Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:21:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr. Robot - Season 4

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, October 07, 2019, 06:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Uncut

There was dialogue bookending it which was fabulous..

"It's cool dude we don't need to talk"

Then, at the end, "We need to have a talk".

Tyrell's face on a bus was cool, heh!

Sebastian Cobb

Nor me.

I'm fucking shattered though.

Good episode after last weeks dragged a bit.

Puce Moment

Best episode for ages. In the grand narrative they sometimes forget that we really like Elliott just being a super cool hacker type.

My wife noted that there was no dialogue which I hadn't realised. Going to rewatch!

kitsofan34

Quote from: Puce Moment on November 06, 2019, 09:14:17 AM
Best episode for ages. In the grand narrative they sometimes forget that we really like Elliott just being a super cool hacker type.

My wife noted that there was no dialogue which I hadn't realised. Going to rewatch!

Come on mate let's try and concentrate yeah?

Puce Moment

Quote from: kitsofan34 on November 06, 2019, 11:43:18 AMCome on mate let's try and concentrate yeah?

Doing my fucking best! I really am.

A nice, uplifting Christmas episode.

NJ Uncut

Won't be watching til the night, but is it really another Xmas one? It's been, like, three Xmas episodes in a row now

Why? Did they expect it to air a bit later in the year?

Anywho cannot WAIT to see what mysteries are solved!

Puce Moment

Nice episode! Elliott becoming the man who knocks and some nice tense scenes. I'm relieved they are focusing on character.

beanheadmcginty

Only just realised that the baddie is the bloke from Jurassic Park.

Mobius

He'll always be Father Ray Mukada from Oz to me.

Good episode. Anyone a boffin and know what the equations on the board being Whiterose were?

One thing I'm slightly confused about, but what exactly is Elliott trying to stop? Just Whiteroses's mysterious Congo project? Or is he taking down the entire Illuminati? Like when he goes to the new girl 'I can stop them' etc... I feel like with Angela dying, a bit of the personal connection (their dead parents/Washington Township stuff) to all this has gone. I guess he's not entirely sure himself now, just knows he has to see this through.

phantom_power

Isn't the plan to nick all the Deus group's money, stop White Rose from building her "project" and generally fucking them all over?

Mobius

Ah yeah, he wants to nick all their money.

So I think

- Project is ready to go
- Elliott has a hack for Congo Project which'll be released if anything happens to him (which Whiterose is aware of, and is why he isn't escalating his project or moving the date)
- whilst all this happens, Elliott engineers Deus meeting where he'll hack all their phones and steal their cash
- project dies and Illuminati crumble

sound about right?

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Mobius on November 12, 2019, 12:01:50 AM
I feel like with Angela dying, a bit of the personal connection (their dead parents/Washington Township stuff) to all this has gone. I guess he's not entirely sure himself now, just knows he has to see this through.

I think the point of this episode was to show how similar Elliot is to Whiterose (you don't even need what Whiterose said in this episode to draw that parallel; they both go to extreme measures to "make the world a better place"... largely because of personal tragedy)

And Vera, I think is due for a run in with Elliot's unexplained extra personality, who might be in cahoots with Whiterose. Leon'll sort it. Maybe the Dark Army and Vera will clash. Vera's surely a mid-season miniboss

Quote from: Mobius on November 12, 2019, 12:01:50 AM
Good episode. Anyone a boffin and know what the equations on the board being Whiterose were?

Some goon on Reddit says it's a diagram of how wave packets travel, above the Double Slit experiment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment)

So, uhh, more quantum mechanics, perhaps hinting about how behaviour changes if you observe it (based on the lens placement being different than the standard Double Split)... Changing the reality we have already observed or yada yada something like that.

Will this be a controversial turn?

I think the actor who plays Vera is great.

phantom_power

I presume the lack of discussion of the latest episode is because everyone needed a bit of time to get their shit back together after such a brilliant, emotionally draining hour?

Puce Moment

I guess my first reaction was incredulity. I mean, it makes some sense in terms of the entire plot, but it seems an awfully big theme to drop into the show at this stage.

Loved the episode.

phantom_power

I think it is the sort of thing that needs to be dropped in at this stage, rather than sooner. We need to get to know Elliott and Mr Robot and their relationship and traumas for it to have the impact it did.

Mobius

Yeah it was really well acted, deep and emotional and all that...

But I don't understand cus didn't Elliott's beef with E-Corp start because of his dad dying working for them at Washington Township?

Wonder if Darlene knows about the noncing?

So we haven't seen Elliott's actual dad is that right? Christian Slater is basically his mental appropriation of the father he never got to have.

Not sure if Vera needed to come back for this

Quote from: Mobius on November 20, 2019, 08:55:12 PM
Yeah it was really well acted, deep and emotional and all that...

But I don't understand cus didn't Elliott's beef with E-Corp start because of his dad dying working for them at Washington Township?

Wonder if Darlene knows about the noncing?

So we haven't seen Elliott's actual dad is that right? Christian Slater is basically his mental appropriation of the father he never got to have.

Not sure if Vera needed to come back for this

No, we've seen Christian Slater as the real dad in flashbacks, even with some undertones of him possibly being a bit abusive (though not sexually).

Yes, the idealized memory of his dad is the source of Elliott's entire vendetta against E-Corp/the world, which is why it is such an impactful reveal this late in the show's run.

Mobius

Oh yeah I remember that. Being called sick, being told he needs help. What I meant was that the Mr Robot we see every episode isn't Elliott's father as such. Like when Mr Robot left in the last episode because he could no longer protect Elliott, so 'our' Mr Robot isn't a molester? Not sure if that makes sense..

phantom_power

I think Elliott created Mr Robot as an idealised version of his father that didn't molest him. Mr Robot took over whenever the abuse happened to protect him from it

mbedd

hoping for a twist. seems too nasty

mbedd

but we live in horrible times now. when nice things get destroyed. Why the hell does anyone with s brain not want to drown themselves today? World's fuckin over. Parasites won.

Mobius

Really enjoyed the latest episode.

Phil_A

I'm glad the series picked up again after a couple of feet-dragging episodes earlier on, it's really been on a roll in the last few. Given what just went down in this weeks, I was thinking we were at the series finale point already, but apparently there's four more episodes!

I'm assuming Whiterose isn't done yet, but it would be perversely funny if they never actually reveal what her project was.

The only thing that's been bugging me is after Elliott had that mad chase from the cops a few episodes back, they just...stopped looking for him? Seemed like there should've been some consequences from that, given they got a good look at his face and all.

Quote from: Phil_A on December 02, 2019, 09:49:16 PM
The only thing that's been bugging me is after Elliott had that mad chase from the cops a few episodes back, they just...stopped looking for him? Seemed like there should've been some consequences from that, given they got a good look at his face and all.

Well they were ostensibly only after him for trespassing, and it's unclear if the police have photographs of him, and it's literally only been like 5 hours since all of that happened, so I don't find that too much of a stretch.

But in general this show requires a healthy suspension if disbelief to fully enjoy it. (I was ready to tip my TV over last night when Elliott walks right out in front of White Rose and the Dark Army (?!?!), but thankfully it was just a narrative flourish and they didn't immediately capture him.)

phantom_power

They were too busy spiriting Zhiang away after murdering someone in public to worry about Elliott