Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:52:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sorry We Missed You.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, September 30, 2019, 04:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I saw a premiere of Ken Loach's latest Sorry We Missed You on Saturday. It was about the gig economy and zero hours contracts. It was decent but a bit more hammy and over the top than I, Daniel Blake.

The writer Paul Laverty was up to do a q&a. Which was fascinating, talking about how they researched it and I, Daniel Blake, and how it was much harder getting zero hours delivery drivers to tell them whistle-blower stuff, than it was from people at the job centre. There weren't really any questions directed at Laverty, more left wing people making statements, one woman basically said she's about to retire with a phat pension and how when she worked it was a closed shop and union driven, and that young people won't have that and we should join a union.

Anyone else seen it? I think it gets a general release in November.

Saw it when it came out, thought it was better than I, Daniel Blake. It was the best film I saw in 2019, really excellent. Every one of the actors would win oscars if there was actually any reward for genuine talent in such things.

The scene where the young lad's "girl friend" leaves town to move to Blackpool and he sees her off at the bus station almost had me blubbing, it was the ultimate in bleak melancholy.