Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:46:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the sweetest, most lovable film you've ever seen?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 05, 2019, 01:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Banlon

chveik

Quote from: Funcrusher on October 05, 2019, 09:39:44 PM
Kore-Eda's 'Our Little Sister' is very sweet and full of nice people being nice.

seconded. Linda Linda Linda is pretty good for this kind of stuff too

Sin Agog

You seen My Favorite Year?  It may help being a fan of Errol Flynn, as the writer based the movie on his experience having to field Flynn's wayward visit to a '50s TV show he was working on.  Peter O'Toole should have done more cuddly movies like that.

Deyv

Not sure if it counts, but A Town Called Panic always cheers me up. It's a bit bizarre but the style really appeals to my inner child. My favourite bits are when Indian says "Cheval, oh no!"

I also second or third My Neighbours the Yamadas.

How are you feeling?

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for all the recommendations btw, it is appreciated.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on October 05, 2019, 09:42:41 PM
Kikujiro

I've added that to my watchlist, thanks for that.

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 05, 2019, 10:26:34 PM
You seen My Favorite Year?  It may help being a fan of Errol Flynn, as the writer based the movie on his experience having to field Flynn's wayward visit to a '50s TV show he was working on.  Peter O'Toole should have done more cuddly movies like that.

I haven't but I did download it the other day, so shall watch it soon.

Quote from: Deyv on October 05, 2019, 10:28:21 PM
Not sure if it counts, but A Town Called Panic always cheers me up. It's a bit bizarre but the style really appeals to my inner child. My favourite bits are when Indian says "Cheval, oh no!"

I also second or third My Neighbours the Yamadas.

How are you feeling?

I love A Town Called Panic to pieces, and really must get round to watching the tv show it's based on some day soon.

And much better thanks. Only Yesterday was very charming stuff, and now I'm watching Stephen Chow's King Of Comedy which is very silly but funny too. Plus I had a fuck load of chocolate which I'm not supposed to do given that I'm diabetic, but I've not had a cheat day in ages so thought I deserved one. And thank you for asking, too, it is appreciated.

madhair60

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on October 05, 2019, 11:08:50 PM
Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
Pride (2014)
Radio Days (1987)

I'd agree with all three of those (I went to see Little Miss Sunshine the musical recently too, with Gary Wilmot playing the Grandfather!) and Pride especially, I fucking love that movie.

Deyv

Glad you're feeling better, and I had no idea there was a TV show! I need to look into that right now!

Urinal Cake

If you want anime I recommend Summer Wars. Made by the official successor of MiyazakiTMeven though their films are very different.

Strangers in Good Company (1990)

Unfortunately the only clip on YouTube seems to be a very hokey VHS-era trailer.

imitationleather

Bit late to this but I would have said In the Mood For Love.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Funcrusher on October 05, 2019, 09:39:44 PM
Kore-Eda's 'Our Little Sister' is very sweet and full of nice people being nice.

Was weirdly buzzed when I saw Joe Cornish call this the best movie of whatever year it came out.

Twit 2

Quote from: madhair60 on October 05, 2019, 11:10:27 PM
Chef (2014)

By the end of that film I wanted the protagonist to burn to death cos of a chip-pan fire in his cunt bus.

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on October 05, 2019, 04:56:15 PM
I mean Clarence gets his wings, Jimmy Stewart realises his value in life, his kindness is repayed by his friends and the community AND he gets to shag Donna Reed.

It doesn get much happier an ending that.

To be honest I have only ever watched it up to the part where he's jumping off the bridge.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Replies From View on October 06, 2019, 07:40:12 AM
To be honest I have only ever watched it up to the part where he's jumping off the bridge.

Until a few years ago, I had only seen from that point on. Genuinely thought that was the beginning. Wife made me sit down and watch it with her. Lopping off the first hour makes it a lot better.

oy vey

Brundle-Fly

Prelude To A Kiss (1992) Meg Ryan and Alec Baldwin Romcom fantasy film Do not read ANY synopsis though as the reveal of the premise is a surprise.

Ian Benson

Local Hero (1983) and all of Taika Waititi's films.

Quote from: oy vey on October 06, 2019, 01:05:58 PM
I just watched Stan and Ollie. It's pretty sweet.

Yes.

studpuppet

Everyone's mentioned most of mine, but also Restless Natives and The Incredible Journey (the original one).

NJ Uncut

Amelie

Gets very sweet though, so watch it before diving into Men Behind the Sun

Dex Sawash

jake thunder

Kiwi Anthony Hopkins in the 1950s trying to break the land speed record on a WW1 motorcycle in Utah.

That's "The World's Fastest Indian".

A solid Sunday movie

Famous Mortimer

Watch one of those jukebox musicals, nothing bad happens and you get to see famous people lipsyncing to songs. "Across the Universe" is surprisingly charming, and I'm about to start a campaign to reclaim "Rock Of Ages" from the critical drubbing it got.

madhair60

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 06, 2019, 01:52:34 AM
By the end of that film I wanted the protagonist to burn to death cos of a chip-pan fire in his cunt bus.

okay, sorry about your psychiatric problems

popcorn

Quote from: chveik on October 05, 2019, 09:48:39 PM
Linda Linda Linda is pretty good for this kind of stuff too

Came here to suggest this. Can't miss an opportunity to recommend Linda Linda Linda.

A completely charming piece of work.

Twed

One Cut of the Dead

If you haven't seen it that might sound like a joke suggestion, but it isn't