Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:37:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Mouth S3

Started by madhair60, October 04, 2019, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Joyously silly and as sweet as the others, why the fuck does nobody talk about this consistently hilarious show.

It really is a fantastic show. Unfortunately I think it has a couple of desperately poor characters that really let it down. Ricky The Hormone Monster is quite literally one of the worst characters ever created. I can't fathom how anyone can find that funny. That Duke Ellington Ghost is also awful but considerably less objectionable.

up_the_hampipe

It's really excellent. Each episode is just stacked with great lines. It's probably the funniest cartoon on Netflix. I don't even think the "bad" characters hold it down that much, I certainly don't find Ricky to be terrible. Nick Kroll's voice acting is so brilliant - Coach Steve, Maurice and Lola always deliver. I've not watched this whole season yet, but I will say that as much as I enjoy Chelsea Peretti, her storyline as the addictive cell phone (Cellsea) wasn't great.

Captain Z

Just started watching S1 of this after someone at work recommended it. I like that there seems to be some good humour beyond just the sex/puberty jokes, which was how it was sold to me. The smoking, French-accented Statue of Liberty and Trainspotting reference for example.

Ja'moke

I love this show. Absolutely bonkers in places. Disgustingly crude. And yet somehow works in genuinely touching moments at times.

McFlymo

It's great. I am really enjoying S3, but trying not to binge it, so only watched 3 or 4 episodes so far. I have to echo previous comments, I think there is always at least one laugh out loud moment per episode for me, and it is usually some silly side joke or word play. On the other hand I love that it's so explicit and doesn't shy away from anything crude, yet still manages to be heartwarming. Yup, what you guys said.

I hate coach Steve and the creepy old man hormone monster, but I think in S3 they've featured them the right amount (i.e. barely at all).

I love this show, though, I even enjoy the songs!

I think it's the best cartoon I've seen in years and I wish it was more popular.

up_the_hampipe

How can you hate Coach Steve, my dude!

McFlymo

I guess I can't empathise with him, he's too farcical, every other character has something I can relate to.

Sin Agog

Quote from: McFlymo on October 17, 2019, 08:00:35 PM
I think it's the best cartoon I've seen in years and I wish it was more popular.

Currently listed at number 5 on Netflix's new Top 10 system.  Not bad for a program which features a 13-year-old girl's talking vagina, a pregnant fuck-pillow and David Thewlis.

McFlymo

Listened to a podcast with Nick Kroll last night. It was pretty dull and now I feel like all his character voices are a bit shite.

Loved season 1. Season 2 was very good but introduced some really poor characters. Season 3 is unwatchable.

madhair60

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on October 24, 2019, 07:07:48 AM
Loved season 1. Season 2 was very good but introduced some really poor characters. Season 3 is unwatchable.

Rubbish.

Quote from: madhair60 on October 24, 2019, 08:16:41 AM
Rubbish.

It's not rubbish.

That hormone monster is honestly one of the worst characters in any show I've ever seen. It completely ruined the show for me.

up_the_hampipe

How did you enjoy the first two seasons then? Maurice has been a prominent character in every episode from the very beginning. He's pretty integral to what the show is.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 17, 2019, 03:44:47 AM
How did you enjoy the first two seasons then? Maurice has been a prominent character in every episode from the very beginning. He's pretty integral to what the show is.

No, I mean Ricky.

famethrowa

Quote from: madhair60 on October 04, 2019, 10:45:53 PM
why the fuck does nobody talk about this consistently hilarious show

It looks like shit, all we see is some greasy giant lipped braces kid with glasses, it sounds like shit, they should hire some actual voice/cartoon actors who know how to convey conversation beyond a monotone, and it's offputting to hear young teen sex talk as jokes. There you go.

(Sorry to be negative but I've tried, lord knows, but just can't make it work for me.)

madhair60

ok then silently do not enjoy it i don't care

up_the_hampipe

Finished the season last night. Blimey, ended on a bum note, didn't it? More depressing than Bojack this year.

Ja'moke

Some nice quarantine viewing for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apyPyWkuOD8

The Big Mouth cast got together via Skype to do a live episode read-through.