Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris Channel 4 interview

Started by j_u_d_a_s, October 02, 2019, 05:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j_u_d_a_s

Just been made aware of this interview with Jon Snow - https://youtu.be/liV5wKAihh8

Not had a chance to watch it yet but interviews with Morris are rare as rocking horse shit so enjoy!

Zetetic

Hard not to hear some of this as specifically relevant to The Thick of It, Veep and Ianucci himself.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Thomas

Buellers posted it over in the film discussion, but it probably does warrant its own thread.

Quote from: Zetetic on October 02, 2019, 06:12:52 PM
Hard not to hear some of this as specifically relevant to The Thick of It, Veep and Ianucci himself.

I couldn't help but read similarly into that. The Thick of It-OBE trajectory springs to mind as one of the clearest examples of what he's talking about.

EBGB

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 02, 2019, 06:17:00 PM
He's an articulate bugger, isn't he?
Blessedly so.  I couldn't help but be amused at two extremely tall individuals trying to fold into the C4 chairs, though.

Twit 2

He handled Snow's persistent low-level cuntery with aplomb.

shh

'War on terror.'..all a bit 2003 isn't it? one for the old-fashioned thread. (forgive me, he obviously has a way of winkling out these unexpectedly bizarre real life stories).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 03, 2019, 06:36:15 PM

Snow just showed him to be slightly elevated above Heat magazine level journalism with some of those comments/questions. "You used to take aim at us...he he he..." (go on Chris give us another withering funny for us liberal journos to feel like we're part of your gang).

pcsjwgm

"For example, if you look at Trump, suddenly the FBI were momentarily the good guys because they might bring him down. No, they're never the good guys. ... It's like with Nixon. The FBI instigated the Watergate inquiry, didn't make them the good guys then, they were up to their necks in COINTELPRO"

A refreshing departure from liberals licking the boots of the US national security state and other right-wing forces just because they're "anti-Trump".

oy vey

I love the energy and diction. He needs to get back on radio.

machotrouts

Thomas

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 02, 2019, 06:17:00 PM
He's an articulate bugger, isn't he?

Quote from: oy vey on October 04, 2019, 09:17:49 AM
I love the energy and diction. He needs to get back on radio.

Fun insight from the Guardian:

QuoteHis mind is as much analytical as imaginative. Institutional irrationality annoys, as do non-contextual metrics and linguistic slippage. At one point I ask if he thinks we need "seismic change". He explains that the word only applies to earthquakes and volcanoes, so he would have to be "a certain kind of extreme water to suggest that's what we need".

Such keen observational skills might also explain the sometimes messianic impression he leaves. It's a bit misleading: Morris is perfectly nice and kind and calm as he completely wipes the floor with you.

Adopting him quite early on as a comedy... not 'hero', stupid word, but you know - and recognising his linguistic precision has always inspired me to try to keep my wording specific and my metaphors clear. (Though I once homaged 'the stretched twig of peace is at melting point' in a university magazine article, and the editor kept it in accompanied by a puzzled question mark).

FredNurke

The figurative use of 'seismic' is the same age as him, so I think he's already lost that one.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 03, 2019, 06:36:15 PM

'Donald Trump eh? Tell us things that confirms our beliefs about that Nazi.'

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: shh on October 03, 2019, 09:11:01 PM
'War on terror.'..all a bit 2003 isn't it? one for the old-fashioned thread. (forgive me, he obviously has a way of winkling out these unexpectedly bizarre real life stories).

He seems to be doing what a lot of writers do when they hit their 50s and don't really know what's going on any more - scouring the headlines, rather than their immediate circle, for anything that might be of social relevance. It's just in Morris's case, the papers are 15 years out of date.

"I may just put a lot of effort into a tweet."
Haha great stuff.