Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:13:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the sweetest, most lovable film you've ever seen?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 05, 2019, 01:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Having a low day today and in need of something to perk me up which will warm the cockles of my cold dead heart, so any suggestions for sweet, warm, affecting and all round lovable films that always cheers you up would be appreciated.

I have one hour of work left today but then I shall return, and if someone hasn't suggested Irreversible, The Hills Have Eyes and Driller Killer I will be enormously disappointed pleased.

Replies From View

Small Man Big Horse

greenman

Maybe Porco Rosso? minus the deep seated sense of regret and looming spectre of facism of course.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: greenman on October 05, 2019, 03:27:55 PM
Maybe Porco Rosso? minus the deep seated sense of regret and looming spectre of facism of course.

Thanks for that, it's a movie I love to pieces but I've seen it recently, along with pretty much everything else Studio Ghibli have done, but I'm definitely open to suggestions for other anime.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 05, 2019, 03:34:33 PM
Debbie Does Dallas.

Thanks for that, it's a movie I love to pieces but I've seen it recently, along with pretty much everything else Debbie has done, but I'm definitely open to suggestions for other, wait, hang on a minute, no I'm not.

greenman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 05, 2019, 03:39:17 PM
Thanks for that, it's a movie I love to pieces but I've seen it recently, along with pretty much everything else Studio Ghibli have done, but I'm definitely open to suggestions for other anime.

Only Yesterday?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: weekender on October 05, 2019, 03:49:05 PM
Amelie.

I saw that at the cinema when in a terrible mood one day (I was temping for Esure at the time and so understandably miserable), absolutely loved it, but fear rewatching it in case I no longer adore it.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 05, 2019, 03:50:35 PM
It's a Wonderful Life.

It's a film I love, but have seen too many times.

Quote from: greenman on October 05, 2019, 03:56:30 PM
Only Yesterday?

That's one of three I've yet to see. So right now it's between that and Lucky.

greenman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 05, 2019, 04:10:25 PMThat's one of three I've yet to see. So right now it's between that and Lucky.

Very much in the same vein as Whisper of the Heart.

Replies From View

bgmnts

Quote from: Replies From View on October 05, 2019, 04:50:58 PM
It has a strangely downbeat ending, that film.

I mean Clarence gets his wings, Jimmy Stewart realises his value in life, his kindness is repayed by his friends and the community AND he gets to shag Donna Reed.

It doesn get much happier an ending that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 05, 2019, 04:23:10 PM
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

That's a film I love, but I have seen recently.

Quote from: greenman on October 05, 2019, 04:24:59 PM
Very much in the same vein as Whisper of the Heart.

Only Yesterday it is then, thanks for the suggestion as it is insane that I haven't seen it given how much I love Studio Ghibli.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Glebe

Absorb the anus burn

sevendaughters

Blumf

Blumf

True Stories (1986) Just a lovely, silly, weird, and plain fun film.

chveik

Rizla

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on October 05, 2019, 05:09:41 PM
La Gloire De Mon Pere.
Le Chateau De Ma Mere.

I've not seen either but am obtaining them now and will watch them soon, thanks for the recommendation.

Quote from: Glebe on October 05, 2019, 05:06:40 PM
Ghibli's Whisper of the Heart is lovely.

It truly is, hell it even made me like "Take Me Home, Country Roads" again despite being forced to sing it way too many times at school.

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 05, 2019, 05:11:57 PM
Where is the Friend's House? by Abbas Kiarostami.

I've not heard of that before but have added it to my imdb watchlist, thank you for that.

Quote from: Blumf on October 05, 2019, 05:14:43 PM
Or, for a change, Micmacs (2009) Maybe not as good, but still fun.

I'm a big fan, but I love pretty much everything Jeunet has done, even The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet.

Quote from: Piggyoioi on October 05, 2019, 05:15:46 PM
A Straight Story

It's a film I love, but also one I've seen recently. Thanks anyway, though.

Quote from: Blumf on October 05, 2019, 05:26:03 PM
True Stories (1986) Just a lovely, silly, weird, and plain fun film.

I've never seen that and really should have by now, so have obtained it tonight for a viewing very soon.

Quote from: oy vey on October 05, 2019, 05:30:15 PM
Wall-E

I love a lot Pixar films but never quite clicked with Wall-E, I'm not sure why and it's definitely a good movie, just not one I liked as much as most people did.

Quote from: chveik on October 05, 2019, 08:32:03 PM
Minnie & Moskowitz

Shamefully I've never got in to John Cassavetes but I shall definitely give that a shot.

Quote from: Rizla on October 05, 2019, 08:42:12 PM
The Castle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Castle_(1997_Australian_film), while since I've seen it but I recall the cockles were warmed.

I really liked that too, it's been a while since I saw it too but it's definitely a movie I'm very fond of.

ads82

I've not seen it a for a long time, but I remember being very moved and warmed by Whale Rider.

Funcrusher

Kore-Eda's 'Our Little Sister' is very sweet and full of nice people being nice. 'I Wish' is also very sweet. 'Where Is The Friends House' is a great film.

Small Man Big Horse

Only Yesterday, then - I thought it was a very sweet film but a slightly minor effort from Studio Ghibli, if only because while a lot of memories of her fifth grade self are engaging and very charming and funny, the modern day stuff didn't always work for me. Not that it's in any way bad, but the big preachy bit about the importance of organic farming wasn't quite as subtle as Studio Ghibli usually tend to be when making a point. I hate to criticise it because it is a really good film, and just what I was in the mood for today, but by Ghibli standards it's not a classic in the same way the majority of their films are. 7.4/10

Now I've only got My Neighbors the Yamadas and Tales from Earthsea left to watch, I've been deliberately putting off the former as I like the idea of their still being a Studio Ghibli film left for me to watch, and I'm not sure if I'll ever see the latter as everyone says it's so poor.