Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:49:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

John Romero's About to Make You His Bitch

Started by peanutbutter, September 30, 2019, 09:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Did people in the 90s know he was a charlatan or was it a case that people couldn't fully comprehend that John Carmack was as ludicrously good as he was all by himself?

What other game developers managed to get by on their teams talent for ages?

madhair60

H-O-W-L

madhair60

I like it, sorry. It's the last gasp of that style of FPS, laden with actual secrets and complex map designs. Obviously it is flawed but it's still a lot of fun. I prefer it to the very dull Half-Life.

H-O-W-L

would you play it over Blood? this is the ultimate cunt test.

madhair60

Fuck no. Jesus christ. I wouldn't play it over any of the Build big four.

peanutbutter

Quote from: madhair60 on September 30, 2019, 09:55:35 AM
I like it, sorry. It's the last gasp of that style of FPS, laden with actual secrets and complex map designs. Obviously it is flawed but it's still a lot of fun. I prefer it to the very dull Half-Life.
As in... Romero was actually good at his bit or it was a bit of a fun as a throwback?

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 30, 2019, 10:30:11 AM
would you play it over Blood? this is the ultimate cunt test.
Why is that?

Quote from: madhair60 on September 30, 2019, 10:31:30 AM
Fuck no. Jesus christ. I wouldn't play it over any of the Build big four.
What is this?

NoSleep

peanutbutter

Quote from: NoSleep on September 30, 2019, 01:09:13 PM
What are we claiming John Romero didn't do?
He's a bit before my time, see. So I'm trying to figure out if there was a large number of people who knew Carmack the only one who mattered in any serious way at the time or whether everyone legit believed Romero was great for a while.

I've never known Romero as anything other than the guy who made that big flop, so I struggle to grasp his status before that.

madhair60

He made some superb Doom maps!

The Build big four, in my eyes, are Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood and Redneck Rampage. All superb.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

As I understand it, Carmack was the tech genius, but Romero was the ideas man. Oversimplification perhaps, but looking at the Carmack-only Doom 3 indicates that Romero wasn't just some hack.

NoSleep

A kind of designer/director. Seeing with the eyes of the punter.

QDRPHNC

bgmnts

I always thought it was:

Romero = Style
Carmack = Substance.

Together they're good, seperate they're not so good.

NJ Uncut

Nah he was alright. Good mapper, just think he believed his own hype

Creating maps is NOT making a full game

And yeah, most people who slate Daikatana probably only played the first level (which is fucking terrible). It was servicable,not great, but not bad. The hype backlash murdered it.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 30, 2019, 02:42:08 PM

Carmack = Substance.

Together they're good, seperate they're not so good.

Umm the engines from Quake 2 onwards were fucking great, mate

bgmnts

Well yeah but a game isn't all just about its engine is it?

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on September 30, 2019, 06:20:44 PM
Well yeah but a game isn't all just about its engine is it?

But why are you putting an entire game (or several! though I think Quakes 2-3 were boss and the new DooM 2016 was his last engine and it's great) on Carmack when he was the engine guy?

peanutbutter

Are the maps great? I don't really get that style of FPS enough to know what makes a great map

NJ Uncut

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 30, 2019, 06:30:45 PM
Are the maps great? I don't really get that style of FPS enough to know what makes a great map

He did the first episode of Doom which is itself classic

Designed Hexen 1 and 2 (2 was good!)

Quite a lot of Quake maps though less than half

Umm. So he's not a god or anything. If he wasn't such a hype obsessed nut he'd basically be Levelord

bgmnts

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 30, 2019, 06:29:44 PM
But why are you putting an entire game (or several! though I think Quakes 2-3 were boss and the new DooM 2016 was his last engine and it's great) on Carmack when he was the engine guy?

What? I'm not, i'm just saying that when they working together they made a good partnership.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on September 30, 2019, 06:38:20 PM
What? I'm not, i'm just saying that when they working together they made a good partnership.

So what's this bit about then eh, Bigmounts??

Quoteseperate they're not so good.

a game isn't all just about its engine is it

Carmack is the engine guy, so you're basically saying as they seperated at Quake 1 (which was a belting engine to be fair) it was the high watermark (which isn't an outrageous opinion, but Carmack's work remained great for ages)

id did get worse, I mean Rage was shite, Doom 3 shite. That was yonks after Romero did one though. Don't think it's entirely Carmack's fault though, not sure he was worse without Romero (even if you could make a decent case the games were)

They're both shite these days

bgmnts

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on September 30, 2019, 06:45:21 PM
Exactly, so separate they aren't so good.

??

Carmack was not all of id!!

Fucking hell mate your posts are exhausting

NJ Uncut

What do you think of American McGee eh Bigmounts?

Twed

I don't know why but I always picture American McGee as Dave Perry.

bgmnts

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 30, 2019, 06:54:52 PM
What do you think of American McGee eh Bigmounts?

Never played any of his games but he worked for EA so probs a bit of a cunt like.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Twed on September 30, 2019, 06:56:59 PM
I don't know why but I always picture American McGee as Dave Perry.

His clothing line will disspell that notion!

madhair60

Rev+

Well known, but why not:  the best thing about Daikatana was the thing about one of the character's names causing a problem:  Kage.  Someone working on it mentioned the character to Romero and pronounced it as 'Cage', causing the bitch-maker to flip out around the office mocking the guy going 'ooh, Cage!  Cage!  It's pronounced Kar-Jay you idiot'.  To which the guy naturally responded 'you might have mentioned that before the voice actors recorded their lines'.  Nothing was sucked down that day.