Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:12:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr. Robot - Season 4

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, October 07, 2019, 06:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Is Price working with or against Rose though? He's annoyed at them offing Angela but he knows they'd happily do the same to him.

Quote from: phantom_power on October 09, 2019, 07:42:32 AM
Why would they stage her being shot in the head like that with only Price as a witness if it was a fake-out anyway? Surely they would do it where at least Darlene or Elliott could see. It was as much a warning as a punishment

Because WR's primary goal was to make Price think she's dead and to anger him into working with Elliot, which I think is the next development after the power play at the end of Ep. 1.

Of course, the explanation for why exactly WR wants all of this is unclear and will only be revealed later in the season.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 09, 2019, 03:46:13 PM
Because WR's primary goal was to make Price think she's dead and to anger him into working with Elliot, which I think is the next development after the power play at the end of Ep. 1.

Of course, the explanation for why exactly WR wants all of this is unclear and will only be revealed later in the season.

Except WR (who Elliot calls "He!") sent Elliot the photo we see I linked to on last page, and there's a time skip - it would anger Elliot into, what, being more of a dangerous enemy?

I think Price and Elliot are teaming up AGAINST WR.

This is your pet theory and kudos if it plays out but I'd be really disappointed

chveik

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 09, 2019, 05:58:41 PM
I think Price and Elliot are teaming up AGAINST WR

that's what I thought too.

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 09, 2019, 05:58:41 PM
Except WR (who Elliot calls "He!") sent Elliot the photo we see I linked to on last page, and there's a time skip - it would anger Elliot into, what, being more of a dangerous enemy?

I think Price and Elliot are teaming up AGAINST WR.

This is your pet theory and kudos if it plays out but I'd be really disappointed

Exactly, WR wants both Price and Elliot to be angry and to start working together against WR. Of course, we don't know for what Machiavellian reason WR wants that or what the twist is going to be.

No idea why you would be "disappointed" when the details of the plot are as yet unknown. You will only be satisfied if Angela is truly dead?

Sebastian Cobb

I'm not sure about Angela being alive, it'd be a good plot twist but her 'dead behind the eyes' schtick for the past series was getting a bit trite, Is there any mileage left in her? Maybe, if they wanted there to be, but then it's not a show that's afraid to kill off characters.

The show has already made it clear that WR is keeping Elliot alive for her own purposes, when others in Dark Army think they should just kill him (and he's still living at his apartment, he's not exactly in hiding - the honeypot was unnecessary if they just want him dead)

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 09, 2019, 06:48:04 PM
Exactly, WR wants both Price and Elliot to be angry and to start working together against WR. Of course, we don't know for what Machiavellian reason WR wants that or what the twist is going to be.

No idea why you would be "disappointed" when the details of the plot are as yet unknown. You will only be satisfied if Angela is truly dead?

Yes. Angela has completed her arc and had nowhere to go. This way she gives motivation to at least three characters.

Throwing that out for LOL FAKE OUT would disappoint me.  It'd also make it two death fake outs in one episode!

Ant Farm Keyboard

You'll get your answer next week. If Portia Doubleday is still part of the main cast, she's supposed to be in the main credits, as the third billed cast member. They could keep her in the credits for the premiere to maintain doubt, or because she was actually featured, but they wouldn't do it for the rest of the season if she's not part of the main cast anymore, because it would mean the actress would be still paid for every episode she receives a credit for.

Mobius

I'm sure we'll see her again but it'll be in a flashback or some drug/mental illness induced vision.

Enjoyed the first episode but really just want to get to the meat of it now. Fucking tell us what's going on in the Congo, and the Washington Township thing and all that..

So it seems like Elliott somehow fixed 5/9? Did that happen last season? I'm confused by his hack and this Congo project and the timeline...

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Mobius on October 10, 2019, 01:04:33 AM
Enjoyed the first episode but really just want to get to the meat of it now. Fucking tell us what's going on in the Congo, and the Washington Township thing and all that.

So it seems like Elliott somehow fixed 5/9? Did that happen last season? I'm confused by his hack and this Congo project and the timeline...

Undoing 5/9 was the finale of last season, Elliot using the hack from the murdered Trenton (I think? The lass) to do a data restore basically.

A lot was going on like. What was the Congo stuff.. As I understand it, the Dark Army was operating as a tentacle of China, who annexed the Congo. Elliot did some bollocks about helping with a shipment. For now, I'm assuming that's covered under the "we have to stop Whiterose" remit, it sounds a bit.. Big, to hack your way out of?

Mr Robot: I hacked my way into this so I'll hack my way out!

phantom_power

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 09, 2019, 06:50:54 PM
The show has already made it clear that WR is keeping Elliot alive for her own purposes, when others in Dark Army think they should just kill him (and he's still living at his apartment, he's not exactly in hiding - the honeypot was unnecessary if they just want him dead)

The honeypot wasn't specifically for him. It was for anyone who delved too deep into WRs business. The question I suppose is why Price's men were the ones to get him out of it.

Puce Moment

Interesting opener, and the paedo hunter theme from the opening of season 1 also came back. I'm pretty sure Angela is dead because, as others have noted, her character's involvement in a moving storyline pretty much ended. If you think about her function in the first season I think they just did not know what to do with her. It also makes for a bold opening statement for the final season.

I also want this to start getting unpicked and opened up. I wanted this also in the final season of The Americans which, although I love, also strung everyone along for far too long. I always liked the way that Breaking Bad's final season started from a point of everything being pretty much out in the open, so that we could deal with the repurcussions from the outset. This slow burn stuff in the final season doesn't appeal to me at all.

Mobius

Didn't enjoy the latest episode. More mindfucky shit. Couldn't give a fuck about Elliott's mum, or another one of his personas.

Quote from: Mobius on October 14, 2019, 05:45:10 AM
Didn't enjoy the latest episode. More mindfucky shit. Couldn't give a fuck about Elliott's mum, or another one of his personas.

Well I thought it was a great cliffhanger, because I have no idea what the resolution is going to be.

NJ Uncut

(avoiding this thread til tomorrow, don't wanna be spoiled)

Edit: came back to brag about uploading the episode before I've even seen it

Phil_A

That opening montage was so much like an Adam Curtis film I was waiting for Price to say "...But this was a fantasy."

Quote from: Phil_A on October 14, 2019, 08:46:00 PM
That opening montage was so much like an Adam Curtis film I was waiting for Price to say "...But this was a fantasy."

The big reveal: Elliott = Mr. Robot = Robert Del Naja = Banksy

Mobius

That was a weird beginning. Big info dump out of nowhere told to us by a character to has never spoken to "us" (unless we are Elliott's 3rd personality but how does that work!!!)

Ah I guess it was a fine episode... just 4 seasons in and I want answers not more questions or more mad 'ohh what's real' stuff..

NJ Uncut

Answers are coming fast I think. Price's monologue was pretty effective for that, really straight forward exposition.

And Price has set up that meeting by resigning, we saw Whiterose ruffled. Was good, stuff is happening. We've finally got an alignment of forces in Elliot, Darlene, Robot and Price.

phantom_power

Who was the person they were talking about visiting that Robot and Elliott both don't remember?

Puce Moment

So does he have a third 'character' and will it be played by James McEvoy?

If he does and they are part of the cast, and have been for a while, who could they be?

Quote from: phantom_power on October 15, 2019, 07:50:24 AM
Who was the person they were talking about visiting that Robot and Elliott both don't remember?

Vera (?) is the drug-dealer guy from way back in Season 1, who murdered Elliot's girlfriend. We saw him with Darlene at the very end of Season 3.

I'd have to look back at how the scenes are shot and the dialogue phrased, but is it possible that Vera is the third personality?? That would suggest the neighbor-girlfriend and the fairly implausible prison break were all fantasy.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 15, 2019, 03:25:56 PM
Vera (?) is the drug-dealer guy from way back in Season 1, who murdered Elliot's girlfriend. We saw him with Darlene at the very end of Season 3.

I'd have to look back at how the scenes are shot and the dialogue phrased, but is it possible that Vera is the third personality?? That would suggest the neighbor-girlfriend and the fairly implausible prison break were all fantasy.

Elliot killing his own gf? I don't see it. But I have no idea who the third man is. I even toyed with it BEING the murdered girlfriend... which would be crazy

Perhaps they gave us a clue in series 2!

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 15, 2019, 04:49:24 PM
Elliot killing his own gf? I don't see it. But I have no idea who the third man is. I even toyed with it BEING the murdered girlfriend... which would be crazy

Perhaps they gave us a clue in series 2!

No way would they make Elliot a murderer (that type of murderer), which is why as noted I think they would retcon some of those scenes as being imaginary.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't see how this third personality can be Vera, given Darlene saw [not] Elliot with him and then [not] Elliot fobbed her off about it. Doesn't make sense.

I thought for a second his mum could be the third personality until she said they were waiting for 'him'.

The dead-mum and sentimental walkman tape dragged a bit.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 15, 2019, 10:54:54 PM
I don't see how this third personality can be Vera, given Darlene saw [not] Elliot with him and then [not] Elliot fobbed her off about it. Doesn't make sense.

I thought for a second his mum could be the third personality until she said they were waiting for 'him'.

The dead-mum and sentimental walkman tape dragged a bit.

Doesn't she say something vague like "I saw Vera again and you told me not to worry about him"? The phrasing was actually what made me think of this possibility. Unless there is a scene in Season 1 where a verifiably real character interacts with both Vera and Elliot at the same time.

NJ Uncut

Maybe the third identity is Tyrell's baby