Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:54:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lodge 49

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 08, 2019, 01:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

Season 1 is on Amazon Prime, Season 2 currently airing in the US.

Anyone else watching this?

Created by author Jim Gavin, it follows Wyatt Russell as Dud, an ex-surfer who finds a ring on the beach, which leads him to discover The Order of the Lynx, an international fraternal lodge with a conspiratorial and mythical history. The Long Beach division is Lodge 49. Brent Jennings is Ernie Fontaine, the Sovereign-Protector-in-waiting - a toilet salesman who is in search of The Captain, a mysterious investor who may be the key to making the sale he needs to get enough commission to retire.

This is a very difficult series to explain to people - but all I can say that, to me, this series is absolutely wonderful. Character-driven, every scene essential, every detail thought out. In a world without any certainty that Twin Peak will return, and with Deadwood now officially over, it may very well be my new favourite series - and I cannot recommend it enough.

rasta-spouse

I had a fair whack at S1 but couldn't get into it. But seeing as S2 is getting very positive reviews I might give it a second go.

My problem with the handful of eps that I watched was that I just had no idea what it was about or where it was going, also it was quite mild. Does it get weirder or supernatural?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: rasta-spouse on October 08, 2019, 02:09:18 PM
I had a fair whack at S1 but couldn't get into it. But seeing as S2 is getting very positive reviews I might give it a second go.

My problem with the handful of eps that I watched was that I just had no idea what it was about or where it was going, also it was quite mild. Does it get weirder or supernatural?

It's a very understated narrative for sure. I love the positive nature of it all - the characters are often struggling with money and are in search of a purpose, usually emerging from tragedy or hard times, and yet in the midst of all of this there's a lot of hope. The sense of community throughout is really quite lovely.

It certainly gets weirder, but I would say that almost everything is there with a purpose - the crows, the coincidences, the symbolism, the imagery. Mythology underlines the entire narrative. Ernie as the Knight, Dud as his Squire - in search of...well, that would be telling, but as the background of the Lodge becomes more apparent, you'll get more of an idea as to where it's heading.

phantom_power

I loved season one and can't wait for two to come onto Prime. It is a real "hang out with the characters" show, with no major plot progression but everything is in the interactions and minor victories and defeats for these characters you grow quickly to love

jobotic

Only watched episode one so far and I loved it. Glad to see there's a thread on here.

jobotic

I'm very slow at these things but watched episode 3 last night. The swimming pool scene and the eulogy were fantastic. I really like this series.

phantom_power

Does anyone know when and if season 2 will appear on Amazon?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: phantom_power on October 16, 2019, 01:48:22 PM
Does anyone know when and if season 2 will appear on Amazon?

Ironically, now that the show has been cancelled it will most likely appear sooner rather than later. Unless it is picked up by another network (they're shopping around) and in which case both seasons will appear on the associated streaming service.

I really do hope they get a third season somehow. It's so utterly joyous.

phantom_power

I loved the first season but could see how it might struggle to find an audience. It is pretty hard to describe