Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:35:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Revisiting Fawlty Towers.

Started by Dusty Substance, October 01, 2019, 11:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Having not watched it for over a decade I've recently been re-visiting Fawlty Towers, as spurred on by Robert Popper's episode of Rule Of Three Podcast. 

As a kid our family were way ahead of the curve by being the one of the first to own a VHS player and we had all the episodes but The Builders, The Wedding Party and The Waldorf Salad on tape and I would watch them endlessly. My parents were especially obsessed with Communication Problems and we still quote bits of the episodes to each other at family gatherings.

I didn't think I'd ever need to rewatch them as the majority of the episodes scripts have been burnt into my brain but having listened to the Popper episode and then seeing that they're all on Netflix I decided to start watching them again.

I'm so glad to have done so. It's one thing remembering the dialogue but it's another thing to see the performances and the physical comedy from Cleese and Sachs.

It's the first time I've seen them since becoming older than Cleese was by the time the twelve episodes had been aired so it's been really interesting watching them with a new perspective.

First thing is that all the regular cast are really good. I never cared for Manuel as a kid but he's far better than I remembered, Sybil's actually way more attractive than I ever realised (although, 1970s Connie Booth was an absolute stunner) and, the best rediscovery, is seeing how excellent Ballard Berkley was as the Major. The interaction between Berkley and Cleese is especially funny.

Much like when I dismissed Queen for a decade because I'd been told it was no longer "cool" to like them, I'm so glad to have gone back and re-watched all the Fawlty Towers episodes. 

pigamus

It's probably the least overrated thing in British history.

Spudgun

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 01, 2019, 11:28:32 PMand, the best rediscovery, is seeing how excellent Ballard Berkley was as the Major. The interaction between Berkley and Cleese is especially funny.

Wholeheartedly agree with just about everything you wrote, and that quoted bit in particular. Last time I rewatched it, I was struck by how I'd never really 'got' the character of the Major before. But we're not alone, as it's also noticeable that some of his and Basil's best exchanges are met with absolute silence from the audience, too. Poor old Ballard deserved better.

I think I'm going to have to dig out my DVDs now...

pigamus

Cleese's DVD commentary is pretty good too. I found it interesting that the one he really pissed himself laughing at was The Anniversary, which a lot of people don't like.

Spudgun

Quote from: pigamus on October 01, 2019, 11:50:06 PM
Cleese's DVD commentary is pretty good too. I found it interesting that the one he really pissed himself laughing at was The Anniversary, which a lot of people don't like.

Yes, and doesn't he cite an obviously flubbed bit of violence as an example of great physical comedy? I think it's in The Builders, when Manuel kicks the wobbly set to feign his head being banged into the wall by Basil. I could be misremembering.

I've never been overly keen on The Anniversary, but it does contain my favourite line which no-one ever quotes. As Polly refuses to dress up as Sybil, Basil snaps: "I'll ruin you. You'll never waitress in Torquay again." Like that's his idea of being ruined. It's absolutely nothing written down, but in context it's just so angry, stupid and pathetic all at once. One for the "Extremely small moments in comedy..." thread, perhaps.

DrGreggles

Cleese's DVD commentary is pretty good too.

It's one of my favourite commentaries.
His OTT self-criticism grates a bit, but he's so generous to everyone else involed and it's fascinating to hear why/how certain things came to be.

pigamus

Quote from: Spudgun on October 02, 2019, 12:06:23 AM
Yes, and doesn't he cite an obviously flubbed bit of violence as an example of great physical comedy? I think it's in The Builders, when Manuel kicks the wobbly set to feign his head being banged into the wall by Basil. I could be misremembering.

I've never been overly keen on The Anniversary, but it does contain my favourite line which no-one ever quotes. As Polly refuses to dress up as Sybil, Basil snaps: "I'll ruin you. You'll never waitress in Torquay again." Like that's his idea of being ruined. It's absolutely nothing written down, but in context it's just so angry, stupid and pathetic all at once. One for the "Extremely small moments in comedy..." thread, perhaps.

Yeah that's a brilliant line, so gloriously pathetic! My favourite bit is, "Don't! Don't hit our friends!", which is just such a ludicrous thing to say that it always gets me.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Spudgun on October 01, 2019, 11:45:42 PM
But we're not alone, as it's also noticeable that some of his and Basil's best exchanges are met with absolute silence from the audience, too. Poor old Ballard deserved better.

He really did deserve more. I'd probably considered his acting as what an old WW2 duffer like him would be like but he's sharp and his timing is excellent.

Another gag met with audience silence is by Manuel in The Builders when he asks the eponymous builders "Which one is man with beard?".

Ferris

FT makes me laugh in a way nothing else does, really. It is strongly interwoven with memories of my dad who (as well as loving the show), owns and operates his own small business and on two occasions has, in Fawlty-esque fit of pique, called one man "a magnificent cretin" and retorted to another (after much back and forth, I am told); "madam, you are a nincompoop". This is now family lore.

The personal connection is why I find it so very funny, and I'm willing to overlook any dodgy jokes that haven't aged well on this basis.

I must watch it again, although last time my wife had to turn it off because I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Jockice

EOLAN

Quote from: Spudgun on October 01, 2019, 11:45:42 PM
Wholeheartedly agree with just about everything you wrote, and that quoted bit in particular. Last time I rewatched it, I was struck by how I'd never really 'got' the character of the Major before. But we're not alone, as it's also noticeable that some of his and Basil's best exchanges are met with absolute silence from the audience, too. Poor old Ballard deserved better.

I think I'm going to have to dig out my DVDs now...

"Remembrance service? I don't remember that old boy." Great line delivered perfectly in character and not a titter. Though I think most of the audiences focus was on Basil's/Cleese's anxiety and pitiful pleading. Could easily imagine that line (maybe without the "old boy") getting a huge laugh in an American sitcom; delivered in a total hammy way. 

I love the Anniversary, it's the best of the whole astonishing bunch. I like the flow of it, the scenario unfolds so naturally and convincingly. It almost feels like a Mike Leigh piece (but with far better jokes). The anniversary guests have a depth of character and interaction that really allows me to believe that they shared a past together.

Favourite moments:
Basil confusing puffed thighs and eyes
Everything involving Ken Campbell
Basil guiding a bemused Sybil into a cupboard
And the highlight - the pathetic audacity of Basil introducing himself to Sybil as if she was a stranger: "We met once at a fete"

famethrowa

"Two small and dry..."
"Oh, I wouldn't say that"
"What??"

Love the Colonel working hard to make that joke work.

McChesney Duntz

My favorite joke that gets absolutely no response (because it's buried in laughter and is presented so offhandedly) is from "Gourmet Night," where Basil literally falls about the place in order to not say the name "TWITCHen" to the (twitching) Colonel, leaving the former to introduce himself to the latter as Basil leaves, revealing that his name isn't even pronounced that way. Small gag, but perfect.

lankyguy95

The audio of Cleese's commentaries are on Youtube. They really are fantastic.

Replies From View

Quote from: Spudgun on October 02, 2019, 12:06:23 AM

I don't think you are misremembering.  It's very odd that he considers it such a highlight as it's one of the weakest Basil and Manuel fights, especially in the context of what he's discussing.

I think I've mentioned it before in one of the previous Fawlty Towers threads or DVD commentaries threads.

pish

Basil's recurring obsession with Henry Kissenger always causes an amuse.

It's also important to note FT was a BBC-2 thing despite its popularity, remaining there for repeats, long before it became a mainstay filler on BBC-1 by the nineties. I suppose there was anxiety over someone saying, "arse" and "bastard" and "crap" and such. Not to mention the more contentious stuff.

Though each episode is essentially a stage play, it benefited much from the 'magic of television' at the time.

All-round excellence.

Gurke and Hare

"...all washed up with lashings of hot screwdriver..."

mjwilson

Why does Sibyl have so many wigs? Is it a 70s thing? Are they for special occasions? Do women secretly wear wigs all the time without telling me?

Seagullsim

Quote from: pish on October 02, 2019, 07:40:37 PM
Basil's recurring obsession with Henry Kissenger always causes an amuse.

It's also important to note FT was a BBC-2 thing despite its popularity, remaining there for repeats, long before it became a mainstay filler on BBC-1 by the nineties. I suppose there was anxiety over someone saying, "arse" and "bastard" and "crap" and such. Not to mention the more contentious stuff.

Though each episode is essentially a stage play, it benefited much from the 'magic of television' at the time.

All-round excellence.

I recently sat and watched it with my kids, and was delighted how much they loved it. They were shocked that 'the N word' was used in a relatively tame comedy though - that's something they don't hear much these days.

I'd forgotten just how poor the props were for "Basil the Rat" - when the rat is in the biscuit box, it doesn't look anything like a real rodent.

idunnosomename

Andrew Sachs was such a great voice actor, shame his last years were overshadowed by Woss and Booky Wooky Cunty Wunty being a dickhead to him

oy vey

It's a triumph they stopped at exactly the right time. 12 is spot on. Once you have Sybil saying "He's from Barcelona" (the best rendition of that phrase by a long shot) you know you've reached the end. Basil The Rat is my favourite but I've always had a soft spot for The Waldorf Salad. I love the pompous, agressive, shit humour of Harry Hamilton "Maybe Robinson's arm got better" and the Nazi rant is sweet.

The guest "antagonists" were perfect in every episode. Ballard Berkley was fucking great as well - used sparingly but perfect every time "Another one Fawlty?" "No, same one Major".

pigamus

There is one genuinely shit episode though. But it isn't The Anniversary.

neveragain

pigamus

Tony Tony Tony

Excellent reminiscences.

I should mention the wonderful performance by Bernard Cribbins and his mustache.

He joins the ranks of noted comedy toothbrush tache wearers; Chaplin, Blakey from on the Buses, Oliver Hardy and Richard Herring.

Have I missed anyone obvious?

Utter Shit

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 03, 2019, 01:32:12 PM
Excellent reminiscences.

I should mention the wonderful performance by Bernard Cribbins and his mustache.

He joins the ranks of noted comedy toothbrush tache wearers; Chaplin, Blakey from on the Buses, Oliver Hardy and Richard Herring.

Have I missed anyone obvious?

He turned up on an episode of some cBeebies show the other day, and I was surprised at how (relatively) sprightly he looked. By the look of him, he would only have been in his 80s at a guess (just checked, he's 90!), which means he would have been in his 40s during Fawlty Towers (just checked, 47!) - mad, I'd have had him down as late 50s if not 60s.

jobotic

Quote from: mjwilson on October 02, 2019, 10:53:18 PM
Why does Sibyl have so many wigs? Is it a 70s thing? Are they for special occasions? Do women secretly wear wigs all the time without telling me?

Sybil seems like such a person of her time, but were there people like her in that time?

I guess we'll never know.