Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:50:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical Artists* You Won't Have In Your House (* in recording terms)

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, October 12, 2019, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on October 12, 2019, 02:53:53 PM
Death in June

I almost feel guilty for not getting on with a few bands from that scene, like Current 93 and Swans.  I like tons've Industrial stuff (S.P.K., Savage Republic etc.), but those three have a bit of a heavy tread for me, like they're the musical equivalent of a rusty iron ocean liner.  Totally, 100% get why that would be a sexy proposition for some.  Death In June have neofolky Nazi connections, though, so particularly fuck those guys.

chveik

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 14, 2019, 12:35:54 AM
I almost feel guilty for not getting on with a few bands from that scene, like Current 93 and Swans.  I like tons've Industrial stuff (S.P.K., Savage Republic etc.), but those three have a bit of a heavy tread for me, like they're the musical equivalent of a rusty iron ocean liner.  Totally, 100% get why that would be a sexy proposition for some.  Death In June have neofolky Nazi connections, though, so particularly fuck those guys.

they aren't from that scene. do you mean Coil?

Sin Agog

No, Swans, but Coil too now that you mention them.  I think it's 'cause no matter if they're trying to have a fling with folk or drone or whatnot, I can smell the metal in their blood, and that was the one genre entirely absent from my musical nascency so I'm just sorta hardwired not to respond well to it, even in its most subtle of forms.

chveik

hm. I just don't really see the connection, musically and ideologically.

Sin Agog

They all emerged from the British post-post-punk industrial/goth era*, all dallied with industrial folky shit in the early '90s, and they all threw their house keys in the same fruit bowl and slept with each other's wives.

*Swans' first album came out in '83, Coil's in '84, Current 93 '84, DIJ '83...  They also all sound of a piece to me, but then things you don't particularly like tend to lose their distinctive edges.

chveik

I get it for the others but it doesn't quite work for Swans though, they're from the US and were mostly influenced by the no wave movement. and I don't think Gira cares too much for Crowley and the pagan stuff.

anyway, it's all about perception isn't it.

pigamus

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 12, 2019, 05:32:52 PM
The Beatles obvs.
Rolling Stones
Bowie, although I have one track on the Glastonbury Fayre album, a traitor to the aesthetic
Prince, barring an early Porcupine Tree cover
Elton John
Oasis

Oh you poor man.

Sin Agog

Quote from: pigamus on October 14, 2019, 01:35:33 AM
Oh you poor man.

I'm always fascinated and slightly jealous of one-sound music fans.  Blodders knows what he likes, and it's this soft-focus fusiony psyche thing.  Doesn't need aught else.  Catchiness cannot catch him.

My mum runs a local radio station out of my little sister's old bedroom, and I accidentally walked in there last week as a-- well, I think he called himself a 'chakra massager' was showing off a massive box of what must have been over a thousand home-recorded Maxell cassettes of Trance music.  Mr. you're a better man than I.

Neville Chamberlain

I'll have none of that sludgey droney ambient black metally stuff in my house, thanks, or any band that describes themselves as "progressive metal". A bit like what yer old fellow Sin Agog says up there, even if a band isn't actually metal, I can smell in some weird, can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it kind of way if they're coming from a metal direction or background or whatever. It seems to add, at worst, a level of cheesiness or childishness that might not otherwise be there or, in its more subtle expression, a sort of contrived, studied seriousness that I find unappealing. (That said, I make a huge, huge exception for a band like Voivod.) Likewise, though in a positive way, I can sniff a punk attitude a mile off, even if it's manifested itself in the form of a progressive or psychedelic or avant-garde rock band. There's a rough-edgedness I find that so much more appealing, even with the super-complex stuff.

Other bands I will not have in my home:

Post-Syd Pink Floyd - A cliched view, I know, but they are they are the very definition of utter, utter brain-melting tedium and I do genuinely think they are complete and utter shit.

Black Sabbath / Led Zeppelin / all that lot - Lumpen, stodgy old bollocks.

I'm sure there are loads of others.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 14, 2019, 01:46:59 AM
My mum runs a local radio station out of my little sister's old bedroom, and I accidentally walked in there last week as a-- well, I think he called himself a 'chakra massager' was showing off a massive box of what must have been over a thousand home-recorded Maxell cassettes of Trance music.  Mr. you're a better man than I.

Christ - that's bleak.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on October 14, 2019, 10:06:49 AM
I'll have none of that sludgey droney ambient black metally stuff in my house, thanks, or any band that describes themselves as "progressive metal". A bit like what yer old fellow Sin Agog says up there, even if a band isn't actually metal, I can smell in some weird, can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it kind of way if they're coming from a metal direction or background or whatever. It seems to add, at worst, a level of cheesiness or childishness that might not otherwise be there or, in its more subtle expression, a sort of contrived, studied seriousness that I find unappealing. (That said, I make a huge, huge exception for a band like Voivod.) Likewise, though in a positive way, I can sniff a punk attitude a mile off, even if it's manifested itself in the form of a progressive or psychedelic or avant-garde rock band. There's a rough-edgedness I find that so much more appealing, even with the super-complex stuff.

Other bands I will not have in my home:

Post-Syd Pink Floyd - A cliched view, I know, but they are they are the very definition of utter, utter brain-melting tedium and I do genuinely think they are complete and utter shit.

Black Sabbath / Led Zeppelin / all that lot - Lumpen, stodgy old bollocks.

I'm sure there are loads of others.

With you on every word of this post, right down to Voivod. 

marquis_de_sad

Death in June came out of the punk scene. As has been said though, the main reason to dislike them isn't their dreary music but their Nazism.

SteveDave

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Clash
New Order
Gary Glitter

All as bad as each other, in a way.

greenman

Can, Velvet Underground, Talk Talk, popularist trash of the worst kind.

Icehaven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 12, 2019, 05:32:52 PM
The Beatles obvs.
Rolling Stones
Bowie, although I have one track on the Glastonbury Fayre album, a traitor to the aesthetic
Prince, barring an early Porcupine Tree cover
Elton John
Oasis

You'd rather jack, than Fleetwood Mac.