Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr Mercedes Series 3

Started by Rev+, October 01, 2019, 02:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

Anyone know what the theme song is?  It's bugging the shit out of me because I know it and don't know it.

Nobody talks about this series but an arsey Brendan Gleeson is always worth a watch, and after a wobbly second series it seems to be back on the rails.  It must have had some degree of success in order to get a third series, but there's no buzz around it whatsoever.  It just is.

This is a beacon for anyone watching, then.

NJ Uncut

Season two was crap so haven't got round to this.

Is or any better?

rasta-spouse

I really like that scene in S1 when the wrong un goes to the hardware store to get his pesticide and The Pixies' Here Comes Your Man is playing. Nothing much happens but he's so gd insane.

Yeah, S2 was dumb. They seemed desperate to hold on to an interesting character who really should've died, and in doing so betrayed the story.

Rev+

It's three episodes in but is already a massive improvement on the dreadful second series.  Calling it 'Mr Mercedes' was a mistake as there's a need to keep him in there in some way, but this time it's more about the after-effects and the title seems justified.  He's cast a big shadow over some of the characters.

If you gave up on the second run I can't blame you, but I'd watch the final episode before giving this one a go.  Not just because I had an actual 'jump out me chair' moment.

rasta-spouse

Does Gleeson still have his Scooby Gang? That was another thing that really bugged me about S2. Getting a bit miffed just thinking about it.

Rev+

Oh the gang are still knocking about, but the focus is mainly on one of them, and they seem to have a bit more of a justifiable place this time given what they're tasked with doing.

Rev+

That'll be that, then.

There's no reason this couldn't carry on, but they've exhausted the source material and three series feels about right anyway, particularly as the title of the thing became increasingly irrelevant.  Despite being an American show the whole thing did have the feel of something that would crop up on ITV at 9pm on a Sunday, although a bit more sweary and a lot more gory.  It does feel like we're leaving these characters a little early, like they've got another adventure in them.

The thing's so difficult to see, even illegally, I'm amazed it made it to 3 series.  Worth a crack if you never have, though.

timebug

I'm enjoying  it, and am currently fast approaching the end of the much despised Series 2. I found S2 slow starting, but I stuck with it and it improved (I.M.O, Obviously!). Problem for me is, I read all three books,and most of S2 does not strike any memories of the book; so whilst S1 made changes 'for dramatic effect' (as they always tell us), I am not sure what the fuck happened with S2. Anyway, it passes an hour for me,so I will persevere and watch S3 next.
And yes, Brendan Gleason plays 'arsey' to perfection!

Rev+

The third series is supposed to be roughly faithful to the second book in the series, but at the same time makes some pretty severe changes.  Some of these are a result of what happened in series 2 - they'd gone off in their own direction a bit, and had to keep going I suppose.  The third run brings a lot of baggage with it but is a bit of a refreshing reset in a way.

timebug

Finished all 3 series yesterday.Yes,S3 is basically the second book, with added baggage from the stuff they bunged in to S2.
Quite enjoyable,although bits of it wandered into 'Fargo' territory I thought? And the theme song which the OP asked about is Bob Dylan's 'Series of Dreams' from one of the 'official' Bootleg albums.

rasta-spouse

I enjoyed the opening of S3 - felt like it was going in a new, more interesting, direction. It's become a bit sluggish half-way through the season and I've paused on watching for now. As it's about a murdered Stephen King type author you'd think it'd have a more authentic feel to it with some really nice details but it all feels a bit rickety.  Nice to see Janeway back though.