Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spitting Image

Started by olliebean, September 28, 2019, 08:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Consignia on November 25, 2020, 09:02:47 PM
Was it this: https://twitter.com/spitting_image1/status/1234572389230501889?lang=en ? Obsviously not what you described, but the best I could find.

Yes, that's the one.  I think they may have missed off the end where Dire Straits are out of fashion and so go bankrupt, then get their stuff repossessed.

Retinend

Quote from: Cuellar on November 25, 2020, 05:59:51 PM
Watching some epsidoes from series 1 now. It's pretty racist isn't it.

🙄

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 26, 2020, 04:08:04 PM
They're just the first screenshots I could find. I haven't gone out of my way to pick bad ones. They're just random. Watch the Ardern song. She is chinless throughout, like an inbred toff character.

Perhaps the caricaturishly large teeth are affecting your perception of the chin? I would say that, true to life, the Ardern puppet has a nice, normally proportioned chin.

Not "chinless".

Here is the lovely Ardern, in the flesh, for comparison:

Do we need to get out the protractors? I think this case is closed. But remember that according to self-appointed chin-expert, An tSaoi, her SI puppet's chin is unrecognizable and therefore the sculptor was a misogynist!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Retinend on November 27, 2020, 12:26:50 PM
🙄

Perhaps the caricaturishly large teeth are affecting your perception of the chin? I would say that, true to life, the Ardern puppet has a nice, normally proportioned chin.

Not "chinless".

Here is the lovely Ardern, in the flesh, for comparison:

Do we need to get out the protractors? I think this case is closed. But remember that according to self-appointed chin-expert, An tSaoi, her SI puppet's chin is unrecognizable and therefore the sculptor was a misogynist!

You're going to have to face facts, mate; the chances of you ever meeting her, let alone her having sex with you, are remote , to say the least.

Move On.

Retinend

are you saying I have a chance with her puppet?

king_tubby

Only if you want to stir Matt Forde's porridge.

Retinend

That would be a good claim to fame.

king_tubby

Start with the Tony Blair one then.

Fambo Number Mive

Spitting Image has its own store where you can buy hoodies, t-shirts, framed art, mugs, playing cards etc.

Who wouldn't love a mug with "HOT!" on one side and a picture of the Greta puppet on the other.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Retinend on October 27, 2020, 09:28:47 AM
Totally humorless so long as you don't get it.

Do you think that having to have watched a Netflix show to get the joke makes it a good joke? It's not like they are referencing a show that most of the audience will have watched - a show about an American who moves to Paris to take a job in a marketing firm is pretty niche.

I'm not convinced by any of the arguments you make in this thread in your continuing defence of the new Spitting Image.

EDIT - fuck it.

Retinend

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 30, 2020, 11:06:14 AM
Do you think that having to have watched a Netflix show to get the joke makes it a good joke? It's not like they are referencing a show that most of the audience will have watched - a show about an American who moves to Paris to take a job in a marketing firm is pretty niche.

It was the number one show on Netflix at the time that episode aired. It is not the show's fault if people are too out of touch to appreciate topical comedy.

QuoteI'm not convinced by any of the arguments you make in this thread in your continuing defence of the new Spitting Image, and you seem very defensive and somewhat personal in your criticism - calling another poster a  "self-appointed chin-expert" for example.

Likewise, I'm totally unconvinced by any one of the criticisms in this thread. The point is not to convince one another, but to convince the 3rd person who is reading through the thread. At least that's how I see it.

To call An tSaio a "self-appointed chin expert" is obviously a comment made in jest. If that didn't come across then I do apologize.

edit: I see you are the poster who originally said that Govey in Paris was "humourless" - I don't like that it seems I am directly addressing you by calling the criticism "out of touch". I would have re-worded my post if I had realized that personal-sounding implication, so I am sorry. Naturally, ignorance of a show on Netflix doesn't mean that one is out of touch generally (I was ignorant of it until my SO pointed out the reference).

An tSaoi

I was just offering an opinion Retinend, and you've been needlessly insulting. What have I done to make you act so cunty?

Your response has really pissed me off, and not because you're disagreeing with me. You have also mis-characterised my post: I never suggested the sculptors were misogynists. I said they're not as good at the women, like some people can't draw hands.

Have you picked me up wrong, or are you deliberately distorting my point to be a prick?

Quote from: Retinend on November 30, 2020, 11:11:37 AM
To call An tSaio a "self-appointed chin expert" is obviously a comment made in jest. If that didn't come across then I do apologize.

The Priti Patel defense.

Retinend

I can assure you that I am totally nonplussed right now. I never for a moment felt irritated or provoked. I thought it was all just a big laugh until these 2 posts rudely awoke me from that delusion.

Evidence-based debate in the context of Comedy Chat is, imo, already faintly ridiculous and I presumed everyone was aware of that irony. Hence my self-parody as a white knight for Ardern who wants to fuck her puppet and my deliberately arrogant "the case is closed"... you know... like a lawyer.  That's all I can think to say.  Well, though you called me a cunt, I am still sorry for the upset I caused and hope you don't think me a mean person.

edit: Perhaps if you knew me in real life you would have gotten it. If someone else doesn't find something funny then there's no point in getting annoyed about it. I know that very well.

An tSaoi

So you're a parody?

The old "If you don't like it, you just don't get it" ploy.

Evidence-based debate indeed.

Retinend

Well I can't please you. I am being honest with you. Strange argument to have to have.

Catalogue Trousers

Maybe we should all just have a chilled-out laqer and a wank.

Jumblegraws

Just wanted to say that I just noticed that a girl I was at school with (this was mid 2000s) who kept a lol-Boris scrapbook and went on to become a QI Elf has a writing credit on the Spitting Image 2020 Election Special. Nice to see something making total sense.

Retinend

I think the whole series was a triumph. I keep meaning to post a run down of the best moments of the penultimate episode, somehow the best one.

here goes:

0:41
Cum. "let me guess, you have qualms about my plan to compost asylum seekers and spread them over the fruit trees of Kent?
Bor. "No, that's in the next manifesto. It's far worse"

2:00

03:40 "pudding.... titties..."

04:00
Cam. "she who must not be named"

05:00 Parody of "life on the road" "access all areas" type documentaries starring Grimes, Billie Eilish and Ed Sheeran:
VO: "modern popstars: focused, middle class... and tedious"

08:00 The interaction between Hancock and Piers Morgan is hilarious to me

08:42 I like that they finally show the Attenborough puppet

09:00 They did a great job with the Ronaldo head shape.

10:30 the bat on Xi JinPing's shoulder got me, and the Ardern/Mary Poppins gag also fails to get old. "Don't complain", she says to the lamb being attacked by a Wuhan-bat: "we need their leptops"

11:00 Boris at Bohemian Grove
Bor. "I made my own pyramid hat"
Bor. "and one for my dog as well"

Dog: "I've been running England for centuries! ...Well, dog centuries."

OK I'll leave it there. But it great all the way through. Episode 9.