Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spitting Image

Started by olliebean, September 28, 2019, 08:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Badger

Quote from: olliebean on September 11, 2020, 01:20:15 PM

Must admit I'd not have recognised that third one were it not for the filename. In fact come to think of it I still don't, even knowing who it's meant to be.

It looks like they've dug up the old Reagan puppet and made it look younger.

M-CORP

I'd love for this to be good, but everything I've seen so far fails to give me confidence.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/12479482/itv-bosses-ban-boris-tiny-johnson/

If the rumours are true that ITV bosses are telling the production crew what they can and cannot get away with, then that misses the point of what made the show special - it was a rebellious anti-establishment show that, while being clearly anti-Thatcher and anti-Tory, made no concessions to anyone and didn't show any restraint. The pre-titles sketch at the start of this 1991 episode sums it all up for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSLCmPQUhA

Something else I fear they'll forget - I was born five years after the show ended, but I was still able to enjoy certain episodes on YouTube despite not knowing much about the figures portrayed. Because the jokes are funny on their own. Thatcher wanting to privatise BT despite the fact it's privatised already, or the more infamous sketch where she's asked about vegetables, yes, they're inspired by aspects of Thatcher's personality (her hunger for power, her monomania and so on), but they're funny regardless of context.

By contrast, the only ideas I have seen that will appear in this new show are Greta Thunberg hosting the weather forecast, Dominic Raab as a kung-fu martial arts bloke, and Dominic Cummings as a vampire. Not quite on the same level, and preaching to the converted - jokes that rely on the target and put the target first, so the only people that will find them funny are people who already agree.

Menu

Not denying that this will almost certainly be shit. But....David X Cohen? Bill Oakley? Billy West? That is some huge comedy talent right there. WTF are they doing on this?

Uncle TechTip

They are banking on big success in the US, via Britbox.

BritishHobo

Quote from: M-CORP on September 11, 2020, 03:45:23 PM
I'd love for this to be good, but everything I've seen so far fails to give me confidence.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/12479482/itv-bosses-ban-boris-tiny-johnson/

If the rumours are true that ITV bosses are telling the production crew what they can and cannot get away with, then that misses the point of what made the show special - it was a rebellious anti-establishment show that, while being clearly anti-Thatcher and anti-Tory, made no concessions to anyone and didn't show any restraint. The pre-titles sketch at the start of this 1991 episode sums it all up for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSLCmPQUhA

Something else I fear they'll forget - I was born five years after the show ended, but I was still able to enjoy certain episodes on YouTube despite not knowing much about the figures portrayed. Because the jokes are funny on their own. Thatcher wanting to privatise BT despite the fact it's privatised already, or the more infamous sketch where she's asked about vegetables, yes, they're inspired by aspects of Thatcher's personality (her hunger for power, her monomania and so on), but they're funny regardless of context.

By contrast, the only ideas I have seen that will appear in this new show are Greta Thunberg hosting the weather forecast, Dominic Raab as a kung-fu martial arts bloke, and Dominic Cummings as a vampire. Not quite on the same level, and preaching to the converted - jokes that rely on the target and put the target first, so the only people that will find them funny are people who already agree.

And the central idea in that news story - Boris and Trump have tiny willies!!!!!! Ugh.

As has been said though, some really impressive names involved. Cohen, Oakley, West, John DiMaggio. Very enticing.

Plus I did watch every episode of Newzoids out of pure desperation for even a shred of decent satire. This deserves a fair chance. I mean, maybe, right? Maybe?!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 12, 2020, 10:50:49 AM
And the central idea in that news story - Boris and Trump have tiny willies!!!!!! Ugh.
And Putin has a massive one because...?

Family Guy did it better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA1rFuUbVCU

"Vlad and I finished our dance, then spent the rest of the night talking. The next day, he poisoned me on the limo ride to the airport with radioactive tea. I lost half my bodyweight, all my hair, and I have lesions that will never heal. That's our President's best friend."

Menu

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 12, 2020, 10:50:49 AM

As has been said though, some really impressive names involved. Cohen, Oakley, West, John DiMaggio. Very enticing.

Plus I did watch every episode of Newzoids out of pure desperation for even a shred of decent satire. This deserves a fair chance. I mean, maybe, right? Maybe?!

Surely a US audience is going to be comatose/bewildered by all the British political stuff aren't they? Or will there be two versions? Or, more likely, very little British political stuff.

king_tubby

Just sticking a big old hooked nose on Zuckerburg for reasons, ok?

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1305213522780057602

SpiderChrist

idunnosomename

yes that is the shape of his nose. it's a bit big though! but they all have big noses.

oh who cares. why are they even doing this. oh money for a new streaming platform ok

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: king_tubby on September 13, 2020, 07:42:41 PM

Just sticking a big old hooked nose on Zuckerburg for reasons, ok?

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1305213522780057602
Oh come on now, it's not as if they've got Puppetburg rubbing his hands and saying "shekels".

Not yet, anyway.

Blue Jam

Some sad news about writer George Jeffrie, whose other credits include The Windsors, Harry and Paul, Star Stories and Big Train. What a legacy:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/news/5948/george-jeffrie-rip/

Blue Jam

What is RT? Some kind of rip-off of Breitbart?

I wouldn't call a few tweets calmly questioning whether Spitting Image should be mocking an autistic teenager "outrage". Seems Greta herself is fine with it though, let's just see what the sketches are like when it airs.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 23, 2020, 10:01:17 AM

No idea, it was the only link to the 'story' I could find that wasn't The Sun. Please accept my sincere apologies for my careless ignorance if it turns out to be even worse. I guess I should have known that it'd only be right wing outlets that would be leading with the Greta puppet as a headline lolsnoflakstrigrdsnore.

Alberon

RT (formally Russia Today) is the English wing of Putin's propaganda department.

It's just as biased as the main American and British outlets but in favour of Russia rather than the West.

sirhenry

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 23, 2020, 10:01:17 AM
Russia Today - soviet-style propaganda for the 21st century. Amusing for its heavy-handedness and blatant bias.

As Alberon just said.

SpiderChrist

Blue Jam

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 23, 2020, 10:05:31 AM
No idea, it was the only link to the 'story' I could find that wasn't The Sun. Please accept my sincere apologies for my careless ignorance if it turns out to be even worse.

Nothing is worse than The S*n, no worries.

thr0b

I laughed properly twice at that trailer. That's a good hit-rate really. I'm looking forward to grabbing this from a convenient magnet link.

Blue Jam

Trailer is a bit of a mixed bag, still got reasonably high hopes for this.

Good to see Prince Andrew in there but I imagine they won't dare to mock the CoD herself. Even The Windsors didn't dare go that far.

Is any of the original voice talent back? I wonder if Steve Coogan is involved.

thr0b

Culshaw will be doing his voice.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That Gwyneth Paltrow puppet looks nothing like her.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 23, 2020, 12:41:16 PM
That Gwyneth Paltrow puppet looks nothing like her.

Yeah, closer to Joni Mitchell if anything.

Blue Jam

I wouldn't have known it was her if there hadn't been any dialogue. Same with the one I think is meant to be Jeff Bezos. And the Kim Kardashian one.

The Meghan Markle one looks nothing like her either- they left out the famous freckles!

Blue Jam

Priti Patel and Dominic Raaaaaab:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/spitting-image-characterises-priti-patel-as-a-vampire-93746

Hmmm, I'm not sure about these. Surely IDS was more of a vampire? And I had no idea Raaaaaab did judo or whatever. Is it that these are bad caricatures or are the people they're satirising just too nondescript to be parodied effectively?

idunnosomename

did not laugh once total shit. although the cock and balls were bold. didnt do anything funny with them though

the one thing that is astounding about this how much discourse is "woke snowflakes will probably ruin it/be upset/where is diane abbot dribbling with a dunce hat on". gammons tilting at windmills

SavageHedgehog

Yeah, I thought that was pretty bad. The Billie Eilish bit made me smile, but that's about it.

Is part of the problem just that in our modern society we hear about a million jokes a week about Kanye, Trump etc, whereas maybe 30 years ago there were slightly fewer places to go for jokes about Dan Quayle, Jason Donovan or whatever? I sometimes think that when I see modern SNL sketches too.