Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:27:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spitting Image

Started by olliebean, September 28, 2019, 08:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Disappointing Law doesn't think it worth satirising Raab and the like. Trump satire weve seen loads of times, but someone like Raab is ripe for satire.

Alberon

Raaaab isn't known globally so won't be done by this show. It probably needs an American audience due to the puppetry budget. I'm not optimistic for this revival.

But it comes down to the writing, of course, that was always far more important than the puppets.

Consignia

It's just going to be Dead Ringers as TV Show isn't it? Like all these "satire" shows have been.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Consignia on September 28, 2019, 08:37:10 PM
It's just going to be Dead Ringers as TV Show isn't it? Like all these "satire" shows have been.

Spitting Image isn't new yknow

Consignia

Yeah, I mean as a revival, it's just going to be like also rans 2DTV, Headcases, and Newzoids. All trying to ape the original Spitting Image and all falling short of the mark. And inexplicably staffed by Dead Ringers staff*.

*May just be John Culshaw

rasta-spouse

Can't be as bad as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGd5pqP8G78 surely?

It's Private Eye's review of 2017, btw.

imitationleather

It feels like they threaten to bring this back every five years or so.

It'd be nice if it worked, but let's face it: It's not going to.

NJ Uncut

I'm going to hold out some hope, though based on nothing.

Oh I suppose I'll have a stab: Law is talking up going quite far with the Trump puppet and if I could level any particular failing at recent, similar satires it would be the sheer toothlessness. Of course, it'd still need good writing and to be fucking FUNNY

It'll get shit on anyway (because political figures have fanboys) so they may as well go absolutely top banana, but I'm, hand on heart, not expecting anything near Wonder Showzen levels of gleeful provocation and I'm talking myself out of my thin support already

ajsmith2

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 29, 2019, 09:59:16 AM

Oh I suppose I'll have a stab: Law is talking up going quite far with the Trump puppet and if I could level any particular failing at recent, similar satires it would be the sheer toothlessness. Of course, it'd still need good writing and to be fucking FUNNY

The problem with Trump is he is the black hole of satire: he's already more ludicrous than the most grotesque attempts at parody of him could possibly be. He evades the joke by being the joke already. Would love for something to surprise me and prove me wrong, but so far this has held up as a physical law of comedy since 2016 at least.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 29, 2019, 10:14:21 AM
The problem with Trump is he is the black hole of satire: he's already more ludicrous than the most grotesque attempts at parody of him could possibly be. He evades the joke by being the joke already. Would love for something to surprise me and prove me wrong, but so far this has held up as a physical law of comedy since 2016 at least.

I don't believe that, but understand it; but you could always roll it in a different direction, if you simply match what he does in reality it has already failed as satire. Either do an about-face and turn him into Niles Crane or go absolutely all-out on something different about him - just something that isn't meek! Law says this puppet is a "monster". But I doubt he'll be eating babies; I doubt they'll isolate something else about him.

But if it was me? I'd avoid him altogether, and satirise the affect his messages have, or another kind of mirror of his actions. I feel too many jokes about Trump are appalled at what he does and says and is, rather than the effects he has. But that's another potential issue with this new Spitting Image - is it aiming too high, too global? I mean, Zuckerberg, what is there to joke about past a point you reach quickly?

A reductive look at the Spitting Image formula would be to take a trait, percieved or otherwise, and extend it to the Nth degree. I guess if you dwell on the genuinely insiduously evil, you're going to cartoon territory pretty quicky. That isn't.... bad for Spitting Image; that's why it could work, but it'll live or die on the writing and ideas, of course

I suppose I want this to be angry.

Phil_A

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 29, 2019, 11:50:05 AM
I don't believe that, but understand it; but you could always roll it in a different direction, if you simply match what he does in reality it has already failed as satire. Either do an about-face and turn him into Niles Crane or go absolutely all-out on something different about him - just something that isn't meek! Law says this puppet is a "monster". But I doubt he'll be eating babies; I doubt they'll isolate something else about him.

But if it was me? I'd avoid him altogether, and satirise the affect his messages have, or another kind of mirror of his actions. I feel too many jokes about Trump are appalled at what he does and says and is, rather than the effects he has. But that's another potential issue with this new Spitting Image - is it aiming too high, too global? I mean, Zuckerberg, what is there to joke about past a point you reach quickly?

A reductive look at the Spitting Image formula would be to take a trait, percieved or otherwise, and extend it to the Nth degree. I guess if you dwell on the genuinely insiduously evil, you're going to cartoon territory pretty quicky. That isn't.... bad for Spitting Image; that's why it could work, but it'll live or die on the writing and ideas, of course

I suppose I want this to be angry.

Yes it needs to be angry, otherwise there's no point in doing it. We've already had (and forgotten) Newzoids.

From the sound of things it sounds like they're going for the easiest, broadest targets, which is worrying. And puppets shown don't look nearly grotesque enough.

Would they get away with the equivalent of the "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" sequence this time round? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReIAna459sg

Ambient Sheep

I've noticed that John Lloyd doesn't seem to be involved this time round.

The last time there was talk of a revival, he was heavily involved and desperately wanted to bring it back as a biting satire on the coalition times we were living in, but the sums couldn't be made to add up.

Clearly what's changed now is that they're going to make it accessible to an American audience to get the extra cash in, which means I suspect it will be shit.

And yeah, the Zuckerberg puppet doesn't work.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Phil_A on September 29, 2019, 01:15:20 PMWould they get away with the equivalent of the "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" sequence this time round? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReIAna459sg

Probably not.

Am trying to work out who the big-nosed grey-haired guy who sorrowfully shakes his head at around 1:34 was.  I know I should recognise him but can't quite place him.

Cold Meat Platter

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 29, 2019, 01:38:32 PM
It might be Ted Heath.

Yeah, I wondered that but looks too thin in the face for both him and the Heath puppet that I remember.

Could be, though.

Alberon

dunelm

Satire is dead. Has been for a while. Trump is president.

Spitting Image was an iconic show at the time, but the material wasn't great. Doesn't hold up.

poodlefaker

Most of Spitting Image was about Paul Daniels,  David Coleman, etc. as I remember. It was rarely the hard-hitting  satire it's portrayed as these days.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Alberon on September 28, 2019, 10:09:24 AM
Raaaab isn't known globally so won't be done by this show.

Rab C Nesbitt?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 29, 2019, 10:14:21 AM
The problem with Trump is he is the black hole of satire: he's already more ludicrous than the most grotesque attempts at parody of him could possibly be.

He's what they call "beyond parody". My favourite attempt so far is John Mulaney's horse loose at the hospital bit. You have to push the comparison as far as an out of control four legged animal for it to make anything close to sense with Trump. He's not impossible to satirise but by god it's not easy either.

Pinball

I'm sure they can get Netflix to throw a few mill at it. Everyone else can. After the American (I mean 'global') season, will they make a UK series for us plebs still on this island?

Paul Calf

QuoteStreaming service Britbox

Another streaming service subscription if you want to watch it. I'm guessing that most won't bother.

olliebean

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 04, 2020, 12:54:17 PM
Another streaming service subscription if you want to watch it. I'm guessing that most won't bother.

Certainly won't bother subscribing, not even sure I can be bothered to acquire this by other means.

Annie Labuntur

Johnson looks wrong to me. He's lost weight but his head still needs to be fatter and wider than that. Also his hair is much thinner and he's balding. The other two are good.

Uncle TechTip

The voices are crucial. That was the key to the success of the original run. I see there's still no mention of voice cast. Impressionism isn't really a thing in stand up anymore. Hopes are low.