Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:57:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thom Yorke has a lot to answer for

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, October 08, 2019, 06:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 12, 2019, 02:44:33 PM
Fandom? Not so much.
When anyone says "I'm active in X fandom" my brain just wanders off.

popcorn

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 12, 2019, 02:44:33 PM
I remember some lass who claimed to be from Oxford going mad on the insufferable Radiohead Reddit with some, basically, photo based time line of Thom meeting this model honey - seems the first time was pre separation or something, but the whole place turned into a drama fest.

Don't know if it was the same thing, but there was some thread (or maybe several?) where two people who claimed to be friends of Thom Yorke's deceased ex-wife DISHED LOADS OF DIRT about how he'd cheated on her with his current squeeze. Who knows how much truth they were telling, but the level of hate they had for Yorke was pretty funny.

QuoteIn actual MUSIC chat, I listened to that Ed guitarist "song" that "teased" his new album. Sustain and delay with zero rhythm, wow! Have genuinely no idea what to expect. Suspect it'll be shite or magnificent. I'd take just, honest-to-God guitar songs.

I really like the ambient touches he brings to Radiohead actually, creates lovely space and texture, but that track was awful. I was startled at its similarity to countless SOUNDSCAPES I've made with delay and loop pedals and judicious use of the guitar volume knob, and just chucked. It's very easy to come up with something that sounds dreamy and ethereal but difficult to come up with something really meaningful ala Eno. I find the obviousness of the guitar string/fret sounds also quite cheap somehow.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: popcorn on October 12, 2019, 06:04:03 PM
Don't know if it was the same thing, but there was some thread (or maybe several?) where two people who claimed to be friends of Thom Yorke's deceased ex-wife DISHED LOADS OF DIRT about how he'd cheated on her with his current squeeze. Who knows how much truth they were telling, but the level of hate they had for Yorke was pretty funny.

Dunno why you'd find that funny per se, though I'd rather laugh at the Reddit crowd than what I have for them which is tiredness

The fuck though, why hate him if you like the band? Do one or the other!

QuoteI really like the ambient touches he brings to Radiohead actually, creates lovely space and texture, but that track was awful. I was startled at its similarity to countless SOUNDSCAPES I've made with delay and loop pedals and judicious use of the guitar volume knob, and just chucked. It's very easy to come up with something that sounds dreamy and ethereal but difficult to come up with something really meaningful ala Eno. I find the obviousness of the guitar string/fret sounds also quite cheap somehow.

Yeah that snippet was generic and ambient and possibly pointless... I mean, you've done it yourself! I've got an ebow and delay pedals. Not new to me, but surely no Radiohead fan is saying "wow that's dead new"? I mean, Treefingers yeah

Ed mate, hasn't it been six years in the making? What's he doing, Music for Airports 3 but.. well, you said: sub-Eno?

Was that SOUNDSCAPE "influenced by Brazilian music" do you reckon?

popcorn

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 12, 2019, 09:52:29 PM
Dunno why you'd find that funny per se, though I'd rather laugh at the Reddit crowd than what I have for them which is tiredness

The fuck though, why hate him if you like the band? Do one or the other!

Oh they didn't like the band. They were on Reddit purely to talk shit about Thom Yorke and how he'd betrayed their friend (his ex-wife) and educate the brainwashed fans. Quite entertaining reading iirc.

popcorn

Rolling Stone:

QuoteWhile they were taking time off, Radiohead-inspired groups like Travis (whose 1999 breakthrough LP The Man Who was produced by Godrich) and Coldplay began hitting the scene.

Thom Yorke: Oh, did they? [His voice dripping with sarcasm] They're still there, aren't they? I was really fucked off about that because they were doing that and they'd deny it. It's one thing to say, "We're influenced by this." But they were doing it and slagging us off. That wasn't cool. [Note: To be clear, Yorke didn't reference a single specific group.]

Nigel Godrich: Something would come on the radio and he'd look at me funny and I'd be like, "What are you so upset about?" He'd be huffing and puffing like someone copied him. I'd say, "You're just imagining it. Look, it's a guitar with some drums behind it. You didn't invent that. You were copying someone else. Just relax." I think that's a byproduct of being so focused on what he wanted to do that he figures he's the only person that's ever had that idea. [As far the Travis comparisons] I just think that's lazy journalism. It's a guy singing in falsetto with an acoustic guitar. But if that's what made him go away and do something different, at least it lead to more interesting times.

NJ Uncut

I remember some ol Kid A era interview that's probably on Youtube where someone nice asks Thom about doing a solo thing and he just shoots down the question really bitterly as if it's a ludicrously offensive question to do anything without his life-support that is Radiohead and going solo is beyond trite

(I don't have a point, just find the juxtaposition of Thoms amusing, people are allowed to change)

popcorn

I think it's very odd how he and Godrich went on a headline-grabbing anti-Spotify campaign a few years ago, but now all of Radiohead and Yorke's solo and side projects are on there. As you put it, people are allowed to change, but in this case I think he owes the world an explanation, even if it's just "I gave in". What if you had been persuaded by his arguments and canceled all your streaming subscriptions? Does he have some new information that means those arguments are no longer valid, and you can now get your subscriptions back?

NJ Uncut

Quote from: popcorn on October 14, 2019, 09:22:28 PM
I think it's very odd how he and Godrich went on a headline-grabbing anti-Spotify campaign a few years ago, but now all of Radiohead and Yorke's solo and side projects are on there. As you put it, people are allowed to change, but in this case I think he owes the world an explanation, even if it's just "I gave in". What if you had been persuaded by his arguments and canceled all your streaming subscriptions? Does he have some new information that means those arguments are no longer valid, and you can now get your subscriptions back?

Sounds like you don't appreciate the fact you can click on the Concerts tab and click through to buy gig tickets.. off Ticketmaster!!

(Why isn't he fucking going mad at this?)

I still like him I guess (as much as I like any artist I haven't met - which I prefer to do through the art) but since the Atoms for Peace era I've basically assumed "mid life crisis". Not sure who he is exactly now. It's different.

If he's not compliant with fucking Ticketmaster and Spotify, then.. say... something... Thom... mate. Half a million followers for his solo stuff on Spotify. I mean, hardly ka-ching with Spotify's shitty deals, is it?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 09, 2019, 07:27:57 PM
Put it this way: no Mozart, no Michael Bubbly.

mozart was the oasis of his day. utter wanker.

idunnosomename

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 14, 2019, 10:18:55 PM
mozart was the oasis of his day. utter wanker.
if only noel had had the decency to die in 2002 though

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: SteveDave on October 10, 2019, 02:52:00 PM

That leather jacket looks shite on him, he hasn't even broken it in properly. Looks brand new. And he's pouting. And he's going bald. And his wifey is fit. Need I go on?

Hat FM

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 16, 2019, 09:04:59 AM
That leather jacket looks shite on him, he hasn't even broken it in properly. Looks brand new. And he's pouting. And he's going bald. And his wifey is fit. Need I go on?

he was going bald in 1996 wasn't he? i thought he had a hair transplant.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: SteveDave on October 10, 2019, 02:52:00 PM

I'm looking at that & thinking "you miserable twats, both of you." yes, the jacket looks like a piss-poor choice, but they haven't even got the decency to act like they enjoy being where they are, well-off & with people wanting to take their pictures.
of course, it's a still- we don't know what happened five seconds earlier. maybe he tried to sneak one out & it made more noise or smell than he expected & she's aware & so forth. that sort of thing would make me laugh, though, no matter where I was or what colour of carpet I was being papped on. I'd just be like "get out & walk! sorry lads- pub lunch!"
so fuck the both of them.

Johnboy

he was never any good at presenting himself for PR and the like was he

can't even manage decent banter between songs, bad form

thenoise

I suspect it's a faux-leather jacket, which at least fits in with his save-the-trees credentials.

Did they meet at the same hair salon?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I have a confession to make: I've just bought a leather biker jacket just like that, like I'm Marlon Brando or something, and I reckon mine is way better than his. Yeah, it could be faux leather actually, and it looks wank. However, he's an internationally renowned rock star, and I'm just a bum.