Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spitting Image

Started by olliebean, September 28, 2019, 08:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Yup Gove's face like a tiny penis and saggy old man nut sack is worth the price of admission.

Retinend

Quote from: Retinend on October 27, 2020, 09:27:26 AM

Quote from: Retinend on October 27, 2020, 09:28:47 AM
Totally humorless so long as you don't get it.

Reposting for the new-pagers. I can't believe I missed his cock-nose. I actually thought it was a reference to "Pob" in the way Charlie Brooker used that reference in the first series of Screenwipe (was it a reference to Gobe or another public figure?)

Alberon

One thing the new Spitting Image should be praised for is being the basis for some great reworkings by TheIainDuncanSmiths.

Here's the latest on this twitter thread reworking the New Zealand PM sketch

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1321059753620086785?s=20

Retinend

Haha! He should get a job on the show. It's just a tad more absurd than the real thing (+sans real impressions).

FredNurke

Mancunian Boris is rather a good idea - it counteracts the self-parody, satire-neutralising aspect of Johnson's public persona.

Retinend

I don't think it would work to portray Boris as something other than who he is. The alternative to "playing into" his image would be to lessen the impact of the satire. Put yourself in the writers' shoes: he's a shapeless mass of ambition, opportunism and unconditional optimism and that's the angle that presents itself.

idunnosomename

I'd like to see a portrayal of him as he really is. You could easily do a sketch with him getting home and hanging up his mop. Changing his voice to something absurd is a good idea I think.

We got that rare peek into his private self (Alex, I think, it's hard to know since the westminster press doesn't divulge such stuff though im sure they know) late last year when he lost his rag over red wine on the sofa. I think he's actually quite an angry, vindictive and petty individual, and certainly no qualms about piling lie on lie on lie till even he is convinced by his own distorted selfish reality.

Despite him looking really sad and pathetic and barely capable of thinking on his feet these days he is still very good about maintaining that public image, so people like Matt Forde still accept him as a basically reasonable person.

Virgo76

It's not bad.
Think they're overdoing Michael Gove's Scots accent a bit.
I'd literally never noticed the real Gove was Scots at all until now.

thr0b

It's a shame some of the voices aren't quite right. If they could've got Serafinowicz, there would be gold.

Bazooka

Quote from: Virgo76 on October 29, 2020, 12:48:36 PM
It's not bad.
Think they're overdoing Michael Gove's Scots accent a bit.
I'd literally never noticed the real Gove was Scots at all until now.

I didn't know until I saw under his kilt.

beanheadmcginty

Enjoyed Gove wanking over Thatcherboris. I wish they'd stop announcing who the puppet is meant to be every time they appear though. Maybe only do it the first time.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: thr0b on October 30, 2020, 12:52:50 PM
It's a shame some of the voices aren't quite right. If they could've got Serafinowicz, there would be gold.

I imagine Serafinowicz is a bit out of their price range, now he's doing American TV and working with the South Park lads.

Fambo Number Mive

This week's UK government and Starmar sketches were better than usual, in particular Starmar as
Spoiler alert
Foxman
[close]

lazarou

Have to admit I'm consistently enjoying this. Every episode certainly has some absolute clunkers but there are always a fair few genuine laugh out loud moments for me. Felt like the two-part "Election Special" had a couple more misses than usual but a couple of the more throwaway moments really tickled me, especially
Spoiler alert
"Tory Spells by Tori Spelling"
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
the Sun's reaction to Grimes
[close]

Retinend

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on October 31, 2020, 11:40:33 AM
I imagine Serafinowicz is a bit out of their price range, now he's doing American TV and working with the South Park lads.

Then again, I was amazed to see David X. Cohen in the writers' credits for the latest election special!

ajsmith2

Quote from: Retinend on October 29, 2020, 11:09:17 AM
I don't think it would work to portray Boris as something other than who he is. The alternative to "playing into" his image would be to lessen the impact of the satire. Put yourself in the writers' shoes: he's a shapeless mass of ambition, opportunism and unconditional optimism and that's the angle that presents itself.

Ironically the ID Smiths core song parodies of Boris when they're not trolling Matt Forde do use the go to 'Elton Buffoon' voice while managing to get across his blatant venal evil through the lyrics. I can't really say how it compares to the new series treating of De Pfeffel as I've seen nowt but clips, but this song parody is worthy of the original series imo (although obviously it would have had slightly better visuals if it had been a SI bit!). I've had the clipped brutal truth of the opening stanza in particular stuck in my head constantly since discovering it 2 weeks ago:

https://youtu.be/x_Cizl7ifkA

The election special on ITV was a half hour I'll never get back. I liked the sacrifice of Matt Hancock and Zuckerberg's puppet, but fuck me, the rest was a struggle to get through.

As mentioned, some of the impressions are rubs which doesn't help, Gove a particular offender. Keir Starmer is just Matt Forde's normal voice.

Retinend

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on November 01, 2020, 11:52:59 AM
The election special on ITV was a half hour I'll never get back. I liked the sacrifice of Matt Hancock and Zuckerberg's puppet, but fuck me, the rest was a struggle to get through.

As mentioned, some of the impressions are rubs which doesn't help, Gove a particular offender. Keir Starmer is just Matt Forde's normal voice.

Their Trump is brilliant, though. The best I've ever heard. Johnson's voice is good, too. "Pint?". I think they tend to lean broad ("inaccurate") for the voices of lower status characters like Starmer, Raab, Pence.

Also no one mentioned it yet but it was nice to have the return of Thatcher (during a séance in the cabinet): "you're negotiating??? with northerners??? you cretinous wretch!"

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: ajsmith2 on November 01, 2020, 10:10:54 AM
Ironically the ID Smiths core song parodies of Boris when they're not trolling Matt Forde do use the go to 'Elton Buffoon' voice while managing to get across his blatant venal evil through the lyrics. I can't really say how it compares to the new series treating of De Pfeffel as I've seen nowt but clips, but this song parody is worthy of the original series imo (although obviously it would have had slightly better visuals if it had been a SI bit!). I've had the clipped brutal truth of the opening stanza in particular stuck in my head constantly since discovering it 2 weeks ago:

https://youtu.be/x_Cizl7ifkA

That is brilliant. That's how angry satire should be.

Alberon

That was Steve Nallon back as Thatcher, wasn't it?

Who does Trump? It sounds like Billy West to me.

peteprodge

Quote from: Alberon on November 01, 2020, 08:48:47 PM
That was Steve Nallon back as Thatcher, wasn't it?

Who does Trump? It sounds like Billy West to me.

Matt Forde does Trump (and Boris Johnson).

lazarou

Even speaking as someone who's enjoyed the show well enough so far episode 7 was punishingly hard going, really felt like it was running on fumes.

lb99

Quote from: Retinend on November 01, 2020, 08:50:33 AM
Then again, I was amazed to see David X. Cohen in the writers' credits for the latest election special!

Not just in that episode, but across the series, as well as other Simpsons writers. John DiMaggio and Billy West ain't cheap either!

JesusAndYourBush

Nice to see The Queen back.  The funniest parts of the episode for me, although the voice isn't as good as in the original series.

Retinend

Could someone explain what the royals sketch was parodying? And why Keir Starmer was a fox superhero?

idunnosomename

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1326883377648197633

Bit meta this time. Make sure you unmute from beginning for the sting

Retinend

I have a pavlovian repulsion from anything with that specific stock music stuck over it... it reminds me of a very witless YouTuber who uses it in every video and kept getting recommend to me for a while.

chveik

Jumblegraws

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 14, 2020, 03:57:05 PM
https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1326883377648197633

Bit meta this time. Make sure you unmute from beginning for the sting
I get the impression (ha!) that the original sketch was so bizarrely shit and unstructured that he/they were at a bit of a loss with what do with it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" We've got an Adele puppet, and we're going to use it."