Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ori and the Blind Forest

Started by Kelvin, October 07, 2019, 12:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Switch trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9npMW39XRHQ

I assume this is worth getting on Switch? Everyone's banged on about how good it is for the last four years, but I'm also not a huge fan of metroidvanias - they often get so flabby, repetitive and disorientating - so I'm looking to get pushed over the edge or pulled back from the brink here.

What are your thoughts on Ori? What are not your thoughts on Ori?

bgmnts

I thought it was shite to be honest.

Kelvin

Quote from: bgmnts on October 07, 2019, 12:32:56 AM
I thought it was shite to be honest.

I think Madhair60 said something similar. That's actually one of the reasons I've hesitated.

Why didn't you like it?

bgmnts

It's one of those indie darling style over substance games for me. Although I will say i'm not the biggest platform bloke but I like more linear, darker experiences (your Limbos and your Little Nightmares etc). If you like basic metroidvania stuff you'll probably like it but not for me.

If you like fairies and trees and saccharine stuff that then you'll like the design and music and story and all that.

However, it got almost perfect reviews all across the board (whether legitimate i dont know) so I am in the very small minority.

madhair60

It's good if you don't really like games at all.

madhair60

If you want a platformer where it's never clear what you can and can't interact with, where you frequently have to drop blindly into spike-filled rooms, where the combat is literally just mashing Y to shoot some nebulous ball of energy, and where the designers didn't feel like balancing it so they let you set your own checkpoints as a crutch, then by all means buy it.

Kelvin

Not liking the sound of this one bit.

prwc

There's a demo up for the Switch version if you want to try it out. I did the same thing and didn't care for it at all either.

I bought it when I first got an Xbox. I hate Metroidvania but dropped it before the MV elements even became a thing. Looks amazing, plays boring af.

falafel

Yet another game that nobody needed to make or play

falafel

Fry

Picked it up after hankering for some more Metroidvania action when I completed, and loved, Hollow Knight. It was boring rubbish and shit.

madhair60

I honestly thought I was the only one who wasn't arsed with this game. Heartening!

bgmnts

So how come this game got overwhelmingly positive reviews? Dodgy bribes or..?

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on October 10, 2019, 03:25:05 PM
So how come this game got overwhelmingly positive reviews? Dodgy bribes or..?

Ethereal soundtrack, "moving" story, metroidvania. Three things shitheads cum in their pants over.

Thursday

I basically played it for less than an hour, and then got to an annoying bit and stopped. The jumping didn't feel good to me, in general the movement and abilities didn't feel good, which seems like a problem in a game.

Thursday

We are all miserable cunts here of course, so any normal people reading this, you can still give it a go you might like it.

Actually I think about a game like fuckin Mushihimesama and the complete silence and stillborn response I get to any thread about WHATEVER I LIKE and then I extrapolate the conclusion that it means ANY game could actually be as good as Mushihimesama but I might be drawing a false poz and yet I get all these pieces of shit because I'm an optimistic POS and I had to sell my fridge to make ends meet.

Thursday

I' don't know what you're talking about, but you're probably right.

Thursday

Just looked up Mushihimesama and I see, it's a shmup/bullet hell things with an anmie girl with tits on the side, I understand now.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 10, 2019, 07:07:48 PM
Actually I think about a game like fuckin Mushihimesama and the complete silence and stillborn response I get to any thread about WHATEVER I LIKE and then I extrapolate the conclusion that it means ANY game could actually be as good as Mushihimesama but I might be drawing a false poz and yet I get all these pieces of shit because I'm an optimistic POS and I had to sell my fridge to make ends meet.

Yeah but bullet hell/CAVE shmups are fucking obtuse in every meaningful way. So fuck knows what I'd say about em.

Erm, I fucking love DoDonpachi and Dangun Feveron, is that some? Fucking class, but never gonna play high level nor am I interested in doing so. I get the buzz of being in the "zone" from Super Hexagon on its harder modes.

I do like the photography-based Touhou games because they marry bullet curtain dodging and precision with realistic goals.

Just wanna say I actually appreciate the replies and I'm gonna do an actual thread on Cave.

If you played and enjoyed DDP, respect. That's the good stuff man, and there's a reason, lots of reasons, why people are still playing that competitively and trying to improve strats and execution and scores twenty years on.

Thurs, it's not really about the tits at all and actually that kind of thing is a strange side note but you got the game, yeah.

H-O-W-L

It looked really pretty and then something immensely terrible, so terrible that I erased it from my mind but so vast and encompassing that it was like a vindaloo fart, turned me off playing it. Very glad I didn't bother with it now.

Lee Van Cleef

Looks like I'm the shithead.

I really liked it, not because of the "emotional" nature of the story, I thought the platforming was tight as hell, the music and visuals are gorgeous, and it felt like the right level of challenge for me. I mean, I cried, but I cried not cause of the story but there were moments of triumph where I was overwhelmed. The first escape sequence took me a good few goes but I thought the way it ratcheted up the tension in all aspects was fabulous, and when I completed it I was so overjoyed.

I mean, I really liked Celeste, but by the end of the C-sides it stopped being "fun" per se and became more an attritional battle to complete the screens.