Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:13:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RuPaul's Drag Race UK

Started by Blue Jam, October 01, 2019, 11:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

This starts on BBC3 on Thursday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07kt8b4

The only name I recognise among the queens is Cheryl Hole (Georgia Tasda must be fuming that she didn't pick a more BBC-friendly name). Let's hope she's still in for the week when Cheryl Cole will be a guest judge... Good to see there's a Scouse queen (The Vivienne)- I'm biased but I think she's my favourite already. Sum Ting Wong... oof- bit of a dodgy name but that didn't stop Miz Cracker.

The choice of regular judges- Alan Carr and Graham Norton- is a bit obvious but should work pretty well. The Pit Crew is now The Brit Crew, love it. For once I'm actually looking forward to Snatch Game, what with the chance I might actually recognise some of the celebrities being impersonated.

My only other prediction is that this will push Glinner over the edge and finally get him served his divorce papers...

Cuellar

Nice, nice. In two minds about Cheryl Hole. It's not really a pun, is it? Georgia Tasda is brilliant, however. Shame.

Blinder Data

I'm intrigued by this, especially after I read in an interview that Graham Norton said the British ones are much funnier. Don't know much about drag really but it seems US ones are fantastic with "looks" and dancing and whatnot but could they silence a hen party on a cold wet Tuesday night in Stoke with a killer line? Of course they couldn't - every time they need to act or tell jokes they are shit at it.

Blue Jam

This interview?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/29/rupaul-drag-race-uk-bbc-alan-carr-graham-norton-interview

QuoteI've seen the first episode of your show and it is a lot more messy and anarchic than the US version.
Alan: Drag queens in the UK, they survive it all – there's a hen party, a stag party, people throwing beer bottles. They work not on their heels, but on their wits.
Graham: Even the ones that aren't funny are funny. Suddenly, you realise how unfunny some of the American ones are.

Sounds promising... and they're both absolutely right of course. The US version has a few comedy queens like Shangela and Miss Vanjie Mateo but loads who are lacking in personality and have no comedy chops whatsoever- ie, all the ones who make the Snatch Game episode such a chore.

The US version also attracts too many applicants who think that being naturally pretty and feminine-looking is enough, and they're always surprised to be sent home long before the final even though those queens never win.

I'm hoping the UK version will be nicely rough around the edges, not too polished.

Cuellar

Watching episode 1 now - there's a straight taking part!

Blue Jam

I'm pleased to see that was pretty much the same as the original US version but cruder, even if some of the queens seem to be mistaking excessive crudeness for humour. Also minus the relentless product placement of course, which means no big prizes, but The Vivienne (YAAAAAAAAYYYY!) seemed happy enough with her little pin badge so fuck it.

Scaredy Kat was better than I expected but I suspect she's sneakily lowering expectations here- doing drag without ever having seen a drag show? Yeah right... I wasn't surprised to see Gothy Kendoll go. Baga Chipz is just the right side of obnoxious- for now. Loved Sum Ting Wong's runway looks and was expecting her to win.

Cuellar

Yeah, thought Sum Ting Wong was probably robbed there. Although once I realised The Vivienne was meant to be Pete Burns I thought the look was a lot better. Thought she looked like a corpse when she first came out, but then I thought 'oh yeah, well that's Pete Burns isn't it'.

Hadn't realised there'd be no product placement, but of course! Like the Rupeter Badge.

My team of queens this time contains: Baga Chips, Blu Hydrangea, The Vivienne, Crystal and Davina de Campo. Feeling pretty confident tbh. Although I think Cheryl Hole is solid.

bgmnts

Sum Ting Wong? Georgia Tasda?

Got me so close to giving in and watching this.

Cuellar

Georgia Tasda isn't in it, sadly :(

Sum Ting Wong definitely is, though.

Surprised how good this was, was expecting it to be bad

Baga Chips was annoying and an IRL tory

The Vivienne hilarious

No spoilers but the one who went out was so bad I could hardly watch it, lip sync was me after 8 pints

olliebean

Quote from: Cuellar on October 03, 2019, 08:44:49 PM
Watching episode 1 now - there's a straight taking part!

Not straight. Identified as bi, I think, in the intro to the contestants that seems to have been removed from iPlayer now. But seems to feel the need to assert that he's not gay.

Cuellar

Ah, did wonder if he was bi - only saw him talk about his girlfriend in the work room but did notice he never actually said he was full on straight.

poodlefaker

Best drag name = Jacqui Potato. Shame she's not on this.

Cuellar

That it is a shame. I think one of the queens referenced someone called Sandra Bollocks, too.

Norton Canes

Alan Carr and Graham Norton sharing the screen? Won't they just sort of cancel each other out? Also, had a look at the upcoming guest judges. Why no Alan Shearer?

Cuellar

Thought Andrew Garfield was a waste of space, with his transatlantic accent going on about 'us brits'.

At least Maisie Williams looks like she dressed the part on next week's.

bgmnts

I still find myself cracking up at Georgia Tasda guys. I can'y help it, it pops in my head.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 04, 2019, 03:39:08 PM
Alan Carr and Graham Norton sharing the screen? Won't they just sort of cancel each other out?

Norton wasn't on episode one, so I assume he and Carr are going to alternate like Ross Matthews and Carson Kressley do on the US version.

I found this episode a bit meh. I didn't detect a distinctly more comedic tone to the queens versus the US version, even though I would say the UK drag scene as a whole always seems to take itself a little less seriously than what I've seen in Drag Race. Maybe things are the same in the wider US scene, and it's just the production company being biased towards having a range of different styles and contestants who are able to passably lip sync snd sew meaning there's always fewer jokesters than I'd like.

Did I catch from the beginning of the episode that one of them (Scaredy Kat?) had never been on stage before? How does that work, then? Just doing it at home for their gran?

Blue Jam

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 06, 2019, 10:19:37 AM
Norton wasn't on episode one, so I assume he and Carr are going to alternate like The Hilarious Ross Matthews and Carson Kressley do on the US version.

Did I catch from the beginning of the episode that one of them (Scaredy Kat?) had never been on stage before? How does that work, then? Just doing it at home for their gran?

I suspect Scaredy Kat may be bullshitting somewhat, a bit like Tescoid Mary on The X Factor.

touchingcloth

The bit where Gothy was in the green box talking about giving head was one of the best bits of telly I've seen in a while. Love that even Runwas wrongfooted and after a delay just cackled his head off. Three times in a row.

Cuellar

I could barely watch that, too awkward

Blue Jam

I refuse to believe RuPaul didn't know what "vinegar strokes" means.

Blue Jam

What would YOUR drag name be? I'd be Vivian Substantial or Shandy McNab.

touchingcloth

Shandy MacNOB.

I'd be Veruca Sock or Sue She-Rice.

bgmnts

Rim Jong Un.

Or Rim Dong Cum.

Blue Jam

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 06, 2019, 10:19:37 AM

Kinda saw that as Cosplay enthusiast enters Drag Race.

Blinder Data

Where did they find Gothy thingy from Leicester? I could've done a better lipsync than that. God knows how the hundreds of drag queens who were unsuccessful at the auditions felt like watching at home.

Hard to see past The Vivienne as things stand. Let's hope someone "goes on a journey", improves massively and the judges fall in love with them.

Blue Jam

Runway Challenge: Bond Girl Realness

Ohmigod this is amazing. Love Laser Minelli...

Blue Jam

I've never seen Downton Abbey but "Downton Draggy" is cracking me the fuck up. Baga Chipz's accent especially.