Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pitchfork's 200 best albums of the 2010s

Started by Johnboy, October 08, 2019, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassbath

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 09, 2019, 02:17:06 PM
Swans *clap hand emoji* are *again* problematic

Is this why they've not included them? That is disingenuous, and dumb.

sevendaughters

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 09, 2019, 05:08:23 PM
Wait what happened with Ariel Pink?

dissed Grimes in a non-PC way after Ariel reveals he was offered Madonna writing gig
https://pitchfork.com/news/57467-ariel-pink-calls-grimes-stupid-and-retarded/

got "maced by a feminist" (story was received as Ariel using the f word pejoratively)
https://pitchfork.com/news/56089-ariel-pink-i-got-maced-by-a-feminist/

had a playfight on stage with his then partner which was interpreted as him mocking abuse victims
https://pitchfork.com/news/ariel-pink-addresses-recent-gross-onstage-behavior-i-cant-defend-it/

was accused of being a lifelong misogynist by the Quietus
https://thequietus.com/articles/10133-ariel-pink-beta-male-misogyny

generally there has been an air of "this guy is a bit of a creep" about him. i am not sure how true any of it is really.

sevendaughters

btw I think it's likely they didn't include Swans, Ariel Pink, and a host of other acts I think are GREAT because they didn't have enough writers who went to bat for them ahead of Wu Lyf and The 1975. that's music journalism, start your own zine.

holyzombiejesus

I was told by someone who would know (and also not a bullshitter) that Aerial Pink has a reputation as, and there's no toning this down really, a rapist.

mojo filters

I was surprised not to see Sun Kil Moon's Benji somewhere on there.

Are they still pissed off about that business with Laura Snape's brittle spirit? I thought that only lasted as far as deep-sixing the original good review of Universal Themes.

Cuellar

edit:Been answered innit

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 09, 2019, 05:08:23 PM
Wait what happened with Ariel Pink?

Dunno but you've just got to look at him. 100% wrong'un

Cuellar

chveik

well I'm glad I don't need them to find good music

Inspector Norse

Yeah Ariel Pink is a pretty well-established tube, and there is an element of him playing it up for attention too, which is rather distasteful.
He definitely has it talentwise, although I find a whole album nigh on impossible to sit through because he's one of those "auteur" types who insists on putting absolutely all his ideas on record no matter how bad, unamusing or grating they are.

Inspector Norse

Anyway I just looked at the first ten and jaysus, while they were once pretentious but generally interesting, they now seem to have plummeted off the post-themselves edge. Lil fucking Peep? Wu Lyf?

Inspector Norse

Wasn't that PJ Harvey record just a Guardian Weekend article transposed onto vinyl?

Inspector Norse

To be fair to them there are a lot of things I like there, and a few things there that I am particularly pleased to see getting perhaps unexpected recognition. Examples! Nicolas Jaar, Skee Mask, Jlin.

I'd probably put the Kendrick album at number one, though I can see that Beyoncé and Kanye might have made more popular impact. Are they better? Don't think so. And Frank Ocean always struck me as being really, spectacularly, emphatically OK.

sevendaughters

I always felt Blonde would be really good when he finished it. Channel Orange is a much better record.

Inspector Norse

They snuck out their 200 best songs of the decade yesterday as well.

Hey look! I'm number 24!

peanutbutter

Songs list is a much more fun encapsulation of the decade, have to say I've never gotten why Alright is the standout Kendrick song for so many. It's a great song on a fantastic album but it's not one I single out much ever.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 09, 2019, 06:59:57 PM
Anyway I just looked at the first ten and jaysus, while they were once pretentious but generally interesting, they now seem to have plummeted off the post-themselves edge. Lil fucking Peep? Wu Lyf?
Star Shopping is a tune, perfect piece of soundcloud rap

Leo2112

Quote from: grassbath on October 09, 2019, 05:22:01 PM
Is this why they've not included them? That is disingenuous, and dumb.

Pitchfork has changed in the last ten years, probably due in part to the Conde Nast takeover.  They are now utterly, utterly terrified of running counter to the popular cultural climate.  Before I don't think it's unfair to say they were unafraid of championing some genuinely boundary pushing stuff, and music was judged more on its own merit.  Since then writers such as wokefinder general Laura Snapes have a much more prominent voice in its editorial content.  It's not surprising looking at this latest list to find albums such as Taylor Swifts shoehorned in there - an album they originally didn't even bother to review which now finds itself as the 59th best album of the decade.  There's loads of great stuff promoted on there still, but I think it's this attitude which sees yer problematic stuff chucked out to make way for The 1975.

Titanic Rising is better than all of these.

Frank Ocean? What the fuck are they hearing? I think he's perfectly good (even great) but not especially exciting.

chveik

not a lot of electronic music in there too. it's still quite populat though

rue the polywhirl

So 7 out of Pitchfork's top 10 tracks are female solo artists, Solange even, and the other 3 are rap artists. Bit bonkers when 9 out of the decade's best tracks are by Ed Sheeran and the other one is Daft Punk by Get Lucky. Languishing in 114th it was. Are we really supposed to believe there are 113 better tracks than that, and that 100 of them are by Solange?

Grouper
0pn
Huerco S

Some great stuff in there but a list largely representative of their shift in focus to R&B and pop and pop rock. They used to align with my tastes pretty helpfully but we've both changed.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 09, 2019, 08:00:51 PM
They snuck out their 200 best songs of the decade yesterday as well.

Hey look! I'm number 24!

And you're the highest place song that I recognise! God I'm old.

Brundle-Fly

Is there a general rule that nobody can be over forty to make this list? Nice to see Julie Holter's Aviary got a nod, although I preferred her previous album.

Butchers Blind

I've listened to nine of these.  Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

SteveDave

I know loads but lots and lots of that is P4k repositioning itself as the white voice of black music, basically. That's fair enough, a lot of these songs are culturally a lot more relevant in the States than over here but relatively few are actually any good.

The only stuff in either list that I'm habitually familiar with is St Vincent and Lana Del Rey, and their assessment on both is a bit incorrect.

imitationleather

I've listened to twenty-one of those albums. To be honest, that's a far higher amount than I was anticipating.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 09, 2019, 07:25:59 PM
Skee Mask

Absolutely love that album, one of my favourite of the last couple years, and funnily enough it was through Pitchfork that I found it. Don't suppose you've got any recommendations for similar stuff?

kngen

Chief Keef at 13 in the 200 best songs list: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

In Pitchfork terms, I think that means: 'I find this scary black man quite unsettling, therefore this must be genuine hip-hop.'

Which is probably why there's nary a mention of Aesop Rock, but - then again - could he spit hot fire like this:

QuoteA fuck nigga, that's that shit I don't like
A snitch nigga, that's that shit I don't like, nah
A bitch nigga, that's that shit I don't like, nah
Sneak dissers that's that shit I don't like
Don't like, like, don't like, like
A snitch nigga, that's that shit I don't like, nah
Don't like, like, don't like, like
A bitch nigga, that's that shit I don't like, nah

I enjoyed the Skepta video though - filmed on the mean streets of ... the Barbican Mezzanine!

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: imitationleather on October 11, 2019, 11:33:35 AM
I've listened to twenty-one of those albums. To be honest, that's a far higher amount than I was anticipating.

Would you say they were particularly good albums?