Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:56:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC's Giri/Haji

Started by VelourSpirit, September 29, 2019, 10:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelourSpirit

I've been looking forward to this for a while because it's got Kelly Macdonald in it, didn't realise it was coming out next month. Looks like it could be good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0J3RL140U

Butchers Blind

All episodes up on iplayer.  Up to Ep5 so far and its holding my attention.  The English gangster seems a bit Guy Richie but on the whole worth the time.

Crabwalk

Bump to say that this'll be looked back on as a high-watermark of late 2010s TV. It's gripping, ambitious, and gets better and bolder as it progresses, culminating in one of the most surprising and daring finales I think I've ever seen. It's also frequently fucking hilarious.

It's still on iPlayer and I think comes to Netflix soon. Anyone else watched it?

chveik

aye it's good, superior to yer usual bbc crime dramas.

chveik

hmm the ending's quite underwhelming and it made me realise how flawed and all over the place tonally it is. I guess that's the common factor with all these kind of shows, you're being entertained but when you think about it for a bit it just feels pointless.

Crabwalk

I love the wildly varying tone of it. You've got the world-weary naturalism of Kenzo's story, the cool, stylised world of Yuto, the frenetically debauched Rodney, the awkwardly funny Sarah - every character has their own distinctive sense of place (or displacemenct) within the world. Watching them all intertwine (literally, in that
Spoiler alert
amazing rooftop scene in the
[close]
finale) was one of the show's greatest pleasures for me.

I found the ending powerful and moving. It's suitably
Spoiler alert
ambiguous
[close]
for such a morally and thematically complex show, while still
Spoiler alert
playing out satisfactorily from a narrative standpoint
[close]
. There were a couple of great twists late on, too.
Spoiler alert
Roy!
[close]

My mum's been raving about this.

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 25, 2020, 05:21:11 PM
I love the wildly varying tone of it. You've got the world-weary naturalism of Kenzo's story, the cool, stylised world of Yuto, the frenetically debauched Rodney, the awkwardly funny Sarah - every character has their own distinctive sense of place (or displacemenct) within the world. Watching them all intertwine (literally, in that
Spoiler alert
amazing rooftop scene in the
[close]
finale) was one of the show's greatest pleasures for me.

I found the ending powerful and moving. It's suitably
Spoiler alert
ambiguous
[close]
for such a morally and thematically complex show, while still
Spoiler alert
playing out satisfactorily from a narrative standpoint
[close]
. There were a couple of great twists late on, too.
Spoiler alert
Roy!
[close]

Just got round to watching this (thanks mum) and agree with everything Crabwalk says in this thread, absolutely loved it.

The
Spoiler alert
amazing rooftop scene in the finale
[close]
was unexpected and beautiful, if someone had told me that in advance it would have put me off the whole show. but here it worked perfectly and took my breath away.

VelourSpirit

Can't believe I made the thread on this and STILL haven't gotten round to watching it. I'm always doing this, really looking forward to TV shows and films and things and wishing they were already out, and then just not watching them.

Crabwalk

I put off watching it for ages too for some reason - maybe subconsciously thinking it was going to be hard work. It's really not though; it moves at a hell of a lick and doesn't play out at all as you think it will.

Buelligan

Yes, someone sent it to me, I watched it.  Put off watching it because I thought it would be predictable.  It was not predictable. I was entirely wrong. 

Agree totally with Crabs.  One of the best things I've ever watched I think. 

Loved all the strands.  All the different textures used to weave something genuinely beautiful.  Little moments of perfection.  Big loops of logic wrapping the whole.  Something about the randomness of life that's actually incredibly precise but we don't understand the pattern until we get to the end.  Really loved it and it made me laugh.

Alberon

Me and the Mrs only started watching it last week and just finished it. Lovely little series!

Bently Sheds

This was excellent.

I have but one question:
Spoiler alert
Who sent Roy to get Eiko and her baby (and Rei & her mother in law) and to what end? Who was he taking them to?
[close]