Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,397
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:28:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lifters

Started by poo, October 03, 2019, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poo

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Encrypted hard drives.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Spirits.

... I steal gin from the off licence.

Dex Sawash

Shirts1

1.) Laundry day2

2.) Shirts go on top shelf

petril

NJ Uncut

Kettlebells alternated with glass to mouf to imbibe

Cuellar

Non Stop Dancer

Does anyone else almost pass out when going heavy or doing too many reps on a deadlift?

Also, do you have any specific goals in mind? Mine at present is to get to a point where I can bench my body weight as a working set. I'm at about 90% at the moment. Sure I could probably do my body weight as a one rep max but haven't tried it.

Absolutely fucking love lifting.

Non Stop Dancer

Arms day tomorrow, with a bit of legs thrown in as well.

Cuellar

Nah never almost passed out. Havent been able to squat/deadlift for months, knackered knees. Seen a physio, not much progress. Am I too old? Only started proper weightlifting a few years ago, late twenties

Non Stop Dancer

Best part of gym is catching someone have proper, prolonged, at the point of actually drooling stare at an incredible arse.

poo

Don't do gym. Bench at home, set of adjustables and a chin up bar. Main goal is not be become yer classic fat middle-aged British cunt, and beyond that to stave off the decrepitude of old age for as long as possible. Also gives me nice toned tris!

Happy to talk knees all day long Cuells. I find that leg strengthening - squats and deadlifts - alleviates chronic knee pain, but depends what you got I suppose.

Lifting is one on things I recommend to anyone without hesitation. I'm not talking body-building before anyone starts down that road. Just the joy of huffing iron around for fun and fitness, and the mental lift that lingers long after.

poo

Occasionally get light headed during and after intense sessions, but not really to point of feeling like I'm going to black out. Happened more when I was starting out. I'm an old cunt so I'm not going heavy heavy.

poo

How many sessions a week are people doing, out of interest? Aim is every other day, average is probably 3 (x 50mins) with shit getting in the way, as it does.

Cuellar

I was going 4 times a week, with heavy squats and deadlifts on a Tuesday. In retrospect that might have been too much, given my knees' propensity for getting fucked. These days it's just twice, heavy upper body stuff on Mondays and light upper body stuff on Thursdays.

They were feeling better after doing my exercises from the physio and not squating/deadlifting at all for a while. Haven't been doing my exercises recently and decided to give squatting 60 and deadlifting 100 a go on Tuesday and they've been a bit sore ever since. Maybe I should just do really light squats for a while, not increasing the weight at all.

The physio says I have tendonitis/tendinopathy

Non Stop Dancer

Every weekday for me, before work. Loosely speaking push, legs, pull, push again but with emphasis on shoulders this time, then arms and bits and pieces on Friday. Wow that's a really fucking boring post isn't it.

Ceullar, I would recommend searching out Jeff Cavalier on YouTube. He's a great exercise coach generally but whenever I've had some kind of weakness or ongoing soreness, he's always been able to offer a remedy.

Poo, I'm completely with you on doing this in order to stave off the worst effects of ageing. It's like paying into a physiological pension. I was getting to a point in my late 30s where I was making a bit of a groaning sound when getting up from a chair etc, and fuck that shit, frankly.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteOccasionally get light headed during and after intense sessions, but not really to point of feeling like I'm going to black out.

Just 2 check, still on about lifting at this point?

Non Stop Dancer

Can't lie, I wish every day was chest day. It's just the best one isn't it.

Just do it every day til your chest look like Optimous Prime

Non Stop Dancer

Those must be implants. He's not loading the bar up much with those triceps.

Neville Chamberlain

I love lifting. Can't say I'm a heavy lifter at all (I'm not a strong person), but good technique and constantly changing the reps/sets every few weeks makes me look like I can lift more than I actually can. I use the Smith machine for benching, mainly because I wanted to start shifting more weight but was worried about pinning myself under the bar. Yeah, I know the Smith machine only offers one plane of motion and doesn't require stabilising muscles, but it allows me to focus fully on squeezing the chest. Also do incline/flat barbell/dumbbells bench. For shoulders I do standing press and lateral/side raises. Try to go reasonably heavy on the press (3 sets of 8 reps), but you don't need much weight on side laterals to feel the burn. I've been really dissatisfied with my squats lately, probably trying to go too heavy. Next time I'm going to drop the weight and focus on going deeper, pausing and exploding upwards. Love all the other leg exercises. Deadlift is great. Big AthleanX fan. He really knows his stuff. I always like to imagine he says "Hi Guys Jeff Cavaliere AthleanX.com to his wife and kids in the morning :-)

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on October 10, 2019, 07:55:10 AM
I use the Smith machine for benching, mainly because I wanted to start shifting more weight but was worried about pinning myself under the bar.

We don't have a Smith machine at my gym and I was always worried about the same thing until I saw this video (you can go straight to about 3.30 to avoid a load of waffle). Do it with an empty bar first and then with some relatively light weights until you're comfortable that you could do it if you needed to fully loaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNHpjoTLTKw

Non Stop Dancer

Remember small_world who used to post here and would sometimes put up pictures of himself with his top off? He was a right specimen. Fully paid-up, card-carrying sexual deviant as well.

poo

My two core routines (all dumbbell):

Session 1
Bench press (3x8)
Flys (3x8)
Shoulder press (3x8)
Bicep curls (3x8)
Squats (3x8)
Lying tricep extensions (3x10) or calf raises (3x10)

Session 2
Standing reverse flys (3x12)
Scaption (3x10)
One arm bent over rows (3x10)
Shrugs (3x10)
Deadlift (3x10)
Side bends (3x12) and/ or leg raises (3x fail)

Repeat changing order of lifts and occasisionally mixing between the two. Haven't got the time/inclination to do specific leg, back days etc - prefer every sesh to be a full body workout.

As I'm passing taking the bins out or whatever:
Wide arm pullups and/or closed arm pullups

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on October 10, 2019, 10:11:31 AM
We don't have a Smith machine at my gym and I was always worried about the same thing until I saw this video (you can go straight to about 3.30 to avoid a load of waffle). Do it with an empty bar first and then with some relatively light weights until you're comfortable that you could do it if you needed to fully loaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNHpjoTLTKw

Haha, the Roll of Shame! I've had to do that a couple of times. Tipping the plates off each side is another option (which is why I never use the plate clamps for the bench press), though it can be a bit noisy and will guarantee you a spot on a covertly filmed "Gym Fail LOL!!!?!" video.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: poo on October 04, 2019, 09:28:09 AM
Main goal is not be become yer classic fat middle-aged British cunt, and beyond that to stave off the decrepitude of old age for as long as possible.

That's why i run. Just done a half marathon including the 12 weeks training and am now sick of running so after eat and drink October will need to give lifting a try. Used Stronglifts 5x5 many years ago so will start with that as it worked out ok.

It's either that or pilates

Neville Chamberlain

I'd love to be able to do pull-ups, but they elude me completely. I used to be able to do loads of reps when I was a teenager, but then I stopped doing any kind of strength training whatsoever until I decided to give the gym a go aged 39 (I'm 42 now and do strength training 3-4 times a week). I've built up a lot of strength and size (well, relative to how I was before) and have made good progress with back/shoulder/lat exercises - but pull-ups? Forget it! I can't pull myself up from a dead hang, which is where I'd ideally like to start. I get so far - and then nothing. I've tried scap pulls, jumping up to the bar and slowly lowering myself over anything from 5 seconds to 30 seconds, and I've got a pull-up bar at home and some bands, so I can at least knock out a few decent quality reps with the bands, which helps to understand how they should "feel". If anything, these "pull-up ancillary" exercises have helped me to improve my performance on dumbbell/machine back/shoulder exercises, but I just can't get the strength I've clearly built up on these exercises to transfer to the pull-up itself, which seems such a bloody long way off. I don't know whether it's age or the fact that the more muscle I put on with other exercises, the heavier I become, and so the harder the pull-up becomes. I'm just annoyed I never appreciated the value of pull-ups when I could actually do them as a teenager, because I reckon I could still be doing them to this day. In fact, I wish I'd discovered strength training / weight-lifting a whole lot sooner than 39.

poo

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on October 10, 2019, 11:07:59 AM
I'd love to be able to do pull-ups, but they elude me completely. I used to be able to do loads of reps when I was a teenager, but then I stopped doing any kind of strength training whatsoever until I decided to give the gym a go aged 39 (I'm 42 now and do strength training 3-4 times a week). I've built up a lot of strength and size (well, relative to how I was before) and have made good progress with back/shoulder/lat exercises - but pull-ups? Forget it! I can't pull myself up from a dead hang, which is where I'd ideally like to start. I get so far - and then nothing. I've tried scap pulls, jumping up to the bar and slowly lowering myself over anything from 5 seconds to 30 seconds. I can do them all really well and, if anything, they've helped me to improve my performance on dumbbell/machine back/shoulder exercises, but I just can't get the strength I've clearly built up on these "pull-up ancillary" exercises to transfer to the pull-up itself, which seems such a bloody long way off. I don't know whether it's age or the fact that the more muscle I put on with other exercises, the heavier I become, and so the harder the pull-up becomes. I'm just annoyed I never appreciated the value of pull-ups when I could actually do them as a teenager, because I reckon I could still be doing them to this day. In fact, I wish I'd discovered strength training / weight-lifting a whole lot sooner than 39.

Just keep huffing and puffing until you can do one, then two, then three. They are hard but definitely doable for anyone. Start with closed (palms facing) pullups first.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: poo on October 10, 2019, 11:23:57 AM
Just keep huffing and puffing until you can do one, then two, then three. They are hard but definitely doable for anyone. Start with closed (palms facing) pullups first.

Haha, given all the elaborate techniques I've tried in the past, I think just a bit of huffing and puffing and wriggling around might actually be my next strategy. When you say "palms facing", isn't that what's otherwise known as "chin-ups"? I can do three or four of them from a dead hang...

mikeyg27

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on October 03, 2019, 07:42:33 PM
Does anyone else almost pass out when going heavy or doing too many reps on a deadlift?

Also, do you have any specific goals in mind? Mine at present is to get to a point where I can bench my body weight as a working set. I'm at about 90% at the moment. Sure I could probably do my body weight as a one rep max but haven't tried it.

Absolutely fucking love lifting.

I definitely get a powerful rush of blood to the head on top-end Deadlifts. It's only lift it happens with though. I do greatly enjoying lifting. I find it therapeutic. I know a lot of people switch to CrossFit and the likes because they find doing the same thing all the time boring but I find something meditative about the repetitive tedium of it all.

As for goals, there's a wall in John Cena's gym with a list of members of the One Ton Club - people who can lift a combined 2000lbs on the six core lifts (bench, squat, deadliift, clean, jerk, snatch). There's no way I could do that without a drastic lifestyle change (i.e a clockwork diet and so many PEDs) but I'm working towards a much more attainable Bodywieght Club. I can do it for all the powerlifts, my clean is nearly there, and a jerk feels attainable in the near future. It's just the idea of a bodyweight snatch that feels completely improbable at this point.