Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pitchfork's 200 best albums of the 2010s

Started by Johnboy, October 08, 2019, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on October 11, 2019, 04:58:32 PM
Would you say they were particularly good albums?

Most of them: Not particularly I guess.

I liked Flying Lotus and a few of the others I've already forgotten. I am not going through all 200 again to remind myself. I don't care if you pay me A MILLION DOLLARS.

(I will do it if you pay me a million dollars really.)

peanutbutter

I've definitely listened to 16 of the top 20, potentially 19. Wouldn't be surprised if I've heard the entirety of at least half of the 200 albums actually.

Hundhoon

im not really into all this Beyonce and Solange stuff they are putting near the top of the list, or Lana  Del Ray at number 9.
Pitchfork is definitely more commercial orientated. i dont go on it anymore.

i thought the decade was really good for music, much better than the noughties the list was better than i expected not terrible, lot of good stuff in there, but yeah it seems more pop orientated in general.  there was not much electronic music on there.

Returnal by OneohTrixNever should have been there and Salems King Knight also something by Lone or the Bug.

sevendaughters

Beyonce solo is....aggressively decent. The real howler is the Carters record she did with hubby. Just billionaires wanting you to worship them for being woke. Just fuck off and make some art.

Just fuck off and kill yourselves you rich borin bastards you mean

lankyguy95

Basically no heavy music in there at all. I mean, come on, you couldn't at least have squeezed a Gojira record onto the list?

Bazooka

Pitchfork has been trash for a decade, it can only aim downwards from here on out.

kngen

Quote from: lankyguy95 on October 15, 2019, 05:54:18 PM
Basically no heavy music in there at all. I mean, come on, you couldn't at least have squeezed a Gojira record onto the list?

Well, they managed to get Deafheaven in there (and Pallbearer's not-as-good-but-more-palatable 2nd LP). I'll give Pitchfork one thing: they are continuing NME's rich tradition of solipsism masquerading as music coverage. A genre of music couldn't possibly exist until they hear it for the first time, and even if it did, it's vastly inferior to the iteration to which they've just been introduced.

Sunbather came out - what? Six ... seven years after Alcest's Souvenirs d'un autre monde? - when those chumps from Deafheaven had barely thrown together some shitty grindcore band, but yes, Pitchfork, it was Deafheaven that thought of mixing shoegaze with black metal.

Quote from: Pitchfork idiot'To the chagrin of black metal and hardcore purists, Deafheaven also seemed determined to evade any distinctions between one brand of wall-of-sound catharsis and another, teetering endlessly between ecstatic chaos and the melodic romance of '90s shoegaze and post-rock.'

No, to the chagrin of black metal purists, you hailed a sub-genre of music that had been around for nearly a decade as something new and revolutionary, completely missing the point about what made black metal from the previous decade so interesting in the first place, but black metal people be like 'Duhh, this doesn't sound like Mayhem, so is super-gay' and you're like 'wow, I'm so open-minded and cutting edge'.

I mean, Agalloch released Ashes Against the Grain in 2006 - and they're from Portland! Right under their fucking noses!

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 09, 2019, 11:34:24 PM
Songs list is a much more fun encapsulation of the decade, have to say I've never gotten why Alright is the standout Kendrick song for so many. It's a great song on a fantastic album but it's not one I single out much ever.

Agreed. But it's more of a "message" song than the more obvious singles like 'King Kunta', 'i' and 'These Walls'. It's catchier than 'The Blacker the Berry' and less angry. And 'Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe' wasn't on TPAB and has the word 'bitch' in the title. These are the sorts of marketing arithmetic exercises that pitchfork writers have to go through before they have an opinion.

Pauline Walnuts

NME's list of the '10's is out:

https://www.nme.com/features/nme-best-albums-of-the-decade-2010-2019-2580278

I could't get past that Muse cover. My eyes were burning at it's ghastliness.

kngen

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 30, 2019, 11:14:10 AM

Ha! The Vaccines - so glad they reminded me about them (and NME's tireless, breathless championing of some of the most bland, nothing music I've ever heard: the very definition of 'landfill indie').

I wonder, when they were putting this list together and going through the archives, they thought: 'Christ, we really went overboard on them, didn't we? The internet has a long memory. We better stick them in the high 90s and then hope no one really notices.' When they write 'it's an album that has aged spectacularly too', do you think they meant 'aged spectacularly well' - because missing that all important qualifier is the most honest thing they've written. It's aged so poorly, Post Break-Up Sex sounds like a student band's attempt at being a C-grade Half Man Half Biscuit, but forgetting to be funny, witty or convey character and pathos – I listened to it again, and I was transported to a gig in some grey tech college's Nelson Mandela Bar in the 80s where I was only there for the 70p pints, and even the band's girlfriends talked through the their set.

purlieu

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 10, 2019, 07:59:58 PM
I know loads but lots and lots of that is P4k repositioning itself as the white voice of black music, basically.
There's definitely a bit of a guilt-ridden shift from white middle class indie-rock and IDM, which pretty much defined Pitchfork 1998-2004. I'm suspicious about its actual integrity, in that a lot of people have suddenly shifted their tastes from one style to another never feels very honest. A site like Pitchfork which, on a day-to-day basis, reviews pretty much every type of music around, should realistically have 'of the year' and 'of the decade' albums that reflect that, but despite the number of high scores they give to jazz and ambient albums, they'll still be drastically under-represented in the lists because the site has an overall image to keep up. Regardless of what that image is - and I'm overall much happier that it has an element of social awareness in leaning towards black artists these days - it still removes any sense of real integrity from these lists.

chveik

I've seen the same thing happening in a lot of these online zines and I think it's really hypocritical. what's the point of pretending that you enjoy Beyoncé or some shite like that

sevendaughters

they're under the Conde Nast umbrella and doubtless the very expensive purchase of that property was not done without some graphs and stats pointing out what drives the clicks.

kalowski

Nice to see Kacey Musgraves there with Golden Hour.

purlieu

Quote from: chveik on November 30, 2019, 08:16:37 PM
I've seen the same thing happening in a lot of these online zines and I think it's really hypocritical. what's the point of pretending that you enjoy Beyoncé or some shite like that
I don't think people are pretending they like it. I know plenty of people who genuinely love Beyoncé. Just that the lists are somewhat skewed to represent an image of what people 'should' be listening to.

Bazooka

I fucking hate lists, but have some morbid draw to look. Regardless of the outlet, Lil Peep is getting mentioned at least.

idunnosomename

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 30, 2019, 11:14:10 AM

still not as bad as the biffy clyro tree bending under the weight of little bags of dogshit

imitationleather

About half of the NME's list is Arctic Monkeys albums.

Quote from: chveik on November 30, 2019, 08:16:37 PM

Same reason you pretend to get 'worked up' about various problems in society.

chveik

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 02, 2019, 10:18:34 PM
Same reason you pretend to get 'worked up' about various problems in society.

fuck off you tedious cunt.

SteveDave

buttgammon

Remember the thread someone posted recently which linked to some godawful website that was full of wankers moaning about 'chavs'? The NME list is from the exact same place and time. I find it genuinely hilarious that there are pockets of Britain where it's still 2005.