Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:25:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Creepshow TV Series

Started by The Giggling Bean, September 28, 2019, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Giggling Bean

The new Creepshow series started on Shudder last week. Has anyone seen it yet? Whilst I'm desperate to see this (the original film is one of my favourites) I'm not sure its worth subscribing to Shudder just for 1 show. Anyone want to convince me it's worth it? Alternatively is there any non Shudder streaming platform it can be watched through?

Head Gardener

the first episode was awful, like so bad I will never be arsed to watch any again, it's rubbish

Rev+

It's clearly had a few quid thrown at it, but that only goes so far when the stories are as flat-out dull as the two in the first episode.  It does go for the EC comics look of the first film now and then, but for the most part is just a bit too flat and earnest.  The Crypt Keeper stand-in - did he ever have a name, that chap? - is baffling in his pointlessness.  He acts as a host of sorts and has linking bits, but doesn't speak so he's just sort of there for a bit before buggering off.  Yet he has printed dialogue on the comic page that starts each story.

It's available at all of the usual places and definitely not worth paying for.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Rev+ on September 30, 2019, 08:49:49 PM
It's clearly had a few quid thrown at it, but that only goes so far when the stories are as flat-out dull as the two in the first episode.  It does go for the EC comics look of the first film now and then, but for the most part is just a bit too flat and earnest.  The Crypt Keeper stand-in - did he ever have a name, that chap? - is baffling in his pointlessness.  He acts as a host of sorts and has linking bits, but doesn't speak so he's just sort of there for a bit before buggering off.  Yet he has printed dialogue on the comic page that starts each story.

It's available at all of the usual places and definitely not worth paying for.

I just watched it tonight and yeah, it's pretty damn weak which is surprising given the pretty decent actors they've managed to cast. The first story (based on Gray Matter by Stephen King) isn't that bad but it takes too long to get going, and then the ending's rushed, I don't know if that's because of the King story but just an extra minute or two showing the panic as they realise the world is fucked would have been good. And the second story The House Of The Head (which Josh Malerman adapted from his own short) is really shit, the concept's fairly okay (a doll's house is haunted by a weird head) but the way it ends is awful, and it's not scary in the slightest.

I've no idea if the series improves but I'm not going to bother watching any more of this as it disappointed so much. And as Rev+ mentions above, it's so odd the Crypy Keeper stand in doesn't speak, and just chuckles a bit, and it makes his inclusion seem pointless.

Rev+

I've stuck with it so far, and the first episode was the weakest of the three we've had by this point.  This is not to say that the subsequent ones were good in any normal sense of the word, but they were a tiny bit better.

How do you fuck this up?  The format's fine apart from the pointless host, but the stories they're plugging into it don't quite work.  It doesn't know if it wants to go full cheese or full gore, and so it's just full bland.  The next episode could have two cracking stories, because this type of thing always leaves the door open for such things, but it's probably not happening.

A decent horror anthology series is surely the easiest thing to pull off, but it's been so long since we had one.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Rev+ on October 16, 2019, 02:09:26 AM
A decent horror anthology series is surely the easiest thing to pull off, but it's been so long since we had one.

American Horror Story has some great seasons

Shaky

A shame to hear they've fucked up Grey Matter as that story really put the shits up me as a teenager.

Rev+

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 16, 2019, 09:07:44 AM
American Horror Story has some great seasons

Bit of a different proposition though, as that a different story each series rather than a different one each week.  I'm assuming that that the Twilight Zone will be back at the end of the month, but last year's series was a similar fumble.

We have Inside No. 9, I suppose.  Although not this year.