Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:49:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thom Yorke has a lot to answer for

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, October 08, 2019, 06:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm talking about the relentless pervasiveness of his vocal style in music of the last 20+ years.

Example:

Lloyds advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr3ybKC44XQ

Apparently the artist is called Aaron Wright. I'll add it to the pile of other falsetto singing wankers who gradually grated on my tits over the decades: That cunt from Keane, Chris Martin, that cunt from Bastille etc etc

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on October 08, 2019, 06:49:45 PM
I'm talking about the relentless pervasiveness of his vocal style in music of the last 20+ years.

Example:

Lloyds advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr3ybKC44XQ

Apparently the artist is called Aaron Wright. I'll add it to the pile of other falsetto singing wankers who gradually grated on my tits over the decades: That cunt from Keane, Chris Martin, that cunt from Bastille etc etc

but the wobbly head thing came from david gray, who everyone's sort of forgotten about. in fact, I think most of yorke's post "computer" schtick/shtick/whatever-the-fuck comes from david gray. he wasn't like that when they were touring 'bends' or 'pablo honey'.

NJ Uncut

Thom started doing that after seeing Jeff Buckley (think it was what was the breakthrough for Fake Plastic Twee)

I'd blame whoever copies him anyway

alan nagsworth

Johnboy

I remember hearing High and Dry on the radio when it came out and thinking oh there's Jeff Buckley before the DJ put me right

jobotic

I thought that Lloyd's advert was meant to sound like the music from The Bridge, which in turn was meant to sound a bit like Sigur Ros.

I don't really know much by Radiohead or Sigur Ros so maybe I've been blaming the wrong one.

purlieu

Yeah, I'd say this possibly comes more directly from the David Gray / James Blunt end of 'sincere' singer-songwriter strand of things, and even the likes of Snow Patrol and Coldplay over Radiohead, although many of these have a Radiohead influence of some sort.

Thom's vocals have been the weak link in Radiohead's music for me for a long time. He has a broad vocal range and a really powerful voice, but the last time I recall him fully going for it outside of his slightly insipid wail or whine was probably 'Cuttooth'. 'Wolf and the Door' at a push. Always seems like a wasted potential to me.

PaulTMA

I Shazamed some Channel 5 trail for some show to find out what post-Yorke third rate act were responsible and it was something off Amnesiac

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: purlieu on October 08, 2019, 10:01:39 PM
Yeah, I'd say this possibly comes more directly from the David Gray / James Blunt end of 'sincere' singer-songwriter strand of things, and even the likes of Snow Patrol and Coldplay over Radiohead, although many of these have a Radiohead influence of some sort.
I had sort of assumed Gray just vanished after his mega-success in a manner of "right, made a pile of cash, the only way is down from here, so might as well retire". Much as I thought his music was crap, I thought 'well, yeah, I would do the same in that position'.

Turns out he's consistently put music out since, but it's (somewhat mercifully) not cut through the background noise of life, so that even someone like me notices, in the manner of 'Babylon'.

SteveDave

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 09, 2019, 10:20:07 AM
I had sort of assumed Gray just vanished after his mega-success in a manner of "right, made a pile of cash, the only way is down from here, so might as well retire". Much as I thought his music was crap, I thought 'well, yeah, I would do the same in that position'.

https://twitter.com/DavidGray/status/1180039334868770816  😬

holyzombiejesus

"Coming over the horizon next year is 2020."

Shit Good Nose

Once I sat a few seats down from Thom Yorke on a train from London to Bristol.  I said nothing to him and not once did our eyes meet.  Mainly cos we were facing in opposite directions.

And that's the end of my amazing Thom Yorke anecdote.

sweeper

I was listening to his Desert Island Discs the other day, and I was reminded of how much I like him. He's warm, funny and disarmingly frank.

I like his approach to music, too. I think he makes dense, challenging music that mostly doesn't forget that its job is to entertain as well, and provide a tune or a foot tapper.

I think he's a force for good in the world.

I just wish he wouldn't sing. 

grassbath

Agreed, I think Yorke is a nice and intelligent guy, which comes across a lot more now that he's grown into his fame. He's unfortunately picked up the lingering 'aloof miserabilist' characterisation from the post-OK Computer period where he was clearly uncomfortable speaking to the press, plus the same tired old stereotypes about Radiohead.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 09, 2019, 01:41:58 PM
Once I sat a few seats down from Thom Yorke on a train from London to Bristol.  I said nothing to him and not once did our eyes meet.  Mainly cos we were facing in opposite directions.

And that's the end of my amazing Thom Yorke anecdote.

Thom Yorke was travelling towards Bristol? Good heavens why?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 09, 2019, 04:16:56 PM
Thom Yorke was travelling towards Bristol? Good heavens why?

To be with the rest of the bellends probably

NJ Uncut

Tell you what, his new bird is smashing

Inspector Norse

I did go off Radiohead for quite a while and it was mainly his rather one-note, if technically good, vocal style that put me off.
But you can never really blame an artist for their inferior imitators (we don't blame Coltrane for Kenny G, do we?).

One who bugs me a lot is James Blake, who's a really talented producer but who sings like he hasn't taken a dump for five years.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 09, 2019, 07:18:23 PM
we don't blame Coltrane for Kenny G, do we?

I will never, ever, forgive Coltrane for what he's done.

Inspector Norse

Put it this way: no Mozart, no Michael Bubbly.

Jockice

Quote from: Johnboy on October 08, 2019, 08:31:49 PM
I remember hearing High and Dry on the radio when it came out and thinking oh there's Jeff Buckley before the DJ put me right

The thing is I distinctly remember David Gray being compared to Jeff (and Tim) Buckley before he had a hit single, then suddenly it was all 'yuk, insipid commercial crap.' This hasn't got anything to do with Radiohead but then I haven't bought anything by them since the album after the album after OK Computer.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Sebastian Cobb

PaulTMA

Anyone remember this?  Some 'interesting' views in the last column

idunnosomename

Why doesnt he spell it Tom like a normal person. Posh cunt

He was quite nice on DID the other week though. Though it is clear he is fortunate of being a posh cunt.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: PaulTMA on October 11, 2019, 10:00:17 PM

Suddenly the James Bond obsession makes total sense

Enzo

Quote from: PaulTMA on October 11, 2019, 10:00:17 PM

Radiohead? More like Reddithead!

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Enzo on October 12, 2019, 02:15:29 PM
Radiohead? More like Reddithead!

I remember some lass who claimed to be from Oxford going mad on the insufferable Radiohead Reddit with some, basically, photo based time line of Thom meeting this model honey - seems the first time was pre separation or something, but the whole place turned into a drama fest.

Tell ye what, totally ruined the usual vibe of crap Amnesiac tattoos or homemade pottery in the style of one of those bears they did for Kid A.

Radiohead's boss. Fandom? Not so much.

In actual MUSIC chat, I listened to that Ed guitarist "song" that "teased" his new album. Sustain and delay with zero rhythm, wow! Have genuinely no idea what to expect. Suspect it'll be shite or magnificent. I'd take just, honest-to-God guitar songs.