Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr. Robot - Season 4

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, October 07, 2019, 06:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Season 4?  Fuck a duck, despite good performances the whole concept was ruined in season 1.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Bazooka on October 18, 2019, 04:58:09 AM
Season 4?  Fuck a duck, despite good performances the whole concept was ruined in season 1.

When it was Fight Club with a druggy hoodie with a cute fish hacking paedos betwixt unrelated lesbian kisses...

Gotta say, didn't think Whiterose would drag on as baddie for the full lot

Puce Moment

Yeah, they've definitely stretched this thing out, and it has become quite repetitive. The pilot episode of Mr Robot is just wonderful - one of the best. I don't know why they feel the need to do macro stories instead of micro stories, focusing on Elliot instead of huge, slightly ridiculous global conspiracy.

The reveal of Angela as the daughter of her boss was straight out of a daytime American soap.

Will still watch.

Season 1 is quite firmly my least favourite, even though I still like it obviously. The later seasons are far more interesting and inventive (including the current season if it can be ranked after two episodes). The incredibly implausible, occasionally soap-ish main plot is largely incidental to why I like the show.

phantom_power

I do like the plot in the main but even if I didn't it looks and sounds so fantastic that I would watch anyway. Some of the shots are as good as you would see in a Fincher film

Well, I was wrong about that Vera stuff. Still don't think Angela is dead though.

Apparently as CBT for my severe social anxiety I should try to force myself into situations where there is immense time pressure to steal two-factor passcode credentials from beautiful women in order to steal the bank information of the secret society that runs the world.

NJ Uncut

Time to watch the latest episode with my hoodie up in the dark!

Phil_A

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 21, 2019, 06:07:13 AM
Well, I was wrong about that Vera stuff. Still don't think Angela is dead though.

Don't get your hopes up, Portia Doubleday is definitely gone from the show. Her and Remi Malik were dating and it ended badly apparently. Whether that screws up the arc as it was planned, who can say.

NJ Uncut

Damn, I really liked that episode. Progression, while being quite... personal

Mobius

Bit late in the game to fall in love and get another woman killed isn't it Elliott!

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Mobius on October 22, 2019, 05:29:53 AM
Bit late in the game to fall in love and get another woman killed isn't it Elliott!

He's only 20 odd and you can't choose who you fancy!

She's fuckin great, this new lass. Can't wait for Vera to murder her

NJ Uncut

Mobius

Really shit ending for Tyrell. Another episode where nothing happened. The FBI woman's stuff seemed completely pointless

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, both the Darlene and Dom bits were far too long for what they were attempting to illustrate, and the rest was just a less good version of the Sopranos Pine Barrens episode with a Captain Oates tacked on.

You people are crazy, that was a fantastic episode. What do you want, Michael Bay to ride in on a Transformer on blow something up?

Mobius

Dunno really, just thought it was dull. Tyrell's death was just weird, dead to random Dark Army guy who they happened to stumble across whilst walking lost through the forest. Darlene's whole thing didn't seem to serve much of a purpose. Her brother is unreliable and fucked up... yeah we know. FBI woman's dream sequence... pointless. We already know she's not sleeping and fully paranoid (rightly so) about Dark Army - the taxidermist woman already got the point across, not sure why dream-sequence IRC lesbian posing as horny man was needed

Just didn't feel like a necessary episode. Episode starts with Tyrell appearing out of nowhere. Murdering a grunt, then dying himself, in the middle of nowhere after spending the episode saying how life was pointless and they were going to die out there. Darlene's entire episode was talking to a new (presumably one-off) character about the same old shit...

NJ Uncut

I thought it was great, almost none of it was pointless. No point me rehashing this review mind:
https://tv.avclub.com/everyones-looking-for-a-reason-to-believe-on-mr-robots-1839303610

However I've still got Surprise Fatigue. Just wasn't  into Tyrell finding a thing. A whatever it is. A whatever it can mean. It's still only episode 4 so can jive with them not explaining everything just yet, but there's no closure to some of these loose ends. I think I'd be happier if they even paid some of them service since the initial reveal - but if you didn't know Elliot has a third personality, it wouldn't change the episodes since one iota.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 28, 2019, 10:44:20 PM
Yeah, both the Darlene and Dom bits were far too long for what they were attempting to illustrate, and the rest was just a less good version of the Sopranos Pine Barrens episode with a Captain Oates tacked on.

Ain't seen Sopranos to know if it's more homage or plagiarism, but Avclub raised an interesting point

QuoteThat comparison to The Sopranos' "Pine Barrens" is more than just a critical comparison, incidentally: If you do a Google search for "Pike's Hollow" (the name of the town the woodsy path was supposed to lead Elliot and Wellick to), the first result you'll get is the Wikipedia page for..."Pine Barrens."

Now, today, that just isn't true... but I saw a book called Hollow Pike which sounds like it might hint that IIIT'S A DREEEEEEAM (I hope not)

Lis London thought she'd be safe in the country, but even in the country she can't escape her own nightmares. Over and over, she dreams that someone is trying to kill her.

Lis thinks she's being paranoid - after all, who would want to murder her? She doesn't believe in the local legends of witchcraft. She doesn't believe that anything bad will really happen to her.

But you never know do, do you? Not until you're alone in the woods, after dark - and a twig snaps...

Phil_A

I feel like the series is just stalling at this point, putting off the inevitable showdown between Elliot and White Rose as long as possible because that's basically the endgame of the whole show. And the problem is as there are fewer supporting characters to give storylines to, the time-filling becomes more obvious.

I don't think it's unwatchable or really bad or anything, just incredibly frustrating.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Phil_A on October 29, 2019, 02:35:24 PM
I feel like the series is just stalling at this point, putting off the inevitable showdown between Elliot and White Rose as long as possible because that's basically the endgame of the whole show. And the problem is as there are fewer supporting characters to give storylines to, the time-filling becomes more obvious.

I don't think it's unwatchable or really bad or anything, just incredibly frustrating.

I hope they do an episode of two of Vera the drug dealer. He came back end of last season to set up this one.. then was dropped until a couple of scenes in the last episode... and that's it, so he's doing.. .what?

Can't he be a mini-bad, a baddie Elliot needs to deal with mid season? He's not even mentioned this week. Darlene is out and about and doing what she wants (even if she's miserable).

Speaking of supporting characters..

Where's Leon? Where's the cool dark army fella from last season (retired didn't he)? Where was Elliot's new squeeze this episode?

Ehh.. it's piling up, these Lost plotholes.

A shame, I really do like it still. Just a bit, as I said, surprise-fatigued.

Puce Moment

I felt similar about the final season of The Americans. So many rich, loose ends just left in pursuit of some grand plan.

Wow, thriller of an episode. I think this season is firing on all cylinders notwithstanding you jabronies ITT.

Though one plot question: if Janice/Dark Army are immediately aware of the suspicious Virtual Realty break in, wouldn't they just immediately move their money or whatever and foil Elliot's plans? Hopefully this gets addressed somehow.

NJ Uncut

Holy shit, now that was good Robot

And the whole no dialogue thing! Well, the bookends of dialogue. Fucking great (even if it did seem a lil gimmicky, it was masterfully done)

Plot advanced too. No big answers but.... yeah, that was the stuff.

Mobius

Was a fun episode. The not speaking thing was completely pointless (so that security guard and Dolores didn't utter a single word during the kerfuffle with her gate pass?!) but it was an entertaining episode.

What exactly was the point of Price having to go on a wild goose chase to get the Deus meeting deetz? Hand 20 dollars to the trumpet player and all that...

NJ Uncut

Mobius

I said it was fun and entertaining!!!!

But yeah I do hate gimmicky episodes. black and white noir Sunny and silent Robot in 1 week has pushed me over the edge.

NJ Uncut

Read that link mate it touches on why it's more than a gimmick. The author started at the same place you're at now

phantom_power

Quote from: Mobius on November 04, 2019, 09:42:05 PM
Was a fun episode. The not speaking thing was completely pointless (so that security guard and Dolores didn't utter a single word during the kerfuffle with her gate pass?!) but it was an entertaining episode.

What exactly was the point of Price having to go on a wild goose chase to get the Deus meeting deetz? Hand 20 dollars to the trumpet player and all that...

You see them talking through the glass. It is a silent episode. It doesn't mean no-one in the world talked all that time. We just didn't hear any of it

kitsofan34

I didn't realise no one said any dialogue until I came on here. I may have suffered some sort of brain damage.

Quote from: kitsofan34 on November 05, 2019, 12:09:54 AM
I didn't realise no one said any dialogue until I came on here. I may have suffered some sort of brain damage.

I honestly did not realize it either. Hardly a gimmick if it is that well integrated.