Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the sweetest, most lovable film you've ever seen?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 05, 2019, 01:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

The Station Agent

Harold and Maude

So sweet yer teefs will fall out

dr beat

The Illusionist, as in the animated film based on Jaques Tati

Sin Agog

Quote from: popcorn on October 06, 2019, 09:39:27 PM
Came here to suggest this. Can't miss an opportunity to recommend Linda Linda Linda.

A completely charming piece of work.

There are sooOoo many of these school band movies/series in Japan. Swing Girls is another lovely one.

Also really like the Swedish stab at it, We Are The Best.  I fucking hated school and don't fetishize it at all, but there is something kinda poignant about seeing these weans onstage in their little school hall and knowing it'll probably pan out as one of the most memorable moments of their lives.

mojo filters

Woody Allen's 1995 smart and witty romantic comedy Mighty Aphrodite covers interesting relationships in a clever yet eminently loveable way.

The denouement is borderline sickly soppy, but can be forgiven when one appreciates how he well explores the various subject matters of awkward adoptions, prostitution, innate parental curiosity, and so forth - all with such care.

The sweetest and most lovable film character I can think of is Gene Wilder's sheep in 1972's Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask. I'm not endorsing the Gene Wilder character's intentions, but nevertheless it's a lovely looking piece of livestock.

The epic pairing of Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources explore a broad range of complex emotions, contrasting with the simple rural setting. However even the sad parts are shot with beautiful cinematography, whilst sweetness and love eventually triumph all the obstacles along the way.

lipsink

The first film I can think of for this thread was Enough Said (2013). It's a lovely wee film about two middle aged people finding love and Julia Louis Dreyfuss and James Gandolfini are both adorable in it. Gandlofini in particular shows us again what a great talent we lost and the character he plays is a big loveable slob who is kinda like Tony Soprano with all the evil taken out. What makes it even more bittersweet is the fact he never lived to see the film come out as it's one of his best performances.

Inspector Norse

My Life as a Dog

spoiler warning: do not watch movie expecting talking dogs

QDRPHNC

Crabwalk

Quote from: Twed on October 06, 2019, 10:03:00 PM
One Cut of the Dead

If you haven't seen it that might sound like a joke suggestion, but it isn't

Seconded.

I know it's been mentioned already but my answer to the title is Local Hero.

Sebastian Cobb

Just watched that My Life as a Courgette, deserves to be in here I reckon.

Bennett Brauer

Gregory's Girl must be too obvious seeing as no one's mentioned it yet.

I watched last year's Eighth Grade recently expecting to bail out at some stage, but was surprised at how sweet and lovable it was, with a wonderful lead performance. (I know SMBH has seen it already, but thought I'd mention it anyway.)

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks again for all the suggestions, it is appreciated.

Quote from: Twed on October 06, 2019, 10:03:00 PM
One Cut of the Dead

If you haven't seen it that might sound like a joke suggestion, but it isn't

I have seen it, and I'd agree too, I'm not sure it's the sweetest film I've ever seen but it definitely falls in to the most lovable category.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 06, 2019, 11:46:06 PM
The Station Agent

Harold and Maude

So sweet yer teefs will fall out

I adore Harold and Maude a ridiculous amount and it's easily in my top 5 favourite films. I was very fond of The Station Agent too, though not quite as madly in love with it.

Quote from: Troll on October 07, 2019, 01:49:39 PM

LOVE this one

I really liked it too, like The Lego Movie it could have been a shameless cash grab but it's actually pretty fun stuff.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 07, 2019, 04:06:13 PM
My Life as a Dog

spoiler warning: do not watch movie expecting talking dogs

I saw that years and years ago but should get around to revisiting as I have very fond memories of it.

JesusAndYourBush

This Beautiful Fantastic (2016)
It was on BBC2 the other night, I thought it was really nice.  It's on iplayer for a month

(Have they changed the rules regarding films on iplayer, because films never used to be available on iplayer and I assumed it was a rights issue but I checked another recent film and that was on iplayer too, so the rules must have changed?)

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ian Benson on October 06, 2019, 01:20:34 PM
Local Hero.

Quote from: studpuppet on October 06, 2019, 02:38:35 PM
Restless Natives

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on October 08, 2019, 12:18:04 AM
Gregory's Girl

Love Bill Forsyth AND HAVE ONLY JUST THIS SECOND LEARNED THAT RESTLESS NATIVES WAS NOT DIRECTED BY HIM!

Lukas Moodysson's done a few that could be added to this largely commentless list thread, namely Show Me Love (Fucking Åmål), We Are The Best! and particularly Together, the end of which has made me sob with joy. Just seen that LM has made a comedy series for HBO Europe called Gösta. Anyone seen this Yet? Anyone know how?

I wonder what a Bill Forsyth directed Together or a Moodysson directed Gregory's Girl would look like.

SteveDave

Quote from: Rizla on October 05, 2019, 08:42:12 PM
The Castle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Castle_(1997_Australian_film), while since I've seen it but I recall the cockles were warmed.

It's thanks to looking this up that I've found out that the dad from the Sullivans died last month. RIP.

studpuppet

The best thing about The Castle (apart from my kids channelling Denis Denuto when they're trying to persuade their mother - "It's.. it's just the vibe of the thing!"), is the fact that you can rent Bonnie Doon:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/5389205

How's the serenity?!

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 08, 2019, 12:16:24 PM
This Beautiful Fantastic (2016)
It was on BBC2 the other night, I thought it was really nice.  It's on iplayer for a month

(Have they changed the rules regarding films on iplayer, because films never used to be available on iplayer and I assumed it was a rights issue but I checked another recent film and that was on iplayer too, so the rules must have changed?)

some are, some aren't.

helpful

alan nagsworth

Be Kind Rewind is a film I find to be absolutely lovely despite being a bit ropey. It almost feels like it's not a good film and when I think back on it, every memory in my head makes it sound really dumb and sloppy and not very well performed, but I've seen it a few times now and it never fails to sort me out. It's a film about people making naff but oddly endearing and crowd-winning films, and that's exactly what the film itself actually is. Did they intend for that to happen? Whatever it's great.

phantom_power

Quote from: phantom_power on October 06, 2019, 10:20:23 PM

Our Idiot Brother

I think I got this mixed up with Jeff Who lives at Home, which is the actual sweet, lovable film

I really mean it about Tampopo:

Two Japanese milk-truck drivers (Tsutomu Yamazaki, Ken Watanabe) help a restaurant owner (Nobuko Miyamoto) learn how to cook great noodles.

Perfect film.

Urinal Cake

Tampopo is really about the use of prawns for sexual gratification.

Twed

Blinder Data

Love Tampopo and it is sweet but it's also got that bit where the guy and girl continue to erotically transfer an egg yolk between each others' mouths so it loses some sweet points for that

Once is pretty good, short and sweet but not too cheesy, no tragedy, just nice songs and unrequited love and that

Linda Linda Linda certainly fits the bill

Urinal Cake

Tampopo for me the icky bit is the oyster part. The prawns just seemed a bit cruel. The main plot is a nice chaste story about ramen  and the secondary plot is about a gangster who is a gourmand. But they're both about the same themes- sex, food and violence. It's a nice film.

Lost Oliver

Nobody Soup

There is a really nice french film called Ma Vie En Rose, (not La), about a seven year old boy who wants to be a girl. It's perhaps a bit of it's time regarding all the trans rights stuff (though, but really, the absence of all the politics and focus on the human and family aspects makes it all a bit more innocent and lovely.