Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spitting Image

Started by olliebean, September 28, 2019, 08:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 23, 2020, 01:37:47 PM
the one thing that is astounding about this how much discourse is "woke snowflakes will probably ruin it/be upset/where is diane abbot dribbling with a dunce hat on". gammons tilting at windmills

A lot of right wing people are fucking obsessed with Diane Abbott. They don't realise most people don't care about an opposition politician who once made a mathematical error ten years ago. And don't send her hateful tweets all day.

I've seen people asking "Where's the Sadiq Khan puppet?" as well. Remember when the response to the Trump baby was a balloon shaped like Sadiq Khan in a yellow bikini, and that was the best the Right could do? He's just not as amusing as a ruffled overgrown public schoolboy waving Union Flags while sliding down a zipwire, deal with it gammons.

Sebastian Cobb

Most of what about it suggests it's got some fucking weak takes and isn't really about holding power or the establishment to account.

lol what if trump was gay with putin.

I did also see a mad take that it was antisemitic of them to take the piss out of Zuck/Bezos, literally two of the biggest dangers on the planet.

Taking the piss out of Greta Thunberg seems an odd choice too... suggests it's made for gammon cunts.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 23, 2020, 02:29:33 PMlol what if trump was gay with putin.

To be fair Russia's homophobic laws are a real concern, but jokes about Putin being gay were already old hat three years ago. I would be impressed if he was portrayed as a Bond villain with a fluffy white cat and a trapdoor over a piranha tank but I doubt they'll go there. I remember when they portrayed Yeltsin as an alcoholic with a birthmark shaped like a hammer and sickle, despite the cocks'n'balls this looks toothless in comparison.

Leo2112

Trump's wig flew off haha

idunnosomename

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on September 23, 2020, 01:49:58 PM
Yeah, I thought that was pretty bad. The Billie Eilish bit made me smile, but that's about it.

i didnt know who this was and was afraid to ask. never heard of her

chveik

looks absolute garbage, and it doesn't help when you can't recognize half of the people 'satirised'

idunnosomename

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 23, 2020, 02:29:33 PM
Taking the piss out of Greta Thunberg seems an odd choice too... suggests it's made for gammon cunts.
i dont really think anyone is necessarily off-limits to make a puppet of. what they do with it is another matter

holyzombiejesus

lol what if trump was gay with putin.

Just been discussing this on Facebook with someone. There's no insinuation of gayness is there? I don't want to defend this shit but to claim it's homophobic (as my friend's retweet did) seems a bit stupid. The whole thing just seems engineered so you see their penises.

idunnosomename

i HOPE WE GET TO SEE GRETAS TITS TO BALANCE THINGS OUT

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 23, 2020, 02:53:10 PMI remember when they portrayed Yeltsin as an alcoholic with a birthmark shaped like a hammer and sickle, despite the cocks'n'balls this looks toothless in comparison.

Gorbachev had the birthmark! Hilariously portrayed in the opening titles as being the result of someone pouring ketchup on his head.

Blue Jam

D'oh, sorry, forgetting my Russian history there. I do clearly remember a sketch where Yeltsin announced his new healthy diet consisting entirely of grains before he brought out... a bottle of vodka. I doubt we'll see any Novichok jokes in this series.

BeardFaceMan

The cock and balls in the sauna was a parody of the fight scene in Eastern Promises isn't it? Or am I being too generous?

SpiderChrist

Johnson and Trump just aren't funny. They're dangerous cunts. This is just like Boris on HIGNFY. Isn't it?

Blue Jam

To be fair the original Spitting Image was loved by Thatcher and some blamed it for keeping the Tories in power by making them look funny and daft rather than cruel and dangerous.

Hand Solo

To be fair to The Great Dictator, Hitler enjoyed it and privately screened it twice.

bomb_dog

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 23, 2020, 06:11:01 PM
Johnson and Trump just aren't funny. They're dangerous cunts. This is just like Boris on HIGNFY. Isn't it?

Waiting to see Patel bidding for her puppet, claiming that she loves it and isn't it amazing

Cold Meat Platter

BritishHobo

Very sure there was a joke on Newzoids where Kanye West interrupts something political and shouts about being King or whatever. I just hope it's more angry about politics than it is obsessed with cosily prodding celebrities.

Autopsy Turvey

Johnson and Trump just aren't funny. They're dangerous cunts.

It's a good thing for the original show that in the 80s we had all those innately funny, only very superficially dangerous world leaders like Gadafi and PW Botha and the Pope and the Ayatollah Khomeni.

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 23, 2020, 06:17:39 PM
To be fair the original Spitting Image was loved by Thatcher and some blamed it for keeping the Tories in power by making them look funny and daft rather than cruel and dangerous.

Citation needed? As I understand it Thatcher never saw the show, but was appalled by her puppet. I believe Tebbit was quietly chuffed with his headbanging skinhead persona, but undoubtedly the Tories were regularly portrayed as cruel and dangerous in the 80s series. Thatcher taking advice from the elderly Hitler over the garden fence, forcing people into food processors etc.

It certainly wasn't 'to blame' for keeping the Tories in power (not as much as Kinnock's Labour Party for making the government look like a competent option), but some did say that their portrayal of Thatcher as such a strong, assertive figure may have worked in her favour.

Most of what about it suggests it's got some fucking weak takes and isn't really about holding power or the establishment to account.

You can't expect it to do the Labour Party's job for them! Hopefully this will be 'really about' making people laugh. There's a certain energy to the trailer, hard to tell what the quality of the scripts will be like, but it's nice to have a new set of puppets.

badaids

Spitting Image should be about Satire, but this is just parody.

Trump is a tough one because he's beyond parody I think, no idea how to play that. 

But yes, I think with Johnson they are helping him by playing up his buffoonish image.  What they should have done, and what the old Spitting Image would have done maybe, would be to have him with a bond villain and reptilian hardness, malevolence and purpose behind the scenes and the buffoon as an act.  That would be both a proper satire and a good comedy canvas to explore.

And as for Putin, I didn't think they were playing him as gay, just some kind of sadist.  Like Rowson (or was it Bell) did with George Osbourne.

Hand Solo

Quote from: badaids on September 23, 2020, 08:32:14 PM
But yes, I think with Johnson they are helping him by playing up his buffoonish image.  What they should have done, and what the old Spitting Image would have done maybe, would be to have him with a bond villain and reptilian hardness, malevolence and purpose behind the scenes and the buffoon as an act.  That would be both a proper satire and a good comedy canvas to explore.

Exactly this was done with Phil Hartman's Reagan on SNL.

Retinend

ajsmith2

Wonder if this topical satire show will have been recorded recently enough to reflect COVID at all. The Trump/Boris/Putin square off seems particularly unhygienic, and then you have Zuckerberg not only stealing someone's data but flagrantly flouting the 2 metre rule in doing so.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 23, 2020, 06:17:39 PM

Is there more on this, every source I've looked at attributes it to Edwina Currie last year.

M-CORP

Having watched this a few times, I think the trailer shows SOME promise. OK, so the jokes aren't the best, but I did like how the show doesn't seem to be taking itself seriously - yes, you had that big dramatic intro, but then there was the sarcastic bit about how the show is VERY sophisticated, as well as not really changing anything because it's endorsed by the very people it lampoons. Plus some good slapstick for good measure.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like more, but I'd expected slightly worse. It does at least feel like it hasn't just been thrown together on autopilot without thought - they have some idea of what made the show work. Plus it's surprisingly pleasant to see that sort of large, unwieldy puppet again, and not just some halfway point miniature, Newzoids-style.

My father, who remembers the old 'Spitting Image' fondly and had very low expectations, found the trailer very funny and immediately decreed that they hadn't lost any of their bite, as he feared they would. Good sign, I suppose.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 23, 2020, 09:57:50 PM
Is there more on this, every source I've looked at attributes it to Edwina Currie last year.

I may have been confusing Spitting Image with House of Cards or Yes, Minister, sorry! Ignore me, I'm probably wrong about those too.

dr_christian_troy

H-O-W-L

That Eilish puppet is total shit honestly. If it wasn't for the green hair (which isn't even her trademark, even I've noticed she dyes it a lot and I despise her music) you would not recognize her.

olliebean

Quote from: badaids on September 23, 2020, 08:32:14 PMBut yes, I think with Johnson they are helping him by playing up his buffoonish image.  What they should have done, and what the old Spitting Image would have done maybe, would be to have him with a bond villain and reptilian hardness, malevolence and purpose behind the scenes and the buffoon as an act.  That would be both a proper satire and a good comedy canvas to explore.

Cummings as the bond villain, surely, and Johnson as his cat.