/CYW4356 - 2.4GHz/5GHz WiFi, Bluetooth 4.1, FM receiver and wireless charging on a single chip. It was used in the Google Nexus 6 and HTC 1. TI's WiLink 8 family chips from 2012 had WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, ANT+ and FM transmit and recieve integrated into a single device.

bgmnts

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 23, 2019, 09:33:25 PM
DAB is in most cars and used pretty frequently I would imagine?

Anyway, the idea that you want to listen to the radio but won't stream it because you want a break from the internet, however you still want to listen to the same radio broadcast but on FM because fuck off internet has my mind a bit boggled tbh - what difference does it make?? Apart from much better sound quality online?

Just this really. I dont see why not wanting to find wifi or use data or whatnot is so alien.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 24, 2019, 03:33:27 PM
Just this really. I dont see why not wanting to find wifi or use data or whatnot is so alien.

It does beg the question Why beyond just being contrary as fuck (I read what you quoted as disagreeing with you, incidentally)

I mean, I have a similar issue in work. WiFi is moderated to hell and back, can't stream music. Mobile data is gash
So i just download everything I want to my phone first. Hours of podcasts, tunes, shows, no connection needed.

For your purposes is there really no better solution than an FM radio in your phone?

I suppose I'm looking for the actual issue rather than the gripe about one solution that isn't available.

Twed

Quote from: buzby on October 24, 2019, 02:18:34 PM
A more recent one is the Broadcom/Cypress  BCM4356/CYW4356 - 2.4GHz/5GHz WiFi, Bluetooth 4.1, FM receiver and wireless charging on a single chip. It was used in the Google Nexus 6 and HTC 1. TI's WiLink 8 family chips from 2012 had WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, ANT+ and FM transmit and recieve integrated into a single device.
I heard that chip was a racist, that's why I didn't mention it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 24, 2019, 04:30:00 PM
It does beg the question Why beyond just being contrary as fuck (I read what you quoted as disagreeing with you, incidentally)

I mean, I have a similar issue in work. WiFi is moderated to hell and back, can't stream music. Mobile data is gash
So i just download everything I want to my phone first. Hours of podcasts, tunes, shows, no connection needed.

For your purposes is there really no better solution than an FM radio in your phone?

I suppose I'm looking for the actual issue rather than the gripe about one solution that isn't available.

I just connect to the works WiFi and use a vpn.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 25, 2019, 01:48:26 PM
I just connect to the works WiFi and use a vpn.

Nice one. With all those gigabytes of unknown traffic, you must stick out like a sore thumb on the bandwidth usage reports.

NJ Uncut

Radio Garden is a brilliant app

Try that and see how it compares to FM

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pseudopath on November 05, 2019, 09:59:12 PM
Nice one. With all those gigabytes of unknown traffic, you must stick out like a sore thumb on the bandwidth usage reports.

I'm not logged in with credentials, so it's not like they can attribute it to me.

Twed

They can probably locate your connecting IP address to where you live

Sebastian Cobb

They can't because I'm not connecting to my home.

sponk

Ring your Gran and get her to play the radio down the phone to you

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 09, 2019, 03:37:11 PM
Using a MITM attack they can tell that you are visiting sites about how to treat UTIs and identify you.

Dex Sawash

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Twed on November 09, 2019, 03:15:03 PM
They can probably locate your connecting IP address to where you live

most corporate IT departments are less GCHQ & more 'the IT crowd' though.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 09, 2019, 03:37:11 PM

They can, because you left your phone unattended that time - you know, during the company announcement - and they rammed your phone full of spouseware. They know your every shit.